Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flowmasters

vette333- I have the original manifolds. I bought an extra pair off ebay which I had the emission tubes removed and welded shut. I'm going to send them out to have them jet-coated. After much thought,I didn't want to deal with the low clearance and heat issues with headers. Just my personal preference...

Dave:
I'm debating doing the same. I work at a welding fabrication shop and I might remove the smog pump recirc tubes and weld the holes shut if i have issues installing the full length headers.

Thanks,
Vette333

headers

Well, last week I purchased the Hedman full length headers and installed them on my 81 on Saturday.

I spent about 3-4 hours removing the stock manifolds, pipes, starter, oil dipstick and tube, spark plugs and sensors.

The Hedman headers installed nicely in about an hour with one exception; one of my transmission cooler lines was in contact with the header collector and I had to re-route the line by gently bending it up and over the lower portion of the header. I then installed the true dual 2-1/2" exhaust I purchased last winter (no cats) but I also had to run to the muffler shop to have two 16" - 18" pipes that line up where the cats used to be bent about an 1-1/2" to 2" inches off center thus allowing the rear exhaust pipes to properly line up. Once the alignment was correct I installed the rear pipes and mufflers/tailpipes (Dynomax turbos). The system fit perfectly and I was pysched to start her up. When I hopped into the driver's seat I thought I would shift the car through the gears (automatic) to make sure I did not have a clearence problem with the trans linkage and sure enough it was binding once I hit reverse. I had to break the connection at the header/exhaust pipe joint and cut the excess linkage arm off to provide the proper clearence.

Once i started the car and took it for a ride it was fantastic. The sound, the feel, the way people looked at the car when they heard it, it made it worth the effort. I highly recommend headers and true duals.

Dave L., I think you should throw away that modified set of original manifolds and install full length headers.

Regards,
Vette333

I'm glad you had such little trouble with your installation. How much clearance do you have between the collectors and the road? My car is a 4 speed which I understand may require some modifications to the Z bar. I'm going to hold fast right now. Once the kids are through college(5 years) and I've got money for an engine upgrade then maybe I'll go the full length route. Thanks for your update!

Dave:
I estimate an 1" - 1-1/2" loss in ground clearence. I've read that modifications may be necessary with the 4 speed.
I have 3 young children so I certainly understand that college takes priority over the toy.

Regards,
Vette333

nc emission policy for older rides

in nc anything older than 94 (I think) has to have the original emission stuff hooked up...no sniffer test. I live about 40 miles from Charlotte and the smog is getting really bad there, so enforcement it strong in the surrounding areas. So far, I put everything on , get my inspection sticker, then spend another 3 days taking it back off for the rest of the year...I don't drive the Vette but about 5k /yr anyway. good luck, jim

NC Emissions

like2drive said:
in nc anything older than 94 (I think) has to have the original emission stuff hooked up...no sniffer test.

I live in North Cacalaca as well, Forsyth County more specifically. What I have been able to find out is that anything older than 25 years has to be sniffed. Anything newer than '96 has to have the OBD test. That puts my '81 with true duals and no cats (can you say "wake the neighbors"?) right on the borderline for sniffing. My math says I am fine, but we'll see when I get her inspected in October. How easy is it to find out my Corvette's Birthday? If it is before the date of inspection, then it is over 25 years old. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/requirements.html

John "Not So" Smart

generally speaking, its not the specific birthdate of your car, its the model year.

that said, come oct. the '06's will be out making yours 25.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom