Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fluid changes

Craig-o

Corvette
2001 Navy Blue Convert, 6-Speed
I consider myself to be a competent shade tree mechanic, but there are some things I've never done - like chaning transmission and differential fluid - there's just never been a need! But I find myself with 65k miles on the clock, including a few open track days, and I have convinced myself to replace the 6-speed tranny fluid and differential fluid with redline before my next day at the track (coming up in 4 weeks).

So, the car's raised an on jack stands. I drained the oil and changed the filter, now I'm ready to move to the transmission and differential. I've located the drain and fill plugs, but before I drain either, I notice something; there's no way I'm going to be able to tip a bottle and fill these things - there's just no room.

So here's the question: what tool do I need (some kind of pump?) to do this job?

Thanks for your help.

Craig

mmvette80 said:
A $4 pump from a auto parts store.
Looks like a grease gun with a hose, you suck the oil out of the can then pump it into the trans.

I thought there might be something more sophisticated than a turkey baster - thanks!

Craig-o said:
I thought there might be something more sophisticated than a turkey baster

;LOL

Sorry, Craig, sometimes the technology free answers rise to the surface first.

:L

-Patrick

Craig-o said:
I thought there might be something more sophisticated than a turkey baster - thanks!

try putting a long tube in and suck it out...:L ..whatever you do ...replace the trans and rear with new GM fluids...GM has good enough fluids for the trans and rear end...:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom