Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First time owner 1990

Joe8915

Corvette
1990 Blue Steel
My dream has came true. I just bought my first vette. Ok, here is a couple of easy questions.
64000 miles standard trans coupe

1. Should I go ahead and install plugs and wires?
2. New serp belt?

It does not miss and the belt looks in good shape. I guess Iam being maybe a little paranoid.

Anything else should I be concern at 64000 miles?

thanks

If it's not broke don't fix it. You will have enough opportunity to fix things as they become necessary. At 64K the most important thing you can do is to drive the car for extended trips so it gets fresh new gas and totally warmed up. You might want to put some injector cleaner in it and some dry gas.:beer

Wow, that is just what he said as well. I guess Iam from the old school. I just don't want any Surprises. injector cleaner any special brand? And how often should you use it?

I don't have any particular brand of cleaner. My idea is to go to the parts store and buy the most expensive on the shelf. I figure the better it is the more it costs. Thats what I did with my 93 when I bought it with 67K on it. I took off for the day and drove 500 Miles. That was far enough for me to have to refill the tank. After the first 100 miles the car was runnig much better, it had a smoother idle and a lot more performance. A side benefit to this drive was I got comfortable with the car and enjoyed it the way it was designed to be enjoyed.:v

Welcome to the forum and the world of Corvette fun

Congrats on a great car!

The ’90 is nice year, you have the second generation cockpit and the 1st generation exterior (which I’ve always liked).

If it hasn’t been performed already, here’s what I would service on a C4 if I had just acquired it. I’m the kind of guy that would do these things for my own piece of mind. May be overkill, but gives you some things to consider.

1. Drain and flush the radiator

2. Check air intake at front and back of radiator for debris (leaves, cigarette butts, etc)

3. Install new air filter (and or) clean if it’s a K&N and lightly re-oil

4. Drain power steering fluid, replace with new

5. Check all underhood hoses integrity

6. Clean injectors

7. Inspect tires on all surfaces (inside sidewalls as well) for any trouble.

8. Lube all ball joints (upper and lower) Can’t remember if the ’90 C4 has the fittings at the rear. They’re easily accessible up front.

9. New serpentine belt is an easy thing to service. Save your old one and keep it in your rear cover storage compartment if you use your ’90 on a long trip. Not sure how easy it would be to locate a ’90 serp belt in an out of the way place, especially the doulble-sided ribbed ones

10. You could tackle the spark plugs and wires if you are so inclined. But if everything is running fine, that’s one I’d probably wait on. I HATE CHANGING PLUGS!

11. Engine/oil and filter change would be a given

12. Replace Positive Crankcase Venation Valve (PCV valve)

13. New transmission fluid. Not sure about changing the autos tranny filter (’90 have the auto tranny filter?)

14. Lube all contact points that require it. Underhood, doors, etc.

15. Drain differential fluid and replace with new, may need differential additive that will help keep noise down

16. Lube all weather stripping: under hood wheel well strips, doors, targa, rear window, You can purchase this at your GM service department.

B17Crew
:w

perfect, just what I needed. Thanks alot. Been a ford man, first time chey man. I might as well go for the best that I can afford

You’re welcome! :upthumbs

and... welcome to the CAC!

One thing I just remembered is:
Turn your headlights on, take a walk to the front of your car and see if the headlights have begun to “yellow”. At 17 years old, it may need new headlights.

There are some detailed write ups here on the CAC as to how to change a C4’s headlights. There are headlight beam adjustment screws that you do not want to mistake for the screws that secure your lens assembly. If I can find a link, I will post it here. Usually you can use the “Search” to find information here on the CAC.

B17Crew

Good list B17

Great list B17. You might want to replace that fuel filter also. Welcome to CAC and enjoy that Vette. I know I've enjoyed mine.:D

Dennis

Great list B17. You might want to replace that fuel filter also. Welcome to CAC and enjoy that Vette. I know I've enjoyed mine.:D

Dennis

Great suggestion!

One more thing I just remembered...

Turn radio on so antenna mast is fully extended. Clean antenna mast with mineral spirits and a clean cloth (it’s good to periodically clean the mast).

B17Crew

Thought this quote from another thread might be informative.

"With '85-88 Bosch injectors, do not use cleaning additives in the gas tank. Fuel-system cleaners are not recommended, by GM, because of the kinds of materials used in the fuel tank bladder, fuel O-rings, and fuel line hoses. If cleaning is required, use the GM specified procedure. On the other hand, Multec injectors, in the '89-01 models, do not need cleaning, and doing so could damage them."

This was taken from Ken's post, which was taken from Charles Probst book "Corvette Fuel Injection."

One thing to make sure you do, dont buy any more fords:rotfl

Multec injectors

Thought this quote from another thread might be informative.

"With '85-88 Bosch injectors, do not use cleaning additives in the gas tank. Fuel-system cleaners are not recommended, by GM, because of the kinds of materials used in the fuel tank bladder, fuel O-rings, and fuel line hoses. If cleaning is required, use the GM specified procedure. On the other hand, Multec injectors, in the '89-01 models, do not need cleaning, and doing so could damage them."

This was taken from Ken's post, which was taken from Charles Probst book "Corvette Fuel Injection."

So is Multec injectors are type I have then? Thats good to know. I was just about to pour in some injector cleaner.:puke

I have been using Shell gas for a number of yrs in all my cars. It is advertised as having more cleaners than other brands. I can say that I have never had a dirty injector problem,and I never buy injector cleaner.The main thing is to stay away from cut rate gas, the reason they are cut rate is that they have the bare minimum additives. Additives equal clean engine and even improve mileage and preformance.

Glenn

Don't know if it is true but I was recently informed that all gas comes out of the same tank at the tank farms. Additives for each company stations are added to the tanker trucks when they fill up there.

Boy this is all over the board here. Just this morning I had a little hard time starting the car. I think it just because it sat around all winter (maybe). Still new at this corvette thing. The car runs great when on the road. I did add a full tank of gas, thinking maybe that would clean it up. Iam trying to think what should I do. I would like to add some injector cleaner, but from reading other post and searching this fourm, it sounds like not a good idea.

Now think maybe I should call the dealer and ask there opinon. But it usually the guys (corvette owners) in the trenches know more than the dealer.

Any more ideas bring them on. Thanks for the great feed back on this.

My dream has came true. I just bought my first vette. Ok, here is a couple of easy questions.
64000 miles standard trans coupe

1. Should I go ahead and install plugs and wires?
2. New serp belt?

It does not miss and the belt looks in good shape. I guess Iam being maybe a little paranoid.

Anything else should I be concern at 64000 miles?

thanks

Welcome to the CAC - it has the greatest vette owners in the world who are willing to help you- and soon you will be helping other new members as you gain knowledge on your car. Since you have 64K on the clock, I suggest you look very closely at the water pump for drips - they go out around 50 -70K miles. Also, since you have a standard tranny, look at the clutch mater cylinder for fluid levels. How old is the battery? If you need to change it out, don't try to pull it out, but remove it through the fender wells. There are several publications on how to change the battery.
I have a C4 and it is a blast to drive.
Have fun driving the coupe. We do need pics.
Barrett

Injector cleaner

Boy this is all over the board here. Just this morning I had a little hard time starting the car. I think it just because it sat around all winter (maybe). Still new at this corvette thing. The car runs great when on the road. I did add a full tank of gas, thinking maybe that would clean it up. Iam trying to think what should I do. I would like to add some injector cleaner, but from reading other post and searching this fourm, it sounds like not a good idea.

Now think maybe I should call the dealer and ask there opinon. But it usually the guys (corvette owners) in the trenches know more than the dealer.

Any more ideas bring them on. Thanks for the great feed back on this.

There appears to be many opinions on injector cleaners but a friend of mine (who's an ASE certified mechanic for a local chevrolet dealer) told me that some of the over the counter type injector cleaners will cause a breakdown of the O-rings in the injectors. I would assume this would take quite some time to break down. Hopefully someone here with a lot more mechanical experience will chime in with some suggestions on how to clean the injectors. ;shrug

I think LittleRedFlatBack is right.

I have a few paragraphs from :BOW Gordon Killebrew :BOW that support what LittleRedFlatBack brought up regarding injector cleaning. I’m at work at the moment, my resources are at home, so I will try and find it and post it here later.

B17Crew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom