Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fresh C3 brake problems

naz235

Corvette
1975 Dark Red L82
So I've gone and made myself some new problems

I found my front calipers to be leaking, and suspecting the obvious, opted to remove and inspect the inside of the caliper piston bores. Sure enough, there was a decent amount of fluid dripping from the piston seals. The calipers had been sleeved and were in fairly good shape, so I opted to rebuild them. Removal and disassembly went well, and 3 of the 4 pistons went in smoothly. #4 was a problem child and ended up getting stuck in a bore because I cocked it in sideways a bit and then actually broke the damn thing trying to wiggle it back out. $2 part and $8 in shipping later, i put it all together and go to bleed it.

A few brake pumps later and I hear a nasty pop, and an even more disturbing dripping sound. I brake cleaned the caliper down and found it seemed to be dripping from the seam in the caliper housing. Is it possible that the fresh new o-ring blew, or is it more likely that I blew one of the fresh new lip seals?

So I've gone and made myself some new problems

I found my front calipers to be leaking, and suspecting the obvious, opted to remove and inspect the inside of the caliper piston bores. Sure enough, there was a decent amount of fluid dripping from the piston seals. The calipers had been sleeved and were in fairly good shape, so I opted to rebuild them. Removal and disassembly went well, and 3 of the 4 pistons went in smoothly. #4 was a problem child and ended up getting stuck in a bore because I cocked it in sideways a bit and then actually broke the damn thing trying to wiggle it back out. $2 part and $8 in shipping later, i put it all together and go to bleed it.

A few brake pumps later and I hear a nasty pop, and an even more disturbing dripping sound. I brake cleaned the caliper down and found it seemed to be dripping from the seam in the caliper housing. Is it possible that the fresh new o-ring blew, or is it more likely that I blew one of the fresh new lip seals?

I would guess its one of the lip seals. The o-rings are fairly reliable. Although in saying that I've also had leaks past the sleave as well, but these tend to be a very small leak

the lip seals are notorious for leaking..When I did my '81 i did a little
research on the brakes and found this out.I was going to rebuild mine with o-ring but opted to
purchase remans,as there has been rust in a couple of them.never had a problem wit them in 10 years!

If the leak is coming from the part line between the caliper halves and the caliper bolts were tightened properly, my guess is you blew out one of those little o-rings.

I found the problem, and it was just as I suspected. Air had blown out one of the lip seals and split it cleanly, the caliper housing o-rings were intact.

Luckily, RockAuto had sent me a defective kit so I ended up with a few spare lip seals after I received the other wheel's kit.

So thats one of the 50 leaks taken care of

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom