Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Forgive me guys!!

S

sscam69

Well I have been doing a lot of thinking about putting some more power into my vette. After a lot of thinking and research I have decided to sell my vette.:SLAP

Why? I have wanted a 1st gen camaro since high school ,hence the name sscam69 (1969 Super Sport Camaro), and unfortunately I don't have the means to keep the vette and a camaro at the same time. Can only do one project at a time.
I really love the vette but what I really want is a Camaro. The vette actually fell into my lap. My dad bought it off my uncle and was sitting on the side of the house for 2 yrs. To many problems and wasn't running well. I put in most of the wrench time into it and my dad decided to give it to me.

I have the energy and will have the time after mid may (graduating from college) and the money will come slowly. I figured with all of this energy, time, and bit of money I would rather put it into what I want. The vette still needs interior work and a bit of body work and a paint job but the drivetrain is good.

I have the support of my girlfriend (she wants a camaro also:eyerole) and my dad.

What do you guys think?

Frank

After all it's only a car. Sell the vette and realize your dreams.
There was a z28 in my neighborhood when I was growing up that was gray metallic with black stripes. I still remember the guy waxing the wheel wheels and the engine compartment. Very cool car.
Good luck!

well at least you're staying in the bowtie family :D
You're young, so you can always buy/sell or add to your collection as you get older.
Good luck!!

Hi
Yes, sell this piece of plastic and get a real iron car.:r
Nothing is more satisfying than making a dream of one's youth become true.
That's what I did when I got my 68.
Always loved the styling and just wanted this big big big... block which is contradictonary to what most people over here drive.
Economical, fuel consumption, turbo power, multi valve and all this gimmic so called power makers, just are not my thing.
All beaten by just big CI.:upthumbs
Making a small car ( 1,6 Liter ) sound like a empty can by cutting mufflers out of the system is a lough against 427 CI ( 7,0 Liters ) growling through side exhausts.
Dreams have to be made true if just possible.
Keep in touch.
Gunther
my_vette_new_left_side_1.jpg

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do:cool
Go with what makes You happy. It's still a bowtie:_rock and a good one at that. You've got plenty of time for that next vette;)

Have you got a Camaro in mind? If not, good luck in the hunt.
Ever consider a 396 SS Chevelle:_rock :_rock WOOHOO

Go for it, Frank! If I was only concerned about Corvettes, I'd really be missing out on a lot that the automotive world has to offer. I appreciate most true sports cars and musclecars. The Camaro definitely falls into that category. The same wrenching techniques are going to apply and there's enough crossover in the general function of each car, that I'd be glad to give you advice anytime. Just watch out for the open ends of those hoods. They're mighty heavy and bumping you head against one hurts like hell. Believe me, I know. :cry

So, do you have a line on one yet? Any plans to turn it into a Penske Sunoco racer or Trans-Am equivilant? I like Vic Edelbrock's '69 Camaro, so you might find a bit of inspiration there, too. Remember that there's an "Other Car" forum here, so feel free to post any problems you have.

--Bullitt

Go for it!

SS Camaros are super cars! If you are getting discouraged with the vette, sell it and buy what will REALLY inspire you! You'll be a lot happier!
Silver

I given this advise in many posting's, color change , motor, or car doesn't matter.

Your the only one that you've got to please, I've had two 69 Camero's and loved'em both. The Z of course was my favorite by far, but there is something about that body style that makes any 69 a joy.

Looking forward to hearing about your new toy and seeing some picture's too.

Like the other's have already said you can alway's get another Vette.

Rick

No problema, your not a trader! :)
I have an 82 for fun, but what I really drive is a mustang GT, even though I prefer the vette. If you like the camaro better than the vette, than there's nothing you can but to get a camaro, different people different tastes.
2 seats vs 4 seats, IRS vs solid, fiberglass vs metal. It's you're choice, the camaro is better for drag racing and the vette is better for road courses. You only live once, so get the ost of it.:Twist
Paul

Yeah man! 69 Camero is the best thing in steel. I would love to have one but the Vette has always been my dream. Definitly the best year for Camero though and to me 81 is the sweetest shark, so just do it!! Acually anything that starts with Chevy is ok with me.

Thanks for the support guys thats why I love this place. I don't think that I will be leaving as this place is to much fun and addicting!

I will get a vette later. Like my dad said " you already have the experience and know the common problems, it will be easier the second time around"

I don't know which particular year to shoot for. I will be putting the same engine (383 stroker 450hp/450ftlbs) I have been planning out for the vette in the camaro and get it ready for some strip time. I won't buy it until i sell the vette and have the money in hand.

First thing american racing torque thrust II's and dropped spindles! Oh baby!

How much is my vette worth. 79 L-82 manual 4 spd. engine rebuild, new spring, new shocks etc.

Frank

Enjoy it! I'm just a little biased, though - also have a 32K-mile original/unrestored '69 Z/28 - I drive it as much as my '57 Vette :)

Go for it!

You should do what ever is the most fun for YOU.
You only live once (I think) and you don't know when it will end.
Next to Corvettes, Camaros are the coolest. I'm a loyalist and stick with GM products. Two Suburbans, Corvette, even my motorhome is a Chevy.
Good luck, Chris :cool

Well I have been looking at different websites for an estimated price for my vette and condition its in. My girlfriend has been helping me out and has found two. One appraised it at $17 and the other at $14k. This is obviously like new, and this thing came with all the options on it. power everything, defroster etc. I found one myself that appraised it at $10k in a restration shape.

I figure if I get the average price for a like new 79 L-82 with all options and knock off the money it would take to get a paint job, body work and new interior carpet and some misc. items it would be a fair price to ask. I also have most of the original parts from it like intake, differential ring&pinion, original air cleaner setup etc, carb and some literature.

What do you think its roughly worth?

Oh I have planned out the look for the camaro, have had it in mind for a while. The suspension drop, thrust rims, hideaway lights with black flat grill, midnight black paint with black interior, front lower spoiler, cowl hood, and rear spoiler. Getting excited just thinking about it!

Frank

Frank, I still miss my Camaro, which also happened to be my first car.

Here it was at the Camaro Street Nationals in Warren Michigan 1986.
69CAMARO50.gif

Fun with the camera in my back yard 1988.

69CAMARO51.gif

Going to prom 1988

69CAMARO53.gif

High School year book picture

69CAMARO54.gif

Looks like you're getting a lot of support for the Camaro..I agree!
You're too young to stress over this as an "all or nothing".. I had
3 Corvettes ('67 Coupe, '71 roadster, '73 T-top...all at once) back
in '75...sold them all and ran thru a '67 GTO, '69 Z28, 70 LS6
Chevelle, among many, many others. In December I bought my
Christmas present/retirement present..a #'s matching red/red
'65 roadster and I'm back in Corvette heaven!
Get the Camaro and we'll see you back in a 'Vette later.
(but KEEP the Camaro!)
Lots of luck, Jim

Just do it!

Camaros are cool too - an old buddy of mine had (maybe still has?) a 70 1/2 Z28. He was a body shop guy so he did a custom paint job with what he called "Corvette blue" (which I think is actually Bridgehampton Blue), with 2 black racing stripes down the hood that faded from black to dark blue to the medium blue.

He rebuilt the 350 and put dual Holly quads on it, with a 3-speed - that baby rumbled like nothing I'd ever heard before or have heard since. It was definitely NOT a highway cruiser. I have pics of it, if I can find someplace to scan them in I'll post them.

Anyway, sorry for the memory dump. Frank, you should do what will make you happy. As you've heard many times already, you can always buy another Vette if you want in the future, but if you never buy the Camaro you want, some day you'll regret it.

Have fun!
Barb :w

Do what makes you happy! If you're leaving the Vette world, F-body is one of the best places to go. I've always lusted after a 69 Z-28 in my hometown - green w/ green interior and gold stipes with the RS front end. I don't know if the color combo was stock but it was and still is a beautiful car.

I hate to admit it but there is a little voice inside me that would tell me to trade the vette on a 70 4-4-2 convertible if the right one came along. Vette's have been and always will be my #1 car but it's a lot easier to find a vette than it is to find a lot of other cars.

I hope you'll still stop by and show us pictures of whatever you end up with.

Go for it! I've always loved the 1st gen Camaro and 3gen vettes about the same. Then 2gen Camaros are my 2nd love. Well I have my 2nd gen Camaro just working on the vette. But I'll try to keep all that I acquire. ;)

Actually the one I have now will be my 3rd but this one's a keeper!

Ls1smlblck said:
Actually the one I have now will be my 3rd but this one's a keeper!

I just looked at your Z-28 - very nice! Nowadays those are harder to find than first gen. :upthumbs

- Eric

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom