Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Frame Rust on Later model C3s

raybee

Corvette
1981 Dark Bronze 4 Speed
Happy Sunday all.....what part(s) of the frame are most prone to rust on the 78 - 82 models?

Happy Sunday all.....what part(s) of the frame are most prone to rust on the 78 - 82 models?

Same as all '63-'82's - the rear half of the main side rails, and the entire area at the rear of the side rails where the trailing arm pockets are at the beginning of the kickup.

Just about anywhere there is a weld, also look very closely where the front suspension and crossmember are attached to the frame.

Cheers

Richard

Same as all '63-'82's - the rear half of the main side rails, and the entire area at the rear of the side rails where the trailing arm pockets are at the beginning of the kickup.

attachment.php

Ouch- that is significant rust damage!!!!

Under the windshield as well that's where I found the rust on mine when I redid her!!!!
look in behind the kick panel on the floor for any indications up in there!!!!

Birdcage rot is just as serious as frame rust, if not more so, on any C3. I always start there when inspecting a car and walk away if there's anything serious.

Well, you asked...Contemplating a project car? Think twice or three times.

rust1-1.jpg

winshieldrot.jpg

TAcollapse.jpg

Wow those pictures make me feel better about my car :p
Its not so bad after all.

Wow those pictures make me feel better about my car :p
Its not so bad after all.

Amen to that!

My '80 Vette's frame was covered in scale- but no soft spots. Within 20 years, I bet it would have looked like the pictures above if I didn't do anything to address it.

Paul67 said:
Contemplating a project car? Think twice or three times.
:thumb

Oddly enough, it was the fact my '80 was quickly becoming more project than car that lead me to selling it. :ugh

I had a huge list that seemed to grow daily of things I wanted / needed to do for the '80. It was quickly becoming no fun to own it- let alone drive it- because of "the list".:W

Of course there were two other factors that weighed in... my son and daughter. I want to be able to take both of them out when we go for a cruise. That is a bit difficult with a Vette and the ever growing strictness of seat belt law enforcement.

Back to the original topic...
I think the consensus is to avoid cars with significant rust on the frame. My $.02- You'll go broke or mad trying to fix it.:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom