Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

first vette...I wish

K

kmac

Did any of you have ideas of what your first vette would look like before you ever bought it?!? For example, I love most blues that I've seen, and I've been looking at 80-82 models. I ran across this car the other day, and nearly swerved off the road rubber-necking.

I'm not sure if my cash flow is right at this point & time, but we'll see.
Thought I'd share the car w/ you guys (and gals):

fdac970c.jpg
fdac970e.jpg

Looks like one beautiful '81. Drive it and see what you think.

Good luck in your hunt......... Nut

Looks nice! So where is it located, I just might find an excuse to swing home for a weekend:D.

- Eric:w

I always thought mine would be a Yellow '72 model.
That's what I was looking for the whole time.
Then reality set in and told me "Hey, if you're gonna buy this thing, it has to be a daily driver! There's no way you can plop down 20 grand for something that has to stay in the garage."
My wife thought otherwise. She said "What difference does it make which car costs more, one of them will be sitting while you're driving the other one anyway."
I just love that girl.

:)
C V Man

This makes me think. I had wanted a vette since I was a young teenager. I came very, very close to buying a '67 when I was 19 years old. However, at that age the insurance would have killed me, so I had to take a pass. Then came along a wife, kids, mortgage, kids college tuition, etc . . . years before, I had forgotten the dream.

A while back, I was struck with an intestinal infection that kept me in the hospital for a week and very nearly took my life. As I lay there for that long, long week, reflecting on the things that I had not yet accomplished, I remembered how badly I had always wanted a vette. As soon as I got out of that hospital, I started looking . . . found my dream car . . . red with black interior 1975 Stingray . . . 1975, the year I graduated from High School.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you got the itch, scratch it . . . you never know what tomorrow holds . . .

Dark thought, I know. But hey, life is short so enjoy it!

She is a beauty and a sister of the one in my driveway, they are a real head turner as all Vettes are. Those that watch you drive by are wanting one too, just as you did. Keep us posted if you buy it, you will enjoy the ride.

Best of Luck

Chuck

I didnt know what color I was getting I just new that I would buy one. I saw the red/oyster and that was the end. I pass a 1980 Dark Blue Metallic everyday on the way home from work and everyday I say out loud " that is a nice car!"

Kmac
What a great looking vette. The color is one of my favorites. Listen to rpounds. "You never know what tomorrow holds..." You have the itch and it won't go away until you get yours. You will NOT be sorry once you get your vette. A vette can change your life like getting married or having children. Spend the money on your dream! It's only paper! :D
Scott

Rpounds says: A while back, I was struck with an intestinal infection that kept me in the hospital for a week and very nearly took my life. As I lay there for that long, long week, reflecting on the things that I had not yet accomplished, I remembered how badly I had always wanted a vette. As soon as I got out of that hospital, I started looking . . . found my dream car . . . red with black interior 1975 Stingray . . . 1975, the year I graduated from High School.

Suzanne Says:
Ya know, rpounds, I have to agree with you....and how I acquired my 82CE was based on some life changing experiences too. Both my mother in law and father passed within 10 weeks of each other just 6 months ago. Unfortunately, I come from a very small family on both my husband's and my side of the family and their deaths left me nothing short of devistated.

Seeing my father and mother in law pass on so soon and suddenly made me realize very quickly how fragile my own mortality really is. And I asked myself this question, after taking care of the husband's education, raising the kids, mortgage and everything else that has taken priority in my life, that it was my time to realize my own dream of owning a 1982 Collector's Edition Corvette.

Since the day this car was built, I swore that one day I would have one of these cars, but life and it's priorities took on a spin of it's own and owning a CE was just a dream.

To make a long story short, with the money my father left me I finally fulfilled a dream that was with me for 20 years, and know of no better way to invest that money.

I know that my dad is smiling on me down from heaven knowing how much fun I am having enjoying this car and how happy I am driving it. He wouldn't have it any other way. Everytime I turn the key, I think of him and how greatful and privelidged I am for this precious gift he afforded me.

Thanks, Dad.
(sorry this thread has taken on a different spin)
Show%20Photo.jpg

Vette%20by%20Water.jpg

Suzanne,

Beautiful vette . . . I'm sure it brings back great memories of your father . . .

My dad is still with us . . . and I have a heck of a time getting him out of my vette!! I keep telling him "get your own!!" But I don't think my mother is too keen on the idea . . .

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!

I've heard and agree with what many of you have said.
Someone told me a while back that if you had a chance to get a vette, that you better do it before you have kids. And if you don't,
and then have kiddies...you'll regret not making that purchase.

Oh..if I'd only planted that money tree when I was young. :D

Suzanne,
What a great CE! I purchased my convertible under similar circumstances. Fortunately for me, it wasn't any immediate family members that had passed but several close friends in the last 6 months. One was in her mid 30's. Every single one of them was totally unexpected. When I told my wife that I had planned on going out and spending over $40K on a car she thought that my screw had finally come loose until I explained the situation and that we might not be here tomorrow. I searched and searched to find the rule that says you must wait until your kids are grown and when you are near retirement to buy the vette but couldn't find it. That's why my license plate reads "WHYWAIT". My wife agreed with me and now we are looking for our second vette. I'd love to get a CE!
Scott
PS. Those pictures look like Elizabeth Park or Ecorse. I will look for you on Fort St.

First Vette

I set out last year to replace the Red 64 Coupe I had in my youth.

I ended up with a 70 Dark Green/Saddle roadster. Would have never imagined this car included in my search, but turns out to be just as or more exciting to own and drive than my first one. My point? Doesn't really matter what color or year, the Corvette thrill exists in them all. Blue is nice.

Good Luck,

Andy

First Vette

I have always wanted a Corvette ever since I laid eyes on one.
As a boy of 9 or 10, whenever riding in the car with Dad, everytime I'd spot one, get this: I'D WAVE.
I guess it's instinct.

25 years passed, Marriage, kids, mortgage etc.....

Finally, after two years of looking, I fulfilled my dream seven years ago.

My only rule was, look and drive many, and buy the best deal.

:upthumbs

My 69 found me as the prior owner was in desperate need of help to do something/anything with it to keep it from vanishing away before her very eyes as it sat rotting in the back yard.

It seems like I tend to come along when others would have simply passed by. To me, I saw a small beam of light left in this car, and felt it my duty to bring that life back and better than ever.

Corvettes are fun, and often become a "lifestyle" over a period of time. Pretty soon your friends and neighbors just refer to you as the guy with the old shinny vette down the street, etc. It is cool.

Have fun with that one. It is a beauty!

I see a major difference in the way mine looked from the way that one you have eyeballed looks.....

Beforeleftfront.jpg

TheLabattMan said:
Suzanne,
What a great CE! I purchased my convertible under similar circumstances. Fortunately for me, it wasn't any immediate family members that had passed but several close friends in the last 6 months. One was in her mid 30's. Every single one of them was totally unexpected. When I told my wife that I had planned on going out and spending over $40K on a car she thought that my screw had finally come loose until I explained the situation and that we might not be here tomorrow. I searched and searched to find the rule that says you must wait until your kids are grown and when you are near retirement to buy the vette but couldn't find it. That's why my license plate reads "WHYWAIT". My wife agreed with me and now we are looking for our second vette. I'd love to get a CE!
Scott
PS. Those pictures look like Elizabeth Park or Ecorse. I will look for you on Fort St.

Hey LatattMan....I'm so sorry to hear about the unfortunate and untimely passing of your close friends. Sometimes God calls us home early....

And you are both observent and correct about the photo....that was out at Elizabeth Park in Trenton....I have a new digital camera that I like to tinker with on occaision and I love snapping shots of the CE. I want to take it over to Windsor and get the Ren Cen in the background.

If you want, there is also a classic car "rendevous point" downriver. It meets every Friday night in the parking lot and it is getting bigger and bigger each week. It is at Sears shopping center in Lincoln Park and me and another member from the Corvette Club of Michigan meet there to check out the other cars. Please let me know if you and your wife would like to meet up there. There is a TON of cars to see!

If you would like to know how I obtained my CE just email me privately and I can help you find another one (I apologize to the list if this post is taking on a personal twist) I found my CE on the internet of all places, and a VERY NICE honest man in Milwaukee sold me this car.

I'll look for you on Fort St...."save the wave!"

PS: This is a picture at the Corvette Encounter show at LSC in Dearborn. I got 148 out of 150 points possible. This was my first car show with the CE.
Side.jpg

originally posted by 69MyWay
To me, I saw a small beam of light left in this car, and felt it my duty to bring that life back and better than ever.

I hate you had to see a vette in that condition 69MW...but I'm glad you made the decision to fix'er up.
How about an "after" shot?!?

I remember when my parents were looking at a 1957 Chevy Station Wagon and in the showroom was this car that different than why we were there. I didn't know what it was but when I was a teen and wanting to drive I remembered the little white car, I wanted one.

Friends, parties, and all those other things everybody has spoken of got in the way. After 35 years I finally fulfilled my want, do I have regrets, many, the years I lost of driving enjoyment, and in the last year I have met so many wonderful people with the same common interest. Last weekend I was stopped at a red light and a 12-13 boy shouted to me 'I want a car just like yours'. I can only hope that he is a lot younger when he fullfills his dream.

Life is a daily adjustment and buying a vette is another part of adjustment, DO IT you never know what tomorrow brings. Enjoy it today and create memories for yourself. I've never seen a U-Haul behind a hearst or one towing a car.

DO IT and have a ball :J

Chuck

I remember the enjoyment my mother got in the early 60's when she saw a corvette making high revving engine sounds about every time she saw when (more of a two stroke sound than a vette). She was the wife of a career enlisted man with 4 kids and the car was nothing but a dream. She passed 8 years ago at the early age of 59 and I think of her often when I drive mine and am glad for the memories.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom