Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flywheel balance.

frost

Corvette
1988 black/red Z51
Help with some info.

I have an 88 and I am replacing the 4+3 with a Tremec. I am replacing the clutch and flywheel. The flywheel is aluminum. The problem is I thought that the new flywheel had to be balanced to the old flywheel. I am being told by the speed shops that you can not balance one to the other because of the weight difference. They are telling me just to bolt it on. It doesn’t sound right to me. That would mean that the motor would be out of balance. Any body have a similar setup on the L98, and what did you do.

Thanks,

Bill

I have ALWAYS had my flywheels balanced and machined the faces prior to putting it in whether or not iwas new or old. I have never balanced the new one to the old but but always balanced the new one going in....good luck C4'r...:upthumbs

That's bunk.
I did exactly the same thing with my 95, when I replaced my stock dual-mass flywheel with an aluminum std. wheel from McLeod.

Find a good engine balance shop. Tell them you're rplacing the flywheel and you want the new one balanced the same as the old one.

Now...when we say "balance", in this case we're talking about balance from a fine tuning standpoint. I believe the wheel on an L98 is external balance and the aluminum wheel maker will make its alum. flywheel with the proper weighting.

What your balance shop will be doing is making sure the replacement wheel's balance (or imbalance in this case) is exactly the same as the stock one.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense you have to balance to old. I don't know why they are telling me no.

Bill.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom