Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Frame painting

78 Shark

Hello all,
I was just wondering if anyone used Eastwoods extreme chasis black and the primer? I just sprayed the primer on the frame and was wondering if it needed to be sanded or scuffed, or can I just top it with the paint? I was going to paint it after 24 hours of dry time for the primer.
Thanks 78 Shark

I used the extreme chassis black on my front control arms. It came out great and will probably use it on the frame too. I ended up using their rust encapsulator as a primer on the arms, it is the equivalent to por 15. I do not see why u would have to sand the primer, if it were body panels, well that's a different story.

I used Eastwood "Chassis Black" for many years then, a couple years ago, switched to "Extreme Chassis Black". I don't use anything else for semigloss black on chassis parts. That product has been oustanding as far as how long it lasts. I used to just prep the surface and spray it on. Recently, I've started to use one coat of Chassis Black primer. That might make the paint last even longer but, it does work well without priming as long as the surface is clean and scuffed up a little.

Thanks

I used Eastwood "Chassis Black" for many years then, a couple years ago, switched to "Extreme Chassis Black". I don't use anything else for semigloss black on chassis parts. That product has been oustanding as far as how long it lasts. I used to just prep the surface and spray it on. Recently, I've started to use one coat of Chassis Black primer. That might make the paint last even longer but, it does work well without priming as long as the surface is clean and scuffed up a little.
I just wanted to say thanks for the post, I am going to paint the frame this weekend. 78 Shark

Don't forget to post pics when it's painted! Rather than painting, I powdercoated my frame but that meant having it sand-blasted first...

-Mac

On the rust encapsulator can, it says for maximum adhesion, scuff sand with 320 grit wet/dry paper. Topcoats after 36 hours must be scuff sanded. I would have the frame sand blasted regardless of which coating system is used.

How much paint?

How many Eastwood extreme aerosol cans of primer and cans of paint did you go thorugh to paint the chassis and chassis parts?

How does this paint hold up under the judges scrutiny?

How many Eastwood extreme aerosol cans of primer and cans of paint did you go thorugh to paint the chassis and chassis parts?

I ended up using rust encapsalator as the primer. About a quart and a half of this stuff. Extreme chassis black, 2 quarts. This painted a lot of the suspension parts also. I put on about 1 coat of rust encapsalator and 2-3 coats of paint. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate it a 9. Very close to professional results.
Do yourself a favor and get a compressor and a HVLP sprayer. It works really well. I wouldn't do it with aerosol cans. Those would be great to have for touch ups. The rust encap needs to be thinned and take out the screen filter in the sprayer, it will clog up the screen. :chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom