Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

first oil change?

Q

qbolyf

Howdy all,
We just took the plunge and purchased our first Corvette. A 2002 Magnetic Red Coupe.

The service advisor recommended that we have the first oil change at 3,000 miles.

Is there any consensus on when the first oil change should be done?

thanks in advance,
jeff

There are many opinions on this one, some say at 500 miles, others say 1000 miles, I did mine at 3000, the owners manual just says when the change oil now message appears. They also have a caveat that mentions sooner under severe conditiions.
My personnal opinion, (for what it's worth) is 3000 miles, that is a happy medium between being too cautious and those who never think about routine maintenance. Those who change at 500 miles usually use the reasoning of the new engine / break-in oil needing to be removed and replaced, but the oil from the factory is not special break-in oil, it's just 5W30 Mobil1, and if there happens to be some metal produced during the break- in period, the oil filter takes care of that.
I'm pretty sure somebody else will jump on this with another opinion, it does seem to be a hot topic among Vette owners.
BTW, I have had three Vettes now, and I don't treat the engines any different than my other cars in respect to routine maintenance. My 1993 had over 146,000 trouble free, non-oil using, non-leaking miles when I traded it in on my 2002 ZO6.
By the way, congratulations on your purchase, nice color choice that's a beautiful color!
vettepilot

I did mine at 1500 miles . 500 miles would be good , save the oil and run it through a coffee filter and use it in the lawm mower . It takes a while to do but the oil will be clean .
Thanks,
Joe
How do you like the magnetic red ? It looks really cool at night , even in a lighted parking lot and in bright sun light .

Thanks for your replies. I thought there might be a few ideas on this.

The Mag Red does look great! Even under flourescents.

I have to pinch myself to believe that I get to drive this fine machine. What a kick!

jeff

Welcome to CAC and congrats on your new Vette. You will truely enjoy the experience. I would change the oil at 3,000 miles. It should be just fine as long as you don't drive it hard, than I would replace it sooner.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom