Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flying Buttresses?

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello everybody,

Who knows why Callaway went with the flying buttresses? Is there a solid idea behind it or is it a cool looking copy past idea taken from the Ferrari 599? :confused

Here the Ferrari 599..

ferrari-599-gtb-3big.jpg

And the C16

attachment.php

Groeten Peter.

It was an idea first developed on the B.A.T. Aerodynamic study Alfa Romeos in the 60's. The design is supposed to fix the problem where the air separates at the rear corners of the greenhouse. Air does not like to hang tight corners, so it would normally start to tumble here, causing a disturbed airflow. The buttresses are designed to squeeze the air back down to the rear glass, and help maintain a smooth laminar flow over the bodywork.

Peter Brock (a personal freind) also used this technology in his Daytona Cobras. He had plexiglass air deflectors on the A pillars of the first Coupe. He told me that the first body was hammered out in Italy, and when the Italians looked at the drawings, they thought he made a mistake. He had the high point of the roof over the drivers head, with a smooth transition from the front windshield to the roof. The Italian thought at the time was to have the windshield peak as the highest point, so they built it like a Ferrari. The first Daytona Coupe was actually incorrect, so he added these deflectors to keep the air attatched to the sides of the car, so it could enter the rear brake cooling ducts.

The same principal can be seen on airplane wings. When the leading edge slats come down, they actually separate from the wing, and help control the air to stay attatched to the top of it. Some fowler flaps also have a small vane that retracts aft just over the main flap for the same reason.

These things actually work.

I hope this helps.

Anthony Kalil

From a stylistic point of view, some of the most beautiful, and timeless designs in automotive history have employed the use of the flying buttress :cool

My favorite design :upthumbs
rear69.jpg

Timeless:

Jaguar-XJS-British-Racing-Green-4.jpg

Also, the new Supra has that design...

0702_z+2007_toyota_ft-hs-concept+5.jpg

1968 thru 1977 Corvettes
70chvy01.jpg

Thanks for the explanation Anthony :)

On the early cars I understood it was for the aerodynamics (airdistortions means drag) but the modern cars (like Ferarri and the Corvettes) have round rearglas so it looked more like a add-on to me.

Groeten Peter.

I have a good (possible) explanation. :)

They are on there so the rear glass doesn't immediately make people recognize the car as a Corvette. The C8 lacks these, and it is immediately identifiable for what it is made from.

The ironic thing about the buttresses is that the 68-77 Vettes, the Charger, the XJ-S, and all others that we have seen actually hurt the car aerodynamically. They are just there for style. The Callaway style, like the Ferrari, actually function.

If anybody remembers when Chrysler converted the Daytonas and Superbirds, they brought the glass out flush with the buttresses to kill all of the bad aero that they craeted.

Brangetta, you are correct in the fact that they help hide the fact that the C16 is derived from a Corvette. But Callaway could have affixed them to the glass, which would have had no Aero benefits. The design that they chose has Aero and cosmetic benfits.

Anthony

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom