Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flowmaster

D

DaleB

Well, an older than dirt fella like me had to go out and get some "Flowmasters" (40 series) for the 94. They are LOUD.

Sounds good at idle and from 2000 on up but between 1000 to 2000, it just plain hurts the ear drum and is not pleasant at all.

The Flowmaster folks said a "balance tube" needed to be added. Local muffler shop says no place to put a balance or crossover.

Any suggestions? Maybe I need to go get some different mufflers and write off the $300 as bad behavior.:D

If I weren't so old, I'd plan more, but I want to enjoy this fun machine for a little while. :) I gotta go cause I was born (too many years ago) to be wild. :J

Cheers Ya'll

Dale

DaleB said:
The Flowmaster folks said a "balance tube" needed to be added. Local muffler shop says no place to put a balance or crossover.

:eyerole You gotta be kidding me Dale, look at any of the Corvette exhaust manufacturers and you'll find Y-pipes with the rear crossover. ;)

_ken :w

Thanks for the infor Ken

I didn't even think of a rear site. The Flowmaster book says "***the "H" pipe should be installed as close as possible to the header collector. With manifolds , the "H" pipe should be placed just were the downpipes become horizontal."

At my age, by the time I get under the green machine, it's time to get back up and go to bed. Maybe that's why I need the early morning to rise and shine and go for my morning drive.

Thanks Again

Dale

:Roll

It's possible to make a crossover I suppose, that is physically closer to the collectors, or as the case may be, the front Y-pipe. But the resonance you are experiencing from the Flowmasters, is supposed to be reduced dramatically by using the rear Y-pipe with a crossover. ;)

Dale, I don't think you have a Y collector on your 94. There is room for a crossover (H or X). I was just at an exhaust shop last week, and they told me $100 to put in a 3" X in my '92 to replace the baffle box. I really don't have much room with 3" and frame stiffeners, but it can be done.

The Flowmaster 40-series is a lousy choice for a Corvette. Best for performance and noise is their 50-series Delta Flow units.

Even better would be the four-chamber 70-series but getting them to fit would be a real challenge

Hib got it right. Should be posted for anyone who plans on replacing their mufflers. I had a rear "balance" pipe put on this morning. Didn't make any change. Too bad. It still sounds good at idle and wild and not uncomfortable over 2000 rpm. It is just that easy push from 1000 to 2000 that drives me crazy.

Maybe I should think positive and just not let it fall below 2000. Might make for some interesting take-offs.

I do wish I had found this information sooner. Maybe an idea for another place on the Center for folks planning on buying aftermarket products.

Cheers

:D :s

Dale

DaleB said:
...just not let it fall below 2000. Might make for some interesting take-offs..
:L Yeah Dale, it just might! :L
DaleB said:
...I do wish I had found this information sooner. Maybe an idea for another place on the Center for folks planning on buying aftermarket products.
That's why you're supposed to post here first, to ask for advice. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom