Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Found a deal on rims. Need Advice

87blackroxi

The ad reads: chevy 1998 corvette wheels. 5 spoke aluminum. 2 front 17"x8.5",
2 rear 18"x9.5". fits any corvette 1987 to 1999 $400.

Sound like a good price, considering I haven't seen the rims yet. But the "fits any corvette 1987 to 1999" I'm curious about. Obviously they bolt right up. But am I safe to say I'll need spacers?
The other thing. I'm sure the 17's fit good under the front, but are the 18's in the rear going to rub or cause any problems?

I really want to go check these out tomorrow first thing, but don't want to buy something that doesn't fit properly.

I really appreciate the info ladies and gents!

See them in person. If it's too far to see them in person.... fugettaboutit.

Good advice.

74bigblock said:
See them in person. If it's too far to see them in person.... fugettaboutit.

Well it's a given to see them in person before the sale :crazy , which they are only 15-20 miles away,
But I need advice on the rear tires being 18's if they will fit under my 87' without rubbing.

87blackroxi said:
Well it's a given to see them in person before the sale :crazy , which they are only 15-20 miles away,
But I need advice on the rear tires being 18's if they will fit under my 87' without rubbing.

Wouldn't they have a lower-profile tire to make up for the extra wheel height? If the overall size is the same, I'd think they work. However, it seems odd they'd fit 1987 and up as 1987 had the same wheel size as previous years.

Aurora40 said:
Wouldn't they have a lower-profile tire to make up for the extra wheel height? If the overall size is the same, I'd think they work. However, it seems odd they'd fit 1987 and up as 1987 had the same wheel size as previous years.

I'm sure they fit, but the spacing might be off. Exactly what I am trying to find out. Anyone?

I know that Rain put 18" "wagon wheels" off a C5 on the rears of his C4 w/ no problems. Check out his sig pic...

Speaking of rims.....I've been meaning to do this for a couple of weeks.

A friend of mine has a set (4) of OS Futura Modular rims 16 x 8.5 that he'll sell for a very, very fair price. They are in great shape with absolutely no road rash whatsoever plus they have Vette center disks already in them. They have some Goodyears mounted that he'll throw in but I don't think I'd want to put them on my car since they're pretty old and have been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years.

If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with him.

http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/1854

Jeb said:
Speaking of rims.....I've been meaning to do this for a couple of weeks.

A friend of mine has a set (4) of OS Futura Modular rims 16 x 8.5 that he'll sell for a very, very fair price.

If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with him.

http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/1854

I am looking for 17's or 18's right now. but thanks.
If he's looking to dump them cheap I might be interested. let me check this other guys rims.

I have 2002 rims in mine, click on the link and see if you would like your vette with these rims. If you don't expend the money on your Corvette...you'll expended on something else. You will not take any money to the grave, use it now:)

87blackroxi said:
The ad reads: chevy 1998 corvette wheels. 5 spoke aluminum. 2 front 17"x8.5",
2 rear 18"x9.5". fits any corvette 1987 to 1999 $400.

Sound like a good price, considering I haven't seen the rims yet. But the "fits any corvette 1987 to 1999" I'm curious about. Obviously they bolt right up. But am I safe to say I'll need spacers?
The other thing. I'm sure the 17's fit good under the front, but are the 18's in the rear going to rub or cause any problems?

I really want to go check these out tomorrow first thing, but don't want to buy something that doesn't fit properly.

I really appreciate the info ladies and gents!

I believe that all the 1998's came with the "wagon wheel" design. I do not think that they are particularly attractive myself. I had a '97 with those wheels. Mine were painted, and I think they all were. You should look at these to make sure that they will meet your tastes

Aurora40 said:
However, it seems odd they'd fit 1987 and up as 1987 had the same wheel size as previous years.

You are right. 1984 -1987 are all the same size wheels. 1988/1989 was the switch from 16" to 17". Maybe the seller has his years mixed up.

I'm going to check them out this weekend. As far as my tastes? I can't stand the sawblades i have on the car now so i am definatle looking to upgrade. The tell all will be when I see them tomorrow.
Thanks all

87blackroxi said:
I'm sure they fit, but the spacing might be off. Exactly what I am trying to find out. Anyone?

Oh, sorry, I thought they were wheels from a C5 but not necessarily stock wheels. So then, all you need to know is the backspacing and width of the C5 wheels to see how much they'll differ by. If they don't differ at all, you should be ok. If there's some difference you may have to get in your wheelwell and see what kind of room you've got. The knowledgebase here doesn't have C5 wheel info like they do for C4's.

What size tires would go on the wheels?

Not very sure. I guess there are all kinds of different profile syou can get. I'll probably go with Kumho Ecsta which I have now. A decent tire for the price.

Backspacing is different for the 87 compared to the 88 and up. I beleive you'll need the spacers to make them sit right. But other than that they should work out fine.

As far as tire size they make up for the wheel dimeter in the profile of the tire. Usually they are 35 series tires. the important thing will be to get tires that are very similar in diameter to what you have now.

You snooze you lose

I called the guy this afternoon and the wife answers with sorry they're sold.
So I suck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom