Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Firewall Insu. and carpet padding

65stinger

Corvette
1965 Nassau Blue Conv
I've got my all my dash out now and am looking to get some new insulation for the firewall and while I'm at it, I'd like to go ahead and get some padding or heat sheilding for under the carpet. ANy suggestions as to what type and where's the best place to get it.......Thanks.

I don't know about the best place, but, I'm thinking that Long Island is the place to buy, since much of the stuff originates from there anyway.

If you order the firewall insulation, remember to order the clip set that holds it to the firewall (7 per set in '67 anyway). I also ordered the $5.00 installation tool #30C.

http://www.licorvette.com/pdfcatalogfiles/cat22/12.PDF

By the way, I got the heat shielding from www.Zip-Corvette.com
It is cut to fit, and I'll soon be seeing just how well it does fit.

I am undecided about whether to re-install the original sound deadener as well as the heat shielding and carpet. It may be too bulky (thick).

heat-barrier-350.jpg

The gold colour is the camera flash.

What was original? Did the firewall have both, the sound deadener and insulation or just the insulation. Also the second reply you mentioned the heat sheid as well, ....you were talking about for the carpeting correct?

65stinger said:
What was original? Did the firewall have both, the sound deadener and insulation or just the insulation. Also the second reply you mentioned the heat sheid as well, ....you were talking about for the carpeting correct?
Yes, both (#49 and #28), as are shown in LI's catalogue.

The heat shield in my photo is for under the carpeting, and is not a factory-original kind of item.

Ok, thanks for the help. I going to order first thing in the mourning. I thought I might as well and go ahead and replace that stuff while my dash is completely out as well as my wiper motor. I take it they are probably the best to get the carpeting from as well.......again thanks.

The upper dash area (forward of the wiper linkage, the curved area that forms the bottom and rear of the plenum below the outer vent grilles) had glued-in-place jute insulation, and the vertical area below that used the dash mat insulators with the pressboard facing, secured with the rubber retainer pins - both are shown in the A.I.M. in UPC 1-Asm, Sheet D8.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom