Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Frame questions

Johan

Corvette
1974 red coupe, 1969 yellow vert
1)
Is there some special trick to remove the differential crossmember? I have removed the bolts, and tried to pry gently with a crowbar, but it doesent move... Should I just throw in the usual exessive force and bad language?

2)
I have a replacement frame for my old 69 frame. The new frame is supposed to be 69 or 70, it is a manual frame since the transmission crossmember is not bolted, but it does not have the clutch axle bracket? Doesn't look like there was one either because there are no signs of any welds. Not a big problem for me as I'll just have to weld the old bracket there, but how come it looks like this?

/Johan

Differential crossmember hangs within two rubber mounts. If you cannot remove your X-member, your mounts are fine.

Your replacement frame will have a VIN derivitive stamped in two places in the top of the driver's side rail. First:
VINstamper833800.jpg

Second will be on the rail in front of the #4 body mount.

The VIN stamp will tell you the year.

:)

Thanks. The problrem is that the crossmember is on the old frame and I have to transfer it to the new frame. The rubber mounts looks good, but I would like to remove the crossmember without damaging them since a new pair is $100.

Johan,

It's normal to need a very long crowbar and lots of very bad language. I've seen some people need a bar almost 2m long to get it loose. Don't worry about the mounts, they'll be fine.

Put something solid underneath the diff to catch it when it comes loose.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom