Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Caliper Rattle

R

raggtopp

I have a rattle in the front end on both sides when I drive over small bumps or expansion strips. I have figured out that it is the front calipers. With a small application of brake pedal, the noise stops. On inspection, the calipers are able to be moved up and down a small distance by hand. The pin with a clip on the end on the lower part of the caliper moves freely and could rattle also. I suppose I could slap in a CD and turn up the radio, but I do like to hear the exhaust too. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to eliminate the rattle? :confused

Just becasue I'm driving slowly doesn't mean that I have to....:cool

Had the same problem also the front brakes. Started after the garage replaced the pads. Seems the "anti rattle" clips aren't supplied with the pads anymore. I bought them at NAPA, they're listed as part of the caliper rebuild kit. Ditto for the rear brakes, but they're a different part and my rears didn't rattle.
HTH

tonylong said:
Had the same problem also the front brakes. Started after the garage replaced the pads. Seems the "anti rattle" clips aren't supplied with the pads anymore. I bought them at NAPA, they're listed as part of the caliper rebuild kit. Ditto for the rear brakes, but they're a different part and my rears didn't rattle.
HTH
Thx Tony! I've checked some sites and see the anti-rattle clips mentioned. How many clips per caliper do you use? Does one use them on both pads, top and bottom?

4 clips 2 each side or one for each pad the install at the bottom, they clip on the steel part of the pad... Hopefuly you can look at another C4 and see how they go.

Wegone said:
4 clips 2 each side or one for each pad the install at the bottom, they clip on the steel part of the pad... Hopefuly you can look at another C4 and see how they go.

Thx! I think that I have seen what appears to be a clip on the pad, but it has been installed on the top ( upper), not the bottom. I haven't taken anything apart yet, so am not sure whether there is a clip on the other pad. Probably get 4 new clips and replace all. Cheap enough, easy enough.

Just because I'm driving slowly doesn't mean that I have to. :cool

I had the same thing happen to the 89' I had and it was a broken spring thingy on the pad. Is this spring the rattle clip your refering to? They were already on the new pads I bought but it was awhile ago that happened.Also where might the flux capacitor be on a 94'?

94conv. said:
I had the same thing happen to the 89' I had and it was a broken spring thingy on the pad. Is this spring the rattle clip your refering to? They were already on the new pads I bought but it was awhile ago that happened.Also where might the flux capacitor be on a 94'?

Probably so...or at least generically speaking. The clip is a weird shaped spring steel thingy that applies tension similar to a spring. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom