Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Bumper Question

daveintexas

Corvette
1974 454 Stingray
When I bought my '74, the front and rear bumpers had been replaced. The front bumper is solid!?!?! there are no openings in it like I have seen on other vettes. I have the metal grilles, but they are just a bit larger than the area for them to fit, and besides, isnt that area supposed to be open?? Can anybody give me any info on what might be going on with this? Thanks!

daveintexas said:
When I bought my '74, the front and rear bumpers had been replaced. The front bumper is solid!?!?! there are no openings in it like I have seen on other vettes. I have the metal grilles, but they are just a bit larger than the area for them to fit, and besides, isnt that area supposed to be open?? Can anybody give me any info on what might be going on with this? Thanks!
Just a guess, but it would seem you have an after market bar (bumper) that hasnt been totally finished.
It may have been moulded solid to ease production pull from the mould, or to cut out grilles etc after transportation, but prior to fitting & painting.
The person fitting it may have not known this, although you would question thier experiance a little.
If this is a correct reproduction bar, it should still be able to be finished as intended amd the grilles fitted.
In the mean time, I hope she doesnt get to hot under the collar with no airflow direct to the radiator!.
Good Luck

:beer Grant

I have pics of the bumper, but they are too large. I'm a pc dummy so I cant seem to get it quite small enough to fit the size limitations :( I would email you a pic if it will help. Thanks!

Sounds like a 'glass cover that never got finished. The grills should fit into the holes, but, if you have no holes....
I think you will probably need to remove the bumper cover, and cut out the grill openings. The grills actually bolt(screw) to brackets on the front of the bumper bar, not the bumper cover.
Cut the holes out, and the grills should fit just fine.

I think Y'all are right. It looks like it was molded that way, and the guy didnt know to cut them out before installing it. I am going to take a Dremel and cut the openings out. Thanks for your help!!

Here's another link on how to post pics here. All you need to do first is establish a free account at FLICKR.com. If you have a yahoo account, then you already have a FLICKR account too!

One note to be aware of before cutting the openings. The glass fascia I installed on my '74 was cut, but there were small dimples near the corners where the grill screws go. I think they were for mounting the grills (I don't have the original grills so I'm not 100% sure). Just check to see if yours has anything similar before you cut - nothing worse than cutting off the mounting points!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom