Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fire fire fire !!!

Fire Fire Fire !!!

About 3 years ago my engine was stumbling as I pulled into my garage. I shut it off and opened my hood to find gasoline dripping from my 14" open air filter. Not thinking clearly I cranked it over to re-start it and KA-BOOM. A raging fire! Fortunately I just happened to have my home generator running and my 3/4" garden hose pulled into my garage and I immediately began drowning the base of the fire with water and finally got it extinguished. The cause was the hollow plastic floats that Holley used to use and the front float had filled with gasoline which caused gasoline to spew out of the front vent, saturating my 14" "open" air filter, and pouring into the enormous cavity of my Air Gap intake manifold. When I went to re-start it a spark in the HEI touched the hot fumes off and away it went. Considering the size of the fire and how long it burned I was very lucky as my '71 suffered very little damage.

But this thread isn't about the fire or the damage it caused but rather what is needed to extinguish a fire. Shortly after the fire I went to Walmart and bought a fire extinguisher for about $11. As our C3's age they become more prone for shorts and leaks and other unforeseen problems so it's best to carry a fire extinguisher at all times. The cost is minimal and you could save someone's life if you come across a wreck and a fire erupts. I would be in favor of laws making fire extinguishers mandatory in every highway vehicle. For the minimal cost what do you think?

Attachments

• 1971 Corvette Fire Extinguisher 001.jpg
    1971 Corvette Fire Extinguisher 001.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 99
About 3 years ago my engine was stumbling as I pulled into my garage. I shut it off and opened my hood to find gasoline dripping from my 14" open air filter. Not thinking clearly I cranked it over to re-start it and KA-BOOM. A raging fire! Fortunately I just happened to have my home generator running and my 3/4" garden hose pulled into my garage and I immediately began drowning the base of the fire with water and finally got it extinguished. The cause was the hollow plastic floats that Holley used to use and the front float had filled with gasoline which caused gasoline to spew out of the front vent, saturating my 14" "open" air filter, and pouring into the enormous cavity of my Air Gap intake manifold. When I went to re-start it a spark in the HEI touched the hot fumes off and away it went. Considering the size of the fire and how long it burned I was very lucky as my '71 suffered very little damage.

But this thread isn't about the fire or the damage it caused but rather what is needed to extinguish a fire. Shortly after the fire I went to Walmart and bought a fire extinguisher for about $11. As our C3's age they become more prone for shorts and leaks and other unforeseen problems so it's best to carry a fire extinguisher at all times. The cost is minimal and you could save someone's life if you come across a wreck and a fire erupts. I would be in favor of laws making fire extinguishers mandatory in every highway vehicle. For the minimal cost what do you think?

The fact that your C3 is going to catch fire again has nothing to do with the age of the vehicle.

Fortunately I just happened to have my home generator running and my 3/4" garden hose pulled into my garage and I immediately began drowning the base of the fire with water and finally got it extinguished.

You probably will just tell me I'm wrong but water is not recommended for extinguishing a fuel fire. It can even cause the fire to spread.

Shortly after the fire I went to Walmart and bought a fire extinguisher for about $11.
The cost is minimal and you could save someone's life if you come across a wreck and a fire erupts. I would be in favor of laws making fire extinguishers mandatory in every highway vehicle. For the minimal cost what do you think?

Certainly not a bad idea, I believe it is law in some countries.

Water Is Certainly Better Than Nothing

My garden hose was the only thing I had to fight the fire but it did manage to dilute the gasoline enough to put it out. It's certainly bad news when our fiberglass C3's burn to the ground but you may be able to save someone's life if you carry a fire extinguisher with you. My Walmart extinguisher isn't very big but little is better than nothing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom