Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First time drive in a Corvette

Toms007

Corvette
2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
A little background information. I am a high school teacher near the end of my career and my principal for the last 9 years is a great guy a couple years older than I. He was brand new to the district (about a month on the job) when I bought my 94 in September 2004. He took a shine to that car, but would never take a ride in it.

He's not a big, overweight guy, but a track/cross country coach that doesn't have the best knees anymore. His wife is also a high school teacher here. Last fall while they were having their Equinox serviced, "Mr. O" saw a Corvette sitting on the showroom floor, and decided this was his opportunity to sit in one. From his and his wife's description it must have been quite comical. With his bad knees (he had just had knee surgery) he crawled into it somehow and when he tried to get out he got all tied up and ended up literally crawling out of it leaving everyone in the place rolling on the floor laughing.

In February Mr.O announced his retirement and inevitable move. One day shortly after this I was in his office wearing one of my Corvette polo shirts and he said to me, "Would you give me a ride in your Corvette before I leave?" I told him "No, I won't give you a ride, but I'll let you drive it." He responded with "You'd let me drive your Corvette?" "Sure, why wouldn't I?"

Well, the school year is winding down, we have one more day. Today we had a little party for him and gave him some gifts. when they were done, I got up and told them the request and said today is the day Mr.O gets to go for a drive. I also told him That I parked it in the handicap parking place for him. He laughed and told everyone the story of his experience.

The drive went well. "Mr. O" has permagrin. When we got out to the car I taught him how to get in and out, gracefully. Then we got in and I showed him a few things and I expected him to want to just putt around town, No, we went to the corner and he headed straight for the open highway. Got to the edge of town and he started pushing the go pedal a little at a time and I kept looking over to see the speedo gradually climbing, 60, 70, 75, 80, 90. I almost said something to him thinking he wasn't aware of how fast we were going, but then I noticed his eyes looking down at the speedo with this huge grin on his face. "She sure is smooth at 110mph" he said to me. I had to smile myself.

When we turned around I told him to step on it. He pushed down a little and I said give the guns and he pushed a little more, and I said "push it to the floor man". He did and from about 30mph it spun the tires and took off. Don't think I have ever seen him smile like that before. The next thing I know we are doing about 125 and gaining rapidly on a mini van. He backs out of it with a sh!t eating grin that won't stop. "Man, Tom, that was worth it."

When we got back he thanked me about 10 times. I had to go in to talk to his wife about a student, he comes carrying a table in from our dinner, and without a hesitation, he said to her, "Hun, I want one of those." She just ignored him. He came in a second time and said, "Did I tell you, I need one of those?" She rolled her eyes. He came in a third time and said, "Did I tell you I need one of those?"

PERMAGRIN. I love it!

Great story, thanks for sharing. I hope he gets one, life is too short.

Awesome!! Make sure he signs for the CAC as it sounds like he's hooked!

-Mac

Sorry officer Mac......we really didn't go over 65mph...........:D

I'd love to see Mr.O get a Corvette, but to say he's tight doesn't even come close more like a shrink wrapped butt pucker. :chuckle

Great story Tom
One he'll never forget!!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Good story.....I hope he gets one someday......since he is tighter then bark on a tree you may have to remind him you can't take it with you........:D

I have Marcus, he thinks he's got a way to do it though. :chuckle

That is an OUTSTANDING story! Thanks for passing it along. Permagrin should be in the fold soon, hopefully! :Steer

Like I try to tell people who don't understand what it means to drive a Corvette; if you consider driving to be pleasurable at all (meaning you view it as something more than just the process of getting from point A to point B in the most efficient manner), then a Corvette makes driving not just a pleasure, but an experience! :v

At lunch today, we were talking about Mr.O's drive and he walks in and somebody asked him "How was your drive yesterday?" He got that big grin again and said "It was FUN!". Just thinking about it just makes him grin ear to ear. I asked his wife "Is he starting to look for a Corvette?" and in a disgruntled voice she said "Probably". I said "He doesn't have to look very far, I'll sell him mine." In a frantic voice she says "Oh, NO YOU WON'T." We all had a good laugh at her.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom