Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

For '05 and '06 owners

W

wwr

Now that there are about 40,000 C6s out there could you owners resopond to this question? What problems little, big, and pi$%es you off have you had so far with your cars? These answers will help me to decide whether to hold or fold.

Thanks,
wwr

wwr said:
Now that there are about 40,000 C6s out there could you owners resopond to this question? What problems little, big, and pi$%es you off have you had so far with your cars? These answers will help me to decide whether to hold or fold.

Thanks,
wwr

Me Too:blue:

I bought my 05 a couple of months ago used and have put about 2k miles on it with no problems. I have not had mine long, and I have heard of problems that other owners have had, but mine has been trouble free. I have the automatic and have heard all of the stories of problems with discharged batteries in the manual cars. My local Vette mechanic swears that is because they were not left in reverse at shutdown and says there is no problem with that in the car. But he works for a dealer, so that has to be considered. I love the car and I am very glad I got it, but time will tell.

My Car is a Euro with Z51, It has all the options except dual roofs. It is manual 6 speed. I have had three C5's all Auto. The car was a demo model from a dealer in Germany. I drove it home in November before the weather came in with Snow, Frosts etc and the temp this morning was -5.5C so I have only driven the car for 700 miles. It took me quite a while to get used to Manual (also because my normal gearchange hand on a manual is my left hand!-auto is a lot easier to handle with my right).
Other than that issue, I have no faults, no rattles, no wind noise, the sat-nav operates great, I have no RDS interference, no oil usage. It has no brake squeek or any of the other faults I have read about on the forums. (On my previous three C5's , I had a door mirror which had a broken retaining spring in total) this is just as well as the nearest listed British dealer is 300+ miles away. I hope everything continues that way.:) :) :D

my 05 was built in sept 04 so it is a very eary one and have never had it back for anything. the techs at the C-5/C-6 bash when reprograming my radio with the latest software kill it so they installed a new radio on the spot. also my C-6 was held for quailty check for over 2 weeks and it had about 30 miles showing when it rolled off of the truck so i guess they fixed any probems before i got it. :D

I have had my '06 for about 6 weeks now. I haven't had any problems with it. I am happy with the auto 6 speed. Today I took it out and had a blast. I turned off the T/C put it in sport mode and used the paddles. Granted it waas in a empty parking lot. But, hey I got my kicks in for the day. Better to play safe.

I previously owned a C5. Picked up my 06 at BG in late September. So far 2700 miles and not a single problem. Its a real pleasure to look at and to drive. I usually wait one year after a new model is introduced and I firmly believe that in the second year of production many initial problems have been worked out.
Go for it.

wwr said:

Thanks,
wwr

I got mine October 20, drove to So. Cal and now has 2800 miles, love this car the A6 is SWWWWEEEEETTT

This is my 10th Vette, 1st c6

Had mine for 9 months and the only problem I've had id the fuel sending card. They have taken care of that on the new ones. I love this car. This my 6th Vette and they just keep getting better. You won't regret it.

Picked up my 05 in late Sept and now have 14000 miles with 8000 coming during a trip from PA to New Mexico and back. Have had only one problem--the daytime driving light went out and bulb was replaced. Car performed flawlessly in a variety of driving conditions. I love it!

This is my 4th Vette and is the best by far.

biggest problem

just hit 4000 miles. about 3 weeks ago as i was driving home the chime started going off and the dic said to service active handling,and then it said to service traction control. brought it in said a whole bunch of codes came up that usually only happens when the battery goes dead which mine didn't. they reset everything and all is ok. 2 weeks later just before thanksgiving,the active handling light comes on the dash,the security system light comes on the dash and the service active handling message comes on again but keeps on blinking on and off.bring it in again and 2 days later hey discover the onstar module was bad and was shorting out the other modules. got the new module delivered and installed in 2 days so far everythings benn fine

I've had my 05 convertible with auto trans for about 2 months. I love it. The only complaint so far is that the exhaust is too tame. I fixed that by replacing it with a set of BB Bullets. Now it sounds as powerful as it is!

The question was basically 'what bugs ya?', but I would be remiss not to start with the following info:

FACTS:

* I have had my Machine Silver/Ebony 2006 Base car for one month now.

* Purchase price was reasonable at 42K.

* Mileage = ~1,600 with one 600 mile road trip, rest mixed highway/city.

* MPG = 22 aggregate

* Used as my daily driver

OBSERVATIONS:

* Holy smokes, Bullwinkle, this thing is fast! I have had some hot rods before, but this thing books.

* Gas mileage is a gigglefest. At 75-80 MPH, instant mileage is 29-32.

* Handling is on a par (maybe even surpasses) my '98 Boxster.

* Brakes every bit as good as any car I've driven.

* A/C? Set it once to my desired temp, and haven't ever considered it again. (Great regulation, very unobtrusive, LOW to NO fan noise)

* Stereo is not great, but it does play MP3s, easy to work, and unlike Porsche, AM band even works to get sports and news.

* Unlike Porsche, speedo is right on the money. I fought my local dealer and PCNA about the disgustingly inaccurate speedo on my Boxster, and NEVER got satisfaction, on what should have been a minor tweak. Might have even been driving a 996 now, but....

* This thing loves to run at speed. It is very easy to get going faster than you intend, even when driving 'mildly' and mellow. It just gobbles up pavement, and the smoothness quietness is deceptive.

* Seats are excellent, steering wheel great position, plenty of leg room and head room, seat belt has just enough length to fit (6'2", NFL retired linebacker build)

* Interior is well laid out, and even though I believe the materials are reasonable quailty, they do look just a little cheesy. Not so much that it bugs me (especially after the matte BLAH finish of my Porsche), but they could have done a bit better.

* I am not one of those who likes electro-conveniences (i.e.fob still makes me a little queasy), but I must admit I like leaving the lights in "ON" position, and letting the car figure out when to turn 'em out (when I leave). Between that and the auto A/C, and the keyless entry + start, all I have left to remember on my own these days is to jump in and grin.

NITS:

* Tranny does keep from selecting first maybe once every 200 shifts while at a complete stop (never while on a roll). Maybe it's wishful thinking, but seems to be dropping off in frequency now, and the latest couple of times that it has felt slightly balky, I have been able to just use a little more 'command authority' to get it to snick into first.

* My usual local driving station (NPR) has a very bizarre attribute, that appears only in this 'vette, and not in any other cars I own or drive -- it sounds EXACTLY like a mechanical rattle. At first, I thought I had something loose in rear cargo area, but using my highly scientific patented "Kenner Close-n-Play" troubleshooting technique: (turn off radio-- it stops, turn it on -- it's there, turn it off - it's gone, turn it on --it's there...), I was able to ascertain it is in the radio, and stranger still, ONLY that one station that does it -- even rap and rock stations don't do it. Weird.

* Boy, this motor runs hot. Maybe 210F for coolant, 230F for oil, no matter what -- idle, under load, A/C on, A/C off, brand new, 1600 miles. Good thing is that it is consistent, and does not climb under stress. But I am not crazy about the 'normal' temp.

* My inside hatch release button sometimes decides I really don't need to pop it, unless I get a little froggy with it and push repeatedly & hard. I know I have the fob, but still...

* When I close the hatch, the auto latch motor is hit and miss. Sometimes it goes all the way down and doesn't even apparently need the motor, other times the motor does work, still other times motor doesn't turn and it looks like the hatch is stuck up a bit... it's a crap shoot. The handle I'm supposed to pull down with feels like it isn't going to last a week -- very flimsy.

* Ashtray is an oddity. Not good for... well, anything. Not that I need it, but seems we could have used that space for useful ministorage, change, whatever. It is just wasteful of pretty prime space.

* The rear fascia does collect dirt disportionate to rest of car, and any other car I drive. Rejex works well, but it is not a cure.

PROBLEMS NOT SEEN:

* No DBS

* Hasn't used a drop of oil

* No top delaminate/rattle

* No brake dust

* Not one problem that would be at all worthy of mention outside of an enthusiast group where such things are ground over in minute detail (and which I love).

* I do not feel there is excessive heat in console, floorboard, or any other area of interior. Have not been stuck in traffic for hours in 100 degrees, but I have run for multiple hours at high double digits, and also been in traffic at 85 degrees...

well, that's about it for now... the 'nits' I mention are really just that -- so far this car has exceeded my expectations, and I am very glad I bought it.

Had my MR Z51 mn6 Vert for 11 months and 12k miles, only problem was squealing brakes, pads were replaced by dealer, no charge life is good :D

I agree with Self1 and won't repeat he said.

I traded my '02 Z06 for this C6 Z51. I have only had minor problems and one BIG nit.

Problems ... right front wheel bearing was bad and the air bag required replacement. All is otherwise well after 8000 miles.

NIT ... The clutch is impossible in normal day driving. It engages and disengages very suddenly in mid stroke. A smooth start requires hunting very slowly for the engagement point. Try That in traffic. Not fun. I suspose an alternative would be to just drop the hammer. The dealer says this is "normal". Funny I didn't have this problem on my last two C5's.

Wish I had waited for the A6.

Other than that, I love this car. I'ts like my Z06 with all the rough edges gone. I have a fair amout of track time in the Z06 (TMS road course). As near as I can tell without getting back on the track, this car is almost as fast and the handling is almost as good. Both have Way more performance than a sane person would use on public roads.

The big difference is that I can take a 1000 mile trip in the C6 with 350 mi non-stop legs and arrive rested. I had to stop every 2 hours on long road trips in the Z06 because it beat me up.

(PS: I'm aware of the TSB on the sticking clutch during high RPM shifts. This is a different problem.)

Byron said:
The clutch is impossible in normal day driving. It engages and disengages very suddenly in mid stroke. A smooth start requires hunting very slowly for the engagement point. Try That in traffic. Not fun. I suspose an alternative would be to just drop the hammer. The dealer says this is "normal". Funny I didn't have this problem on my last two C5's.

Not normal at all, IMHO! My own clutch is silky smooth, progressive, predictable, and hooks very consistently at same spot of pedal movement.

The only thing that I could say negative about clutch is that it has much lighter feel than I would have expected on a performance car... but, is that *really* negative? <laugh>

If I were you, I would go to a different dealer in your area and don't say anything about what your original dealer claimed; just state that the car has the behavour you described and that it is clearly unacceptable.

self1 said:
Not normal at all, IMHO! My own clutch is silky smooth, progressive, predictable, and hooks very consistently at same spot of pedal movement.

The only thing that I could say negative about clutch is that it has much lighter feel than I would have expected on a performance car... but, is that *really* negative? <laugh>

If I were you, I would go to a different dealer in your area and don't say anything about what your original dealer claimed; just state that the car has the behavour you described and that it is clearly unacceptable.

Thanks for the validation. I have a service request in with cac@chevolet.com. So far, there's been no response other than opening a service ticket.

Don't get me started about my dealer. My service rep almost ran over someone when the car jumped out from under him.

BTW, I removed my clutch return spring in a desperate effort to improve clutch feel. Its the double coil spring near the top of the clutch pedal. It feels world's better now, but it didn't fix the grabbing problem. If you feel your clutch feel is too light, this is a 5 minute easy fix. The over all effort feels about right for me, but my bride wouldn't like it very much.

Early experience with my new C6

wwr said:
What problems little, big, and pi$%es you off have you had so far with your [C6]?
wwr
I've only had my C6 for three weeks. I've been on one long ride with it, about 250 mi. round-trip. No porblems at this point...other than I hate to drive it in the rain and get it dirty! It's a fine a car in every respect: fast as lightning, easy shifting manual tranny, clear dash disaplys, intuitive controls, Japanese-like interior quality as well as fit and finish. And, for a Corvette, the seats are incredibly comfortable on a long trip...much better than some new non-sport passenger cars I've been in.

Gripes? I really dislike the forced 1 -> 4 gear change at low speeds. It has caused me to stumble with traffic behind me on a couple of occasions as I tried to find 4 from 1 (which is an unnatural-feeling shift) becasue there was not enough room in front of me to simply up the RPMs to get the light to go out. But, it ceratinly wouldn't affect my decision to buy!

I agree with another poster that the automatic trunk closure mechanism is also spotty. I have a hard time finding the right amount of "slam" to get the motor to grip on to the latch and pull it closed. But...big deal.

Even though I got the base model, there is a LOT of computer gadgetry in the thing. It's all very easy to use, mind you, but I wonder how well it will all hold up in the coming years.
  • The lights automatcally come on and turn off, both inside and out,
  • the "indexing" window system which automatically lowers the windows a fraction of an inch when you open the doors, and raises them again when you close them
  • the computerized gear lockout during the aforementioned 1 -> 4 range,
  • the automatic door locks,
  • automated climate control,
  • automatic volume control on the stereo that compensates for cabin noise,
  • electric-only door openers (no physical latch to pull), etc., etc.
I know most luxury cars are like this now, but even the Mercedes and BMWs of the world are having software promblems as all of this control becomes more and more complex. It's dreamy when it works, but I can only imagine what a nightmare it is when it doesn't. The first thing they show you at the dealer is how to get out of the car if you're trapped in one with a dead battery!

Hopefully, I'll be spared such technical headaches. Until then, I'll be driving with a wide smile on my face every day! It's a fantastic car.

G
DSC06565M_2.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom