Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

flowmaster force 11

D

dramo1

how is the the flowmaster force 11 cat-back system..ive read here that the borla is super loud..is the flowmaster mellower on the highway and around town

Some find it obnoxiously loud but I love it. The sound is very distinct and your neighbors will know when you come and go. :D It is super loud and there is resonance but I personally love it.

Edmond said:
Some find it obnoxiously loud but I love it. The sound is very distinct and your neighbors will know when you come and go. :D It is super loud and there is resonance but I personally love it.

are there any that are quieter but still give power and healthy sound

dramo1 said:
are there any that are quieter but still give power and healthy sound

If you do a search on exhaust or mufflers, you will find tons of info and opinion. There was a recent thread not more than a week or two ago and there have been several threads on this very topic over the past few years. It has been covered so thoroughly, you may not get many replies because so much would be repitition.
Terry

With that being said, look for the thread about Corsa. It should still be on the first C4 Technical and Performance page. I think Corsa is known for their low resonance.

Dramo,

I had a stock muffler fall off because of rust and went to a good Corvette shop for advise.
He installed a set of Walkers which are a little louder than stock but sound very mellow.
It wasn't until I checked them out at home that I realized that only one of the two pipes was live, the other one is a dummy. Now I don't like the idea and think maybe I am too.

JH

Jeff Henning said:
It wasn't until I checked them out at home that I realized that only one of the two pipes was live, the other one is a dummy. Now I don't like the idea and think maybe I am too.

JH

That's how the stock exhaust was, it only flowed out of one outlet on each muffler.

Edmond said:
That's how the stock exhaust was, it only flowed out of one outlet on each muffler.

Yes, Edmond is correct. Unless you specify otherwise, most shops would replace like for like.

Jeff,

I wouldn't call yourself a dummy because you basically put the stock exhaust back on. I hope it was what you wanted and that if it wasn't, it didn't cost you too much.

But if you want a loud rumble, the Flowmaster Force II is the way to go. :D

I put a set of the Flowmaster on last year and I like them! This year I replaced the front Y pipe less the pre cats and it made them louder but not obnoxious. In fact it enhanced the sound. There is a bit of resonce but a highway speeds not bad. The wife and I went from Western NY to MidAmericas Funfest and it wasn't bad. Then again if you want quiet by a Buick!

I put the flowmaster force II on my 95, and love it . No interior resonance, and not too loud until you get on it. I would buy it again.

What about performance? All that is covered here is noise and resonance. Has anyone noticed an improvement in performance after installing the Flowmasters? Also, what size and shape are the exhaust tips? And where were they purchased? Summit, TPis, or who?

Any opinions on the 2 Y-pipes as opposed to the true duals that Random Tech makes? They are 3" all the way back until after the 3"cats, where they size down to 2&1/2", then into the muffler of your choice. Seems to me they would flow better than a 3" y-pipe, single cat, then another 3" y-pipe sized down to the Flowmasters. Also, TPiS uses a 3&1/2" y-pipe, and supposedly Flowmasters made to their specs, whatever that means. The originals are Delta 50's, which IMHO are too big and restrictive. I think TPiS uses a Delta 30 series. Anyone know any of these answers? TIA.

Rich K

NT Vettman said:
I put a set of the Flowmaster on last year and I like them! This year I replaced the front Y pipe less the pre cats and it made them louder but not obnoxious. In fact it enhanced the sound. There is a bit of resonce but a highway speeds not bad. The wife and I went from Western NY to MidAmericas Funfest and it wasn't bad. Then again if you want quiet by a Buick!
This is what I had on my '87. Flowmaster mufflers, then eventually a front Y with no pre-cats. It was from Mid-America and may have been larger in diameter too.

The car sounded awesome, but to me the cruising note was too much. It was irritating on long trips. With just Flowmasters it was better. The front Y seemed to punch up the power a bit, though. I really only got it because the substrate broke off in a pre-cat and I didn't want to shell out for a new Y with cats (big $$$).

thirdtimevetteowner said:
Also, what size and shape are the exhaust tips?
On the L98 ones, they are round tips, two per side. They are a little larger than the stock ones, 2.5" in size. The LT5 system and I believe the LT1 ones have the double-D tips.

They both use mufflers like this:
_50_series.jpg

thirdtimevetteowner said:
What about performance? All that is covered here is noise and resonance. Has anyone noticed an improvement in performance after installing the Flowmasters? Also, what size and shape are the exhaust tips? And where were they purchased? Summit, TPis, or who?

Any opinions on the 2 Y-pipes as opposed to the true duals that Random Tech makes? They are 3" all the way back until after the 3"cats, where they size down to 2&1/2", then into the muffler of your choice. Seems to me they would flow better than a 3" y-pipe, single cat, then another 3" y-pipe sized down to the Flowmasters. Also, TPiS uses a 3&1/2" y-pipe, and supposedly Flowmasters made to their specs, whatever that means. The originals are Delta 50's, which IMHO are too big and restrictive. I think TPiS uses a Delta 30 series. Anyone know any of these answers? TIA.

Rich K

On a stock or nearly stock motor, the aftermarket systems make roughly the same power more over the stock mufflers. I've read somewhere in the figure of 10 HP or so. The stock system is extremely restrictive on L98's.

The TPIS system is basically a bigger and better looking Flowmaster system. It is a very nice looking system but I don't know if it's worth what they're asking.

True duals would be awesome. I would imagine that instead of going into one pipe to the cat and then split into two, just having one pipe for each bank would be great for flow.

The reason why no one said anything about performance is because that's not the question the original poster had asked.:L:L:L

Thanks, Edmond, for clearing that up for me. BTW, Random Technology makes a true dual it for our L98's. It has high flow cats, and an x-pipe, then 2&1/2" pipes back to the muffler of your choice. They have them mocked up for TPiS, Hooker and Melrose headers only, to date, but more to come in the future, so they say. I am undecided on which header brand to buy. I love Hookers, but their coating is not up to snuff. The TPiS ones look great, but cost more. Then the Melrose are more yet, because they're stainless (I think). Then there is the question of dumping the air pump, EGR and whatever else can come off w/out having to re-program my computer (my weak spot, for sure). I think the Thermomaster chip may work well w/any of the above headers and the true duals.

Rich K

Rich,

The TPIS headers seem to get the biggest props here. I think that's the way I'm going to go myself. The talk about performance gains and ease of installation have me convinced.

I have the stock mufflers on mine. I took a long chisel and knocked the plugs out of the dummys. If you stay in the position of say 12 to 10 o'clockthe piece will stay attached to the muffler and you just bend it in out of the way. The car gets louder but you do get intereior resonance. It sounds great when you get on it. It's not the right way of doing it but if you plan on changing out the mufflers in the end it's a cheep way of making noise.

Mufflers

TriTown said:
I have the stock mufflers on mine. I took a long chisel and knocked the plugs out of the dummys. If you stay in the position of say 12 to 10 o'clockthe piece will stay attached to the muffler and you just bend it in out of the way. The car gets louder but you do get intereior resonance. It sounds great when you get on it. It's not the right way of doing it but if you plan on changing out the mufflers in the end it's a cheep way of making noise.

Did you hit the plugs into the muffler throu the fake pipe? I guess you´re meaning from the rear of the car?

Tobias, SWEDEN

Yes, I punched them into the muffler through the dummy pipe. Just do it so the plug stays attached and just bend it into the muffler.

I have a 96 Corvette Coupe LT4 and I am looking for headers and a 2 3/4 (stock size)inch pipe diameter catback system for the LT4 I have been to a lot of sites and all I see is LT1 (smaller exhaust ports for the headers) and 21/2 inch or B&B's 3 inch for the 96 LT4 does anyone know who makes a complete exhaust system for the LT4?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom