Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First timer with questions (C5)

Bad Boy

Corvette
2003 Torch Red Coupe
Hi, all! Bought my first Corvette about 3 weeks ago (C5, 2003 Hatchback) and have been loving it! Had a few questions though, not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes:
1. What is everyone using for a phone holder? I have an LG Stylo 6 (roughly 3" by 6.75") and want it mounted just to the right of the steering wheel so I can use it as a GPS.
2. The car came with General G-Max AS-03 tires all around and I notice a loud 'howling' between 25-35MPH which gets somewhat quieter with speed. I asked the saleman on the test drive if that was the tires and he said 'yes' but I'm not sure about that. Any suggestions?
Thanks! -- Bad Boy

Hey bad boy, Welcome to CAC! :w I'm going to move your post to C5 General to get a little more exposure to the correct audience.

Not familiar with those tires, but, tires can definitely make sounds at different speeds, so wouldn't surprise me if it WAS the tires. We DO need pictures of your new ride though..... :cool!:

Looks like a pretty aggressive tread pattern, guessing they will be noisy.

I've had the Goodyear Eagle GS run flats on since I bought it. Is there better options for less noise and/or performance? The rear 18's seem to be out of production at the moment as well. TYIA.

First off a WELCOME, is in order, Monkey! :w How long have you owned your car? Do you want to keep the run flats? What is your use of the car....drive year round or is it a seasonal car, basically street driven or track occasional HPDE use? All these things will affect the choice of tires.

Me personally, my car is not driven on the track, and I drive it sometimes when the temps are below 40, so I need an all season tire. I also live out in rural Kansas, where it might be 40-60 miles to the next town, so I like the piece of mind that the run flats give me. I put Michelin AS3 run flats on my 2001 when I had it. My "James" (2)007, It had Kuhmo RFs when I bought it, but they were pretty worn , so bought Firestone RFs. They performed admiralty, but were a summertime type tire, and driving them over a mountain pass in late fall with it snowing, was a bit dicey. So when the time came for replacement (last year), I went back to the Michelins.

I hope this sheds a little light on your decision making.

First off a WELCOME, is in order, Monkey! :w How long have you owned your car? Do you want to keep the run flats? What is your use of the car....drive year round or is it a seasonal car, basically street driven or track occasional HPDE use? All these things will affect the choice of tires.

Me personally, my car is not driven on the track, and I drive it sometimes when the temps are below 40, so I need an all season tire. I also live out in rural Kansas, where it might be 40-60 miles to the next town, so I like the piece of mind that the run flats give me. I put Michelin AS3 run flats on my 2001 when I had it. My "James" (2)007, It had Kuhmo RFs when I bought it, but they were pretty worn , so bought Firestone RFs. They performed admiralty, but were a summertime type tire, and driving them over a mountain pass in late fall with it snowing, was a bit dicey. So when the time came for replacement (last year), I went back to the Michelins.

I hope this sheds a little light on your decision making.
Toms007 thanks for the welcome. I bought mine in July 2002. Been mine since. I have not had it on a track, just open roads where I live. In the last few days, I have found out that the Goodyear's are back ordered for quite a while. I decided to put some Michelins on next week. I'll get a few photos up soon. Thanks again for the welcome and the great info.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom