Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front end rebuild

ducvw2004

Corvette
2008 C6
Hi folks,

I want to rebuild the front end of my '81, in other words, replace all bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.

Any recommendations as to a particular kit? (urethane)

I seems like all of the vendors have a package, but they are more or less complete.

Help please!

Plain-ol polyurethane is nice for handling, but VERY squeaky! Even if you apply the silicone grease...eventually it goes away and they squeak...and is it ever annoying! I used the polygraphite (graphite impregnated polyurethane) on a 3rd gen Camaro once, and those didn't make any noise at all. If you want to go with poly....spend a little extra and get the graphite!

I only use Rubber but many use poly, be sure you loctite the bushings bolts as they loosen up with poly.

I used the Poly- got a kit from Summit for $179. I did cheat just a little- I drilled all the shells thru the poly, cut grooves in the inner diameter and installed zerks. Packed them chock full of that lube that comes with them and if they ever squeak I can lube them with a grease gun. I did locktite the bolts like GTR1999 suggests,

I used the Poly- got a kit from Summit for $179. I did cheat just a little- I drilled all the shells thru the poly, cut grooves in the inner diameter and installed zerks. Packed them chock full of that lube that comes with them and if they ever squeak I can lube them with a grease gun. I did locktite the bolts like GTR1999 suggests,

I did that on my '84 as well. If I had to do it again...I'd use polygraphite.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom