Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally got er done

SANOLS1

Corvette
2004 Millenium Yellow Coupe
6 Months after moving into my new home, I finally got the carpet and glue off the garage floor that the previous owner had installed.:r

A little concrete grinding, industrial sealer, 6 layers of epoxie and 2 coats of urethane later I now have a place to relax and enjoy. :D

Just added a new beer fridge this weekend, now I never have to leave. :beer

SANOLS1 said:
6 Months after moving into my new home, I finally got the carpet and glue off the garage floor that the previous owner had installed.:r

A little concrete grinding, industrial sealer, 6 layers of epoxie and 2 coats of urethane later I now have a place to relax and enjoy. :D

Thats cool, now all you need is a big flat screen TV and a lazy boy.

6 Shooter said:
The dog looks like it's in protection mode . . .

Yep, you want to get in this car you have to step over him. He's always been a house dog but now he prefers the garage. :duh

SANOLS1 said:

GREAT JOB.

A trivia question: what was your process for grinding the concrete? Rental machine, cost, time, etc.:w

bob kissinger said:
GREAT JOB.

A trivia question: what was your process for grinding the concrete? Rental machine, cost, time, etc.:w

The crew spent two entire days tying to deal with the carpet glue to no avail. It was so embedded in the float layer of concrete that the only recourse was to grind it all off. I went out and rented a 10" grinder form United Rentals at the cost of $149.00 for a day. I picked it up on my way home from work and did my 630 sq' garage in about 3 hours. I took off approx 1/8" of the surface. Most of the time was spent cleaning out the shop vac filter. I could do about 50 sq ' before I was overcome with dust. It makes a big mess but the final result is you get a perfectly clean and porous surface for the sealer to bond to. That is a must. You can see some of the swirl marks in my pictures. If I had to do it again, I would practice using the grinder on my neighbors driveway when he wasn't home. :D It's pretty easy to let the thing get away from you and take off more than you really wanted to. I started in a far corner of my garage for just that reason. Good luck!

So did you tape off the floor and do the black (or white) first, then let it dry, then re-tape and do the other color? then when dry clear over it all?

ruby76 said:
So did you tape off the floor and do the black (or white) first, then let it dry, then re-tape and do the other color? then when dry clear over it all?

3 layers of white first then they taped off every other row of squares and painted black. Once they were dry, masked the remaining rows of squares. A lot of tape but I really like the finished product. After all the epoxie dried, two coats of industrial Urethane. They said to wait 72 hours before driving on it but I gave it 5 days to totally cure. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom