Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front facia paint

jrose7004

Corvette
10 Grand Sport Coupe Artic White
Seems I get tons of rock chips on my nose. I've had the front facia painted twice and right now it looks like the car has been through a sand storm. What type paint and what process is best to use to keep this from being a continual problem?

I dont know, but when you find out...call me :)
I asked a reputable body guy here, he can do it no problem, but apparently the only right way is to take whatever you are painting off (well, if its going to extend beyond any seam in the body anyway). Wasn't too hot on the idea of disassembling my car (small chips on the hood and I'd have the front bumper done).
What did it cost you to do your the last time? Was it just mask off the bumper and paint and clear?

Ultimately,Factory paint is the Toughest!!! It's Baked on to Stay on!!! The higher build up of paint, the easier it chips!! So with that in mind I try to remove as much of the old finish as I can without going through the Factory primer!!! And then I use a Flexible Parts Primer,(Marson seams to be more Flexible) and a Flex additive in my clear!! As far as Base coats (depending on color) I use Dupont Chroma Base,Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000, or R-M Dimont!!I've had the best matches with Dimont on High Metallic and Pearls the last couple years!! I really like using Ultra 7000 but the cost and match just has not been there,the Dimont has allot better coverage!!(Less paint buildup) and I use Montana Clear that is suitable by using whatever Catalyst you need for the application and temperature range!!! (Spot,Panel or Overall) I've been getting Great results!! Below are examples of Spot repairs!!:upthumbs :cool
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Below is a typical Spot repair of a Front Bumper!!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:upthumbs :D :cool

I'd look at a clear bra after having it painted.Thats just me.

A have to agree here.

The only way that I've been able to protect mine is with a bra, clear or otherwise.

gmjunkie, When are you going to be in my area?HeHeHe:L w/ your paint shop.
My shop ain't Move'n!! :ugh But your welcome to Follow Vett Boy down the first of next month for the Dragon!!! I think I've got a couple places to touch up for him before we sell his car!!:upthumbs

Same Problem with my Vert!

Whenever I get it painted I'll probably do the clear protective film possibly. When is everyone doing the Dragon?
Ed

Really looks like you know your stuff Junk. . . . . . Some great work there.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom