Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flat tire at 80+ mph!

XLR8 said:
I was driving on I10 yesterday on the way to an appointment when I heard and felt the driver's side rear tire go flat. I was driving a little over 80 mph and it nearly scared me to death!

I've worried about what it would be like to get a flat and drive on the runflats, but I must say it was very reassuring in that the car handled well and the tire performed as advertised.

Shaken but safe.
Jane Ann

Jane Ann, I believe you are one of the most un-flappable members we have here. And I still owe you a cup of coffee.
:)

Glad to hear what could have been an ordeal was reduced to little more than an inconvenience.

:w
-Patrick

Patrick said:
Jane Ann, I believe you are one of the most un-flappable members we have here. And I still owe you a cup of coffee.
:)

Glad to hear what could have been an ordeal was reduced to little more than an inconvenience.

-Patrick

5.gif
Thanks Patrick. You just haven't seen me in a full blown panic. :L

I'm looking forward to seeing you at CF and sharing a good cup of coffee!

:w Jane Ann

XLR8 said:
5.gif
Thanks Patrick. You just haven't seen me in a full blown panic. :L ...:w Jane Ann

I'd pay admission to see that. ;LOL

See you soon Jane Ann!

Guy

Guy said:
I'd pay admission to see that. ;LOL

See you soon Jane Ann!

Guy

It doesn't happen often and when it does it ain't pretty. :D

Looking forward to seeing you again too, Guy!

We hit something on the road outside of Topeka coming back from Vettes on the Rockies last year. Right rear, made it to Lawrence, called 1-800-runflat, and got the nearest Goodyear store that could fix the tire - in Topeka! Stayed the night in Lawrence (our plan anyway) and took a beautiful early morning 55mph ride on 2 lanes back into Topeka. The tire was dismounted, the hole in the tread fixed, remounted - with no scratches on the 50th Anniversary painted rim - and we were back to 80 mph a half hour later. They saved the tire.

In fact, we'll be running the the NCM C5 Bash tomorrow - on a tire that's been great to drive on!

Other runflats need a replacement automatically - or so I've read. And they don't all have dealers in the center part of our great land.

Jane Ann

‘ glad that the run flat worked for you.:upthumbs

I have had blow outs that were barely noticeable and others that gave me a rollercoaster ride. The worst one happened in your neck of the woods on old hwy 49. The Rt. front tire blew on a 75 Olds Tornado at no more than 75 MPH. I cleaned out the ditch and trimmed some of the road side hedges before the pig came to a stop.

SPANISHVETTS said:
Jane Ann

‘ glad that the run flat worked for you.:upthumbs

I have had blow outs that were barely noticeable and others that gave me a rollercoaster ride. The worst one happened in your neck of the woods on old hwy 49. The Rt. front tire blew on a 75 Olds Tornado at no more than 75 MPH. I cleaned out the ditch and trimmed some of the road side hedges before the pig came to a stop.

Spanish

I've driven old 49 many, many times. In fact I used to live on old 49 years ago. I'm glad you made it through the ordeal! Life would be so dull without you! :L

Today was a perfect example of Murphy's law.

After putting my runflats to rest and changing to a new set of Kuhmo non-runflats.
After not having a flat tire for almost 30 years.
After spending 3 hours at the tire shop having them mounted and balanced.

Yep, 5 days old and I get a flat tire!:cry
Drywall screw right through the tread too close to the sidewall to patch. Those pressure sensors kicked on 4 houses down the street this morning.
"FLAT RIGHT REAR TIRE"
Thanks for small favors. At least it happened at home.:ugh
Unfortunately, my tools were in the trunk of my boss's car.:hb Two towns away!

wishuwerehere82 said:
Today was a perfect example of Murphy's law.

After putting my runflats to rest and changing to a new set of Kuhmo non-runflats.
After not having a flat tire for almost 30 years.
After spending 3 hours at the tire shop having them mounted and balanced.

Yep, 5 days old and I get a flat tire!:cry
Drywall screw right through the tread too close to the sidewall to patch. Those pressure sensors kicked on 4 houses down the street this morning.
"FLAT RIGHT REAR TIRE"
Thanks for small favors. At least it happened at home.:ugh
Unfortunately, my tools were in the trunk of my boss's car.:hb Two towns away!

Sorry to hear that Pete... bummer it couldn't be patched or plugged.

I'm glad you're alright though.

After Hurricane Katrina, you couldn't hardly get in a tire shop around here for 6 months! I thought I was going to have to make myself a standing appointment every Saturday morning.

XLR8 said:
Sorry to hear that Pete... bummer it couldn't be patched or plugged.

I'm glad you're alright though.

After Hurricane Katrina, you couldn't hardly get in a tire shop around here for 6 months! I thought I was going to have to make myself a standing appointment every Saturday morning.

Thanks JAG,

They called today and said it was fixed, so they must have plugged it. I will pick it up in the morning and see how it went. Keeping my fingers crossed.:w

Let's hear it for the run flats; they may be noisy, ride a little rough but with no spare tire/lug wrench/or jack I like the added insurance of at the very least getting off the highway and someplace to get it taken care of. I do know of someone that run on one for over 300 miles; of course the tire was ruined :crazy and riding a little rough and not too smart I might add but he said he was going to get new tires anyway so he didn't care too much. Needless to say it put run flats back on he was definently a believer. Run flats are another one of lifes little trade offs as I see it. . . . .

"Don't Forget The Wave"

Bill :w

About 2 years ago coming back from Vegas, I had a massive blowout (picked the back of the car up a few inches when it happened) outside of Wickenberg. Left a 2" hole in the tire - I assume it was some sort of FOD. I managed to drive the thing home @55mph for 100 miles. I knew the tire would be trashed since it had a 2" gaping hole in it (yeah - try to patch THAT one!), but it made a believer out of me. I do find my Michelin PiotSport ZPs to be a lot more comfortable, quiet and better handling than the stock GYs.

Run flats

First, glad to here you were ok and no accident occurred.

As much as I travel from Houston, via I-10, I-12, and back on I-10 to visit family on the Mississippi coast, I would never attempt to drive that route without my run flats. I never had any problems with them and I do not have experience any problems as I have read in this thread.

I had a "blow out" on the front at about 80 MPH last summer. One of those ratcheting cargo straps came out from under a flatbed semi I was going around in the interstate and proceeded on a path of destruction down the right underside of my car. Tore a huge gaping hole in the inner sidewall of the RF tire and just destroyed the rim. Instantly flat. It's always scared the hell out of me...having a blow out in the '84. I was nothing short of amazed at how easy that thing was to control with a flat RF at 80 MPH...it even took a couple seconds to realize it was flat.

FWIW the tires are Yokohama Avid V4S. I LOVE 'em!

Bill

:eek!!! Glad to hear you and your Vette are good to go! 80+, huh?... Okay. We'll go with that. Yeah, uh..., 80+ ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom