Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally got my electrical system fixed.

Corvette
2002 electron blue Z06
It was pretty obvious after it was fixed, but it had baffled me a couple of years. It had gotten much worse over the last two months.

I had purchased a replacement battery a couple of years ago. I kept getting low voltage warnings, flickering headlights, etc. I finally decided to replace the battery again a few months ago. The problems continued, including the dreaded column lock, activation of the fuel cutoff, etc.

It turns out that the holes in the side of the new battery are slightly shorter than the bolts that attach the cables. So I could torque those bolts down all I wanted and the connection was still loose. The mechanic used some new bolts and ground off a very small amount off the end and reinstalled the cables. The gremlins are gone.

I hope the rest of you are better mechanics than I am. Oh well, live and learn. :L

That is definitely a new one, congrats on finding the cause. Funny how a simple thing no one would imagine can cause so much frustration. I'll definitely add this one to a list of double checks. Out of curiosity which battery was it, someone else might have similar trouble and never think twice about checking the length of screw and depth of tap. Thanks, Zig.:w

Exide Orbital

handles.jpg

It was pretty obvious after it was fixed, but it had baffled me a couple of years. It had gotten much worse over the last two months.

I had purchased a replacement battery a couple of years ago. I kept getting low voltage warnings, flickering headlights, etc. I finally decided to replace the battery again a few months ago. The problems continued, including the dreaded column lock, activation of the fuel cutoff, etc.

It turns out that the holes in the side of the new battery are slightly shorter than the bolts that attach the cables. So I could torque those bolts down all I wanted and the connection was still loose. The mechanic used some new bolts and ground off a very small amount off the end and reinstalled the cables. The gremlins are gone.

I hope the rest of you are better mechanics than I am. Oh well, live and learn. :L

I have seen this problem multiple times (actually a lot of times, over many years). That is why you should always wiggle the cables (side posts) or twist the clamps (top posts) after tightning the bolts to make sure the connections are tight.

:w Jim,

I'm sure Abby will be looking at a Battery Change sometime soon, she still has the original battery.

My question is... Is the battery you replaced in your Z06 a direct replacement for the original battery (according to the battery mfr.) ??

Bud

:w Jim,

I'm sure Abby will be looking at a Battery Change sometime soon, she still has the original battery.

My question is... Is the battery you replaced in your Z06 a direct replacement for the original battery (according to the battery mfr.) ??

Bud

Bud-

I think it is the one recommended by Exide for the Corvette. But I bought it at Schucks, so it is not OEM. I told the guy at Schucks what car I had and that is the battery they suggested. The manager at that store has a C5 himself. ;shrug

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom