Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Frame Restoration

Ray We are using the rust mort right now . Ive used it for about ten years. with no problems. But I cant get over the fact that its a water based product. Im searching for a replacement if I come with somthing Ill pass it on

Restoration

As we are talking about restoration what is this about a Bel Air frame painted silver clear coat?
I have nevr seen a restored frame that color.
Im I missing something here.
Hey it might look better than black. LOL

FRAME RESTORAION

Velo!
The information I was looking for is a product that could be sprayed into any framing opening to stop the rust on the inside of the frame. It is my understanding that some frames rust from the inside to the outside. The frame traps dirt and salt water inside the frame and the dirt will continually retain moisture. I was hoping to preasure wash where possible, let dry and then apply a protective coating. I believe we now have some products to research.

Thanks for all the positive responces!!

Ray

When I did my frame, I had it chemically dipped. After painting the outside, I used an inexpensive rustproofing spray gun I purchased from J.C. Whitney (also available from Eastwood) with some 3M (I believe) rustroofing to spray inside the frame (heavy dark liquid that semi-dries to a firm rubbery consistency, similar to what Ziebart and other rustproofing processes use) . I taped off all the holes except the one I was using for access at any given time, inserting the wands and spray nozzles that came with the gun. I could gauge the effective coverage of my coating pretty well by the coverage on the pieces of tape I removed from the various holes. Can't tell you how long it lasts, but my guess is that it should be very effective for many years.

WayneC said:
When I did my frame, I had it chemically dipped. After painting the outside, I used an inexpensive rustproofing spray gun I purchased from J.C. Whitney (also available from Eastwood) with some 3M (I believe) rustroofing to spray inside the frame (heavy dark liquid that semi-dries to a firm rubbery consistency, similar to what Ziebart and other rustproofing processes use) . I taped off all the holes except the one I was using for access at any given time, inserting the wands and spray nozzles that came with the gun. I could gauge the effective coverage of my coating pretty well by the coverage on the pieces of tape I removed from the various holes. Can't tell you how long it lasts, but my guess is that it should be very effective for many years.
Yes that seems to me the proper way to do it.
I like the manner which you employed to check the thickness of the spray inside the frame.
My "64 and '65 did not have any problem in that area and I sold them before any rust developed but I know the mid year Corvettes were prone to rust and rot in that small area of the frame just in front of the rear wheels. Happy motoring. Jake H.

Ray I talked to a SEM chemist today , He says that all the rust converters that they have tested have water to help with the high acid content, he said that the alcoholhelps evaporate the water before it can cause any problems.

Velo, on the 57 belair frame it started as restoration but soon turned into show car . I told the owner we should paint the frame somthing other than black The rest of the car is tri coat candy apple red. I thought the black frame would have looked like a spraybomb resto
jerry

Jerry.Thankyou for the explanation on the Bel-Air frame. I was curious why a restored car would have a silver clearcoat frame.
Myself anything other than as it left the factory is not my cup of tea however with all the run of the mill cars which IMHO all look the same I can see why someone wants to built something that looks a bit different.
Having owned BMW,Mercedes-Benz, Audi's etc.etc.
I still think North American cars are the best but sometimes the quality control leaves something to be desired.
Keep on driving. Greetings from the land of the chill.

Frame finish

JohnZ used PPG DP-90 medium gloss epoxy primer flattened about 20% on his '57 Corvette frame and reports that "it's an excellent compromise between correct appearance and modern durability; still looks like it did five years ago, and the usual road grime and dirt, rain splash, etc. just falls off when I hit it with a hose and it's clean again."

Thanks for the great info John.

Tom

Rust defender

I use a product that I bring in from the United Stated called Rust Defender, come in gallon cans, white and yellow label. has a tan finnish when dry and is a polyester based sealer primer. It is catylized with MEK just like fibreglass resin. It seals well, easily sands and also works well on bare metal. If anyone need further info email me I will be glad to pass on the info.

P.S. I have a frame problem, mine has been repaired several times and I want to replace it, anyone that can help, please let me know

Bill

Hey Bill, I've heard that 68 had a lot of problems with the frames being torqued apart. seems like they corrected the problem in 69, but I also believe the frames for 68 only fit 68. You might want to contact vette products of Michigan to ask if their replacement frames have been upgraded to handle the power. vetteproducts@voyager.net I don't have any first hand experience with them, but they were the only ones I found offering new frames. Hope this helps

Steve :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom