Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fired up Silver78 today!

78SilvAnniv

With the help of Jeff (JRMaroon) and Bob (bobchad) over the last several weeks, today Kenny and his brother did the final gremlin chasing, accessory hookup and hose connecting...then we fired up the 78 this evening!

Idle bounced around a little bit, but we got her smoothed out. Still need to do a better job with timing, but she sure sounds sweet! You can definitely hear the cam, even though it was a pretty small change from the original cam. The exhaust really blows out the tailpipes and pushes a lot of air.

I took her for several short drives up and down the street and each time she seemed to run smoother. (Was that just me?:D) The tranny seems to shift a little differently now and the exhaust definitely sounds more aggressive. She isn't very 'snappy' on the throttle when moving, but Kenny says she needs to seat, break in, fine-tune the timing and possibly overhaul the carb.

We have oil and filter on the shelf waiting for the first oil change after the breakin period.

Looks like I'll be tearing up the roads in no time!
Heidi

Congratulations !!!!

Wow,
I must have really missed alot over the last couple of month's ? New engine in Silver ? Here's to Miles of Smiles... :upthumbs :upthumbs

:pat
Steve.

YAY, always great when they are back on the road

Congrats Heidi!

Glad to hear things are going well. Had mine out today, took my 2 year old on a nature hike... it was 95 out! By the time we got back, I was really happy I had the AC redone last year!

See 'ya... Brian

:v

P-ColaVette said:
I must have really missed alot over the last couple of months?
New engine in Silver?
Well, it all began last October when I kissed #4 piston and the intake valve bending it and its pushrod. It took us 6 months to pull the engine, replace heads with new ones built specifically for my application from the speed shop and replace #4 with a Napa piston and get the 78 back on the road.
Kenny took a fall in the garage and landed on a floorjack, breaking several ribs in December...that really slowed our progress.
When we got her back on the road, it only lasted for about a month before we began having serious problems. It seems the Napa piston had deeper oil rings than what came with the crate, so we were losing mass amounts of oil. ALSO, the intake manifold gaskets had slipped and cylinders were 'sharing' function.
*This time around, we purchased the same Felpro gaskets (black w/ blue lines), and I observed that the bolt holes are very large and would allow the gasket to slide around. We put on some dots of adhesive to hold the intake gaskets in place. If we have trouble in the future, that is where we are looking first, and I will buy the cheaper felpro gaskets if they need to be replaced.

So, we pulled the engine AGAIN, and decided to bite the bullet.
The block and crank went to the machine shop and we purchased all new internals. We also replaced the cam. When Kenny pulled the cam I watched him roll it on a glass tabletop and it appeared to have a slight bend in it. About where #4 was located...:eek:

We also tried to order a new #4 piston from GM. :mad After they shipped in the incorrect one twice and wanted to charge us either $90 or $150 for ONE PISTON... we decided to take my slightly dented original #4 to the machine shop and he said if he cleaned up the rough edges of the dent it should be just fine.

Bob and Jeff came over several weekends and assisted Kenny in assembly and we just fired it up yesterday. I called both Jeff and Bob so they could hear the sweet sounds of exhaust!
Heidi

Nice going guys. Isn't it a good feeling to get a Vette going again?:)

Happy trails Heidi!:w

Pete.

Congrats Kenny & Heidi!

We are about to experience the same thing. Our 'old girl' is having the engine finished off today, so the first firing should be around lunch.
We replaced our pistons as for one the block was honed to 20 thou over and secondly the original GM pistons were designed 40 years ago. Piston technollogy has advanced since then and there are now far superior pistons on the market. The new pistons oil better and are lighter than the GM bits.

Looks like we will be wearing a :D today, just like you guys!

:beer
Tony & Tanya

Given that the L48 engine is rated at 185 hp (or is a 175?), is it a forgone conclusion that, when the engine is out getting rebuilt, that enough performance goodies (cam, etc) should be put in to "muscle it up"? I am not in that position yet (just got the title and insurance today), just curious about how y'all feel.

Congrats Heidi& you to Kenny:D I know its been a long tough road, But anything FUN is worth waiting for!!!!! Its REALLY heart-warming to hear that Two fellow Vette LOVERS jumped in to help out!!!! Take your time & tune that thing up before you drive it to much. Keep a CLOSE eye on the oil level & enjoy it!!!! BEST OF LUCK with it & keep us posted:Steer

pasvorto1 said:
Given that the L48 engine is rated at 185 hp (or is a 175?), is it a forgone conclusion that, when the engine is out getting rebuilt, that enough performance goodies (cam, etc) should be put in to "muscle it up"? I am not in that position yet (just got the title and insurance today), just curious about how y'all feel.
There are very few 'purists' here... MOD AWAY! And yes... it was 185.

Yes...congrats are in order from one SA owner to another!

Heidi,

Have followed your story with the SA and am so glad to hear that she is back on the road again!!:D Happy ending!

Elaine

Very cool!!! I bet it was the day you've been looking forward to for a long time! Enjoy that hotrod but don't leave her out at night....I want it. :L

cheers

78SilvAnniv said:
Well, it all began last October when I kissed #4 piston and the intake valve bending it and its pushrod. It took us 6 months to pull the engine, replace heads with new ones built specifically for my application from the speed shop and replace #4 with a Napa piston and get the 78 back on the road.
Kenny took a fall in the garage and landed on a floorjack, breaking several ribs in December...that really slowed our progress.
When we got her back on the road, it only lasted for about a month before we began having serious problems. It seems the Napa piston had deeper oil rings than what came with the crate, so we were losing mass amounts of oil. ALSO, the intake manifold gaskets had slipped and cylinders were 'sharing' function.
*This time around, we purchased the same Felpro gaskets (black w/ blue lines), and I observed that the bolt holes are very large and would allow the gasket to slide around. We put on some dots of adhesive to hold the intake gaskets in place. If we have trouble in the future, that is where we are looking first, and I will buy the cheaper felpro gaskets if they need to be replaced.

So, we pulled the engine AGAIN, and decided to bite the bullet.
The block and crank went to the machine shop and we purchased all new internals. We also replaced the cam. When Kenny pulled the cam I watched him roll it on a glass tabletop and it appeared to have a slight bend in it. About where #4 was located...:eek:

We also tried to order a new #4 piston from GM. :mad After they shipped in the incorrect one twice and wanted to charge us either $90 or $150 for ONE PISTON... we decided to take my slightly dented original #4 to the machine shop and he said if he cleaned up the rough edges of the dent it should be just fine.

Bob and Jeff came over several weekends and assisted Kenny in assembly and we just fired it up yesterday. I called both Jeff and Bob so they could hear the sweet sounds of exhaust!
Heidi
congrats on the refit, they sure sound great after being off the road for a while. lost four months of great cruising myself [another silver driver] waiting
for a new manifold to come in from the states. remember run her in nice and she will treat you likewise. by the way was yours a L82, as mine sounds really
cammy stock.
ernie, [ life begins at 300 hp.]:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom