Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Found Abandonded Vette, How to find Owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monkeywrench

I know this is not a C3 question but I figured you guys could help out..

After driving past the delapidated 64 or 65 sticking out of the back of a barn several times, I decided to finally talk to the owner. Well the house has been vacated for at least 10 years. Cobwebs the size of ropes!! Anyway, does anyone have access to a way to find a car owner via the car liscense plate. I'm sure there is a way to do it but how?

Thanks,
Sean

You found it

That's my car, I wondered what I done with it:). Where is it so I can go get it???????:) But, seriously folks. If it has license plates you may try the local DMV. But, I would try to get a VIN off of it. They may have a better chance with it..........Keep us informed, this sounds like an interesting story..........I'm sure you will find that the car only has 3000 miles and that the "one" owner was killed in Viet Nam, or somthing like that...........Speaking of that, back in 1972 when I went into the Army........I don't remember any of the many people I knew, mentioning anything about their Corvette that they left in Pa's barn back home............Oh well, maybe I was in the wrong unit, (the poor unit)..............Steve

Originally posted by sdotson
After driving past the delapidated 64 or 65 sticking out of the back of a barn several times, I decided to finally talk to the owner. Well the house has been vacated for at least 10 years. Cobwebs the size of ropes!! Anyway, does anyone have access to a way to find a car owner via the car liscense plate. I'm sure there is a way to do it but how?

Thanks,
Sean

It's a crime I tell you! To lieave a Mid-Year rotting like that! You sure seem to have pretty good luck though Sean.

Please let us know what comes of this.

Jason

Sean,

Call me! If I'm not at home check you email for my pager #

Scott

Re: You found it

I'm sure you will find that the car only has 3000 miles and that the "one" owner was killed in Viet Nam, or somthing like that

LOL.. That's actually what the locals have told me. He bought it and was killed in Nam and the parent won't sell it. Man.. that rumor gets around!

Sean

Nam

Sad to say it always isn't a rumor, and that it did happen that way more often than we like to remember. :(

I think you would be better off finding out who ownes the house and from there the Vette.

Re: Nam

1987 Z51 said:
Sad to say it always isn't a rumor, and that it did happen that way more often than we like to remember. :(

You are correct. I did't mean to mar the memories of any of our fallen countrymen. I just thought the facts that the story was the same was humurous.

I have the home address and will be checking out the property tax info tomorrow.

Sean

Nam

Ken, I knew I would get some flake over my statement. Being a service man myself, and a very patiotic American, I certainayly did not intend to dishonor our fallen heros. I, too, was in, during the Viet Nam era from 72 to 81. My jab was directed more to the story then, the fact. Similar to the number of 1967, 427 tripower cars, and 63 fuelies. When these stories are true, they are truley heart wrenching, but when they are fabricated, they (Those who make the story up just to get a few dollars more) are the ones who make me sick. I believe very few stories I hear about Corvettes, If it ain't, somehow, documented, it didn't happen. That's where I was trying to go with my statement...........Sorry for any misunderstanding........it was not intentional...............Steve

I didn't take offense to anyone's statement, I just don't take it lightly. Sorry to cause any mis-understanding.

Ken

got it!

I've found the homeowner's name via the tax records. Now just have to track him/her down. Doesn't look good as the last reported vacancy date of the house was 10+ years ago. Sigh! I'll keep you guys informed.

Sean

Mucho good luck, Sean. I'm really hoping that you find the owner and are able to score the deal of the century. Something many of us would love to do. Please do keep us informed. :w

Ken

crossed-fingers

I'm hoping to post soon.....

Wanted to trade 1964-65? vette (in horrible shape) for a 69 (in not so horrible shape). Think that'll fly? :)

Sean

Sean,

No occupancy in 10+ years, I say we drive up with the trailer and exit stage left with that poor Corvette, that slime doesn't deserve to even look at one. ;)

If you need the trailer just call.

Me too

Scott,

You read my mind. Who would miss it? Lets all wear our CAC shirts when we do it. :L :L :L

Tom

PETC

Yeah.. we could claim we are members of P.E.T.C.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Corvettes... HA!

A bit more bad news. The owners's last name is about as common as Smith in this areas of the state. I started calling people with the same last name and one old timer told me "You can't kick a bush around here without finding someone with that name.." Great! But I will perservere:D

Scott, get that trailer hooked up ;)

Sean

Sean,
Can you get from City Hall the address that the tax bills are being sent to??

Yes, and I have. According to the tax collector the tax bills go to the physical address and he paid in early 2001.

I don't know if he is having his mail forwarded or what but I know he is not living there. I wrote a letter to him and put it in the mail this AM.

I guess now I sit back and wait. I asked him to respond even if the asnwer is "not for sale".

Sean

For $15.00 you can run a Carfax on the vehicle.
I think you need the VIN though.

I'm not going in that barn without a flamethrower.:r

I got near the back of the car and a spider the size of a small dog went running. I think I heard some rats too. (and of course being FL there must be the obligatory rattlesnake):eek:

Besides I think the CarFax info will give me last owners name but not address. Correct? Hopefull this guy will get back to me soon.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom