Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

For '05 and '06 owners

Gary42 said:
I've only had my C6 for three weeks. I've been on one long ride with it, about 250 mi. round-trip. No porblems at this point...other than I hate to drive it in the rain and get it dirty! It's a fine a car in every respect: fast as lightning, easy shifting manual tranny, clear dash disaplys, intuitive controls, Japanese-like interior quality as well as fit and finish. And, for a Corvette, the seats are incredibly comfortable on a long trip...much better than some new non-sport passenger cars I've been in.

Gripes? I really dislike the forced 1 -> 4 gear change at low speeds. It has caused me to stumble with traffic behind me on a couple of occasions as I tried to find 4 from 1 (which is an unnatural-feeling shift) becasue there was not enough room in front of me to simply up the RPMs to get the light to go out. But, it ceratinly wouldn't affect my decision to buy!

I agree with another poster that the automatic trunk closure mechanism is also spotty. I have a hard time finding the right amount of "slam" to get the motor to grip on to the latch and pull it closed. But...big deal.

Even though I got the base model, there is a LOT of computer gadgetry in the thing. It's all very easy to use, mind you, but I wonder how well it will all hold up in the coming years.
  • The lights automatcally come on and turn off, both inside and out,
  • the "indexing" window system which automatically lowers the windows a fraction of an inch when you open the doors, and raises them again when you close them
  • the computerized gear lockout during the aforementioned 1 -> 4 range,
  • the automatic door locks,
  • automated climate control,
  • automatic volume control on the stereo that compensates for cabin noise,
  • electric-only door openers (no physical latch to pull), etc., etc.
I know most luxury cars are like this now, but even the Mercedes and BMWs of the world are having software promblems as all of this control becomes more and more complex. It's dreamy when it works, but I can only imagine what a nightmare it is when it doesn't. The first thing they show you at the dealer is how to get out of the car if you're trapped in one with a dead battery!

Hopefully, I'll be spared such technical headaches. Until then, I'll be driving with a wide smile on my face every day! It's a fantastic car.

G
DSC06565M_2.jpg

Gary, what are your feelings about that auto volume control on the radio? It drives me bonkers on my other cars so I keep it off.

Gary, that car is gorgeous! :cool

I had a 1987 Harley Low Rider that looked exactly like your car does in the picture you posted, but mine was painted burgundy (and plum), not red. Everytime I see that particular red on a C6 it looks different, based on the lighting. Pretty neat effect.

You really ought to get a CAGS eliminator for your 1 --> 4 shift pains! It takes all of thirty seconds to install once you jack the car up. Mine really annoyed me and caught me short at the worst times, just as you describe, until I bypassed it. It's the best time/money I spent on the car.

I now have over 3500 miles, have changed my initial oil on my own, and the only thing that has really changed since own my initial report here is that the car now goes into first gear nearly every time without a hassle. In fact, I can't recall the last time it didn't go into gear at a light. Hopefully most of those experiencing this will get relief without any intervention needed, once the MN6 breaks in a bit.

[danger: mini-rant ahead]
The issue with the truck latch is more a matter of me shaking my head and asking "How could they have botched this up so bad, when it is so obviously not an adequate design?" If it doesn't happen to latch, I press it closed. But the fact you don't ever know what it's going to do is just idiocy. When I do happen to have a door open or the window down, it clearly does not need the additional pull down anyway so it is superfluous in that mode, but when the car is all buttoned up, THEN the latch does not have the reach and or the power or the orientation to always do what some junior ME hoped it would do (perhaps as his first project in the 'real' world?). I just can't imagine how someone could claim they tested this 'solution' and filed paperwork that said it did the job adequately. All mechanical engineers that I know keep little samples of their work out on their desks, to toy with, or for people to ask about, so they have an opportunity to brag a bit. I'll bet that whoever designed this latch has the prototype shoved into a dark corner of a desk drawer. It sure better not show up as an item on any resume that I ever see!

[mini-rant over]

Other than that (and come on, how bad is that in the big scheme of things?!), I am a very happy owner, and smile every day I am behind the wheel.
:w

Greenie said:
Gary, what are your feelings about that auto volume control on the radio? It drives me bonkers on my other cars so I keep it off.
Well, on the whole, I've enjoyed that feature. The cockpit certainly can get loud when running along at a good speed, so I appreciate the automatic adjustment. Since it's been too cold, I haven't yet had the joy of riding with the top out. I'm curious to see how it handles that kind of noise change.

Anyone know how the feedback control works? Is it based on a detectable volume via some microphone pick-up, or is it simply keyed to engine RPMs?

Gary, re the 1 to 4 issue.

As someone allready pointed out, there is a "CAGS eliminator" that fixes this. I had one on my C5 Z06 and it was great. Its a 3 minute job to install.

What I find myself doing when the 1-4 kicks in is to put it into 3rd rather than let it go to 4th. This bypass only happens at low power settings and relatively low RPMs, so 3rd works well. Try it. It becomes natural after awhile.

My silver 6-speed coupe has been 100% perfect. I have 6500 Km. (approx. 4000 miles) on the odometer and have had no problems whatsoever.

I have found that the clutch is working more smoothly than at first, and I think that it is not just that I have gotten used to it. I purchased the CAGS eliminator, but have not installed it because I almost never see the 1-4 light come on. That might happen, however, in slower moving stop-and-go traffic which I rarely encounter in my rural area.

I love the "hatch vent latch" which I bought from Mid-America Motorworks. It keeps the hatch open an inch or so to prevent wind buffeting at highway speeds. I love driving with the top off as much as possible. The heater and heated seats keep me perfectly warm. If I have to have the top on, I use my clear one so I can still see the sky.

I love the amount of storage space in the hatch/trunk area. No problem in taking all the bags you want when going on a holiday or road trip.

I love the stereo system. Once I discovered the "Auto EQ" button and chose the correct setting, the speakers sounded even better.

I love the head-up-display, comfort and adjustability of the seats, visibility out of the windows, the beautiful flowing lines of the exterior .... I could go on and on.

I love the car so much, that my husband decided to trade our Mustang GT convertible in on a second C6 Corvette, which he will be getting this spring. His will also be a 6-speed coupe and he will be using it as his daily driver. Mine will be more of a garage queen, to be kept in excellent condition and taken out for special trips, since I am able to walk to work.

There is not a car in this world that I would rather have than my C6 Corvette. Sure a Ferrari engine sounds magnificent, and a McLaren looks gorgeous, but who could afford or even obtain one of those? I'd be too scared to even drive something that was that rare or expensive. The Corvette gives you a car right up there in performance, and in my view better in many other ways.

How many cars can you take shopping, go on a road trip with all the storage space you want, then head off to to the race track and show world class times (not that I'll ever be near a racetrack)? I for one say good for GM, Dave Hill and all the engineers, designers and workers that developed and produced such a fantastic car.

Carol

Well I have had these issues

38 months, 21,000 miles

Just had the passenger side window regulator replaced and now something has gone amiss with the gas door opener. I have $200.00 deductible on GMPP, would have costed about $400.00 without the $200.00 dedcutible.

It will open just fine, but when you go to close it the actuator will not pop out and catch the latch. I hav ebeen able to clos eit a few times by using the FOB, locking the car and then unlocking it, then closing the door.

I have compared the actuator pin which pops out to one on another C5, they look identical, there is no crud or dirt on mine. Have a replacement actuator ordered (just a few cents under $80.00) Then there will be the charge for the dealer installation.

Second C6, a 2006 with only 399 miles, still on the honeymoon! In regards to
battery run-down on 6-speed manuals. The '05 I had last year spent most
of the winter in the garage with the battery hooked up and the transmission
in reverse and there was never a problem, and I only started twice from
December to April! The 2006 is the best Vette I have owned yet!

I've owned mine since 04/05 ordered it, LeMans Blue, Gray Inter, coupe with the Auto....the only problem I have encounterd after about 9000 miles is the "Service active handeling" and that's been fixed, I got the Nav package and once they reprogrammed it so that it now plays MP3's and the background is black at night and white during the day.............MY CAR IS GREAT!!! I would highly recommend buying one........up to this point the best car I've ever owned and brother I've owned a lot of cars in 54 years!!! GOOD LUCK!! The only option I didn't get is the OnStar.....why spend $800 and about $17 a month on a cell phone, hell everyone on the planet has one......just didn't feel it was worth it!!! my 2cents on OnStar!!

That was a beautiful post from a satisfied customer. Good pub. for American iron and exciting for those of us waiting on our own C6. Thanks for taking the time to expound on your baby!

I have 23,000+ miles on my 2005 and the only problem I have had is the voice command on my GPS went out. They replaced the system about 3 1/2 months ago. Every thing is fine.
This C6 is one great automobile. My opinion.

I bought one of the 1st convertables - March 05.
12,000 miles now, only the gas guage fix..

The only problem I've had is keeping the Z06 under 55 for the first 500 miles!:)

Got the DSOM in Oct 04. Have 10,800 miles on it and no problems. My '98 and '00 were in for warranty work 5 and 3 times respectively. Best made Vette ever.

FastMover said:
Had my MR Z51 mn6 Vert for 11 months and 12k miles, only problem was squealing brakes, pads were replaced by dealer, no charge life is good :D

To: "Corvette Action Center" <corvetteactioncenter@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Reply to post 'For '05 and '06 owners'

OK,

Here's where the rubber meets the road. I haven't heard from Jerome. My initial inquiry was last December (and maybe earlier)

Anyone that has been following my saga knows that my clutch has challenges. It still isn't working right and it is still an accident waiting to happen. It is only a matter of time before I ram someone, or vice versa. I'm NOT joking about this. I doubt the damage would be serious, however. Slow speed accidents rarely are. They are typically just expensive.

I've been watching my clutch very carefully at what is going on. It grabs and chatters. To launch smoothly requires a lot of concentration. That means engaging the clutch and then pushing it back in and then letting it out again. Try that in traffic sometime. Not fun. And not easy to do 100% of the time.

I've had over 20 high performance stick shift sport cars, including a regular c5 and a c5 Zo6, and I've raced more than a few. Formula Fords, Formula V's, Formula B, Porsche 944. 2 DeTomaso Panteras, and the Z06 (waxed a GTS Viper and a Camden (sp?) prepared BMW M5.). I'm not a novice. I've never seen anything like this.

This is unacceptable in a $57,000 automobile. Yes, it has all the options. GPS, HU display, side air bags and all. The clutch needs to get fixed. ASAP. I know your server has been down, but I'm losing patience. I'm NOT going away. And no, I don't race this one. I got it because it was a good road car compared to the Z06. I have a farm 190 miles from where I live and this is a more comfortable ride down there.

If nothing else, my new bride is complaining about my bad driving. But then she can't drive it smoothly either and she was a cop for 10 years, so I don't feel so bad.

Byron said:
To: "Corvette Action Center" <corvetteactioncenter@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Reply to post 'For '05 and '06 owners'

This is unacceptable in a $57,000 automobile. Yes, it has all the options. GPS, HU display, side air bags and all. The clutch needs to get fixed. ASAP. I know your server has been down, but I'm losing patience. I'm NOT going away.

Byron,

I dont know what you want the Corvette Action Center to do for you. This is just a forum not affiliated with GM. You need to contact a dealership to fix your problems.

chick magnet

only problem i have with this car is WOMEN, these cars attract women like white on rice, if i go to the gas station, the store or anywhere else, i see women just constantly adoring this car and smiling at me as if they want to get with me as soon as possible. :D

Byron's clutch

soggytaco said:
Byron,

I dont know what you want the Corvette Action Center to do for you. This is just a forum not affiliated with GM. You need to contact a dealership to fix your problems.

Thanks for the head's up. I was mistaken.

I have been in touch with the Corvette customer care group. They are the one's that have not responded after the initial round.

Byron

Byron said:
Thanks for the head's up. I was mistaken.

I have been in touch with the Corvette customer care group. They are the one's that have not responded after the initial round.

Byron

Good luck I hope you gat your car fixed.

Byron said:
NIT ... The clutch is impossible in normal day driving. It engages and disengages very suddenly in mid stroke. A smooth start requires hunting very slowly for the engagement point. Try That in traffic. Not fun. I suspose an alternative would be to just drop the hammer. The dealer says this is "normal". Funny I didn't have this problem on my last two C5's.

I had the same gripe, but fixed it by replacing the stock C6 clutch "assist" spring with a C5 spring. It feels about the same as my FRC now!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom