Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

front hub & bearings

A

aussie

in regards to the front hub & bearing assemblys has any one had one apart to see if just the bearing can be replaced. i have heard of someone replacing the bearing only by maching a circlip groove in the hub has any done such a thing.??????????????????

I've got an old one sitting in my garage that I just replaced; I can take a close look at it. However, from what I remember of it, it's not easy to take the hub apart. Is there any particular reason (other than possible cost savings) that you don't want to just replace the whole hub assembly?
[RICHR]

Front hub & bearings

I have replaced a few of these in my Vettes but I can't imagine being able to disassemble that hub. They pretty much have it locked down to sell you the whole thing. And if it is a financial consideration just wait until you go for the rear hubs!

One gotcha and it don't apply to you because you have an '86. I have an '85 and it does not have antilock brakes. Therefore the hub that supports antilock brakes will not fit into the cavity for the hub on an '85. There is one part no. that will fit both but not the one with the antilock connectors on it.

But your endeavor to replace the bearings impresses me. If you manage to do it let us know how. :)

Re: Front hub & bearings

boblx2a said:

One gotcha and it don't apply to you because you have an '86. I have an '85 and it does not have antilock brakes. Therefore the hub that supports antilock brakes will not fit into the cavity for the hub on an '85. There is one part no. that will fit both but not the one with the antilock connectors on it.

I just replaced front and rear hub and bearings on the left. The p/n I had was for 84-96 inclusive. There's what looks like a set of gear teeth on the far inside of the front hub; this is what interacts with the ABS sensor. I don't know why it wouldn't fit in an 85 unless it's deeper on the 86 models. On the rear, these teeth appear to be part of the halfshaft.

Incidently, a discovery: if you put a brake pad in reversed (ie, with pad side OUT) it doesn't work very well and does a REALLY good job of scoring the rotor :( .
[RICHR]

Re: Re: Front hub & bearings

rrubel said:

Incidently, a discovery: if you put a brake pad in reversed (ie, with pad side OUT) it doesn't work very well and does a REALLY good job of scoring the rotor :( .
[RICHR]

Little too much :drink can cause that to happen! :L

Are these bearing assemblies "side sensitive"?
Do yo need a right side on the right? or, are they interchangable left to right?

I just replaced the front hubs on my 84. The new units had the speed sensor teeth and they fit in the hole fine. The old style are just as deep as the new ones.

Dave

Re: EEEEKKKKK

Drewser said:
:j Rich...you are too much!

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself"

Apparently I wasn't the first person to do that on this car. Both sides of the pad were worn and blackened when I first took it off, and there was no extra metal shield like on the other pad. It was dark in the garage and late at night and I really have no excuse for not checking my work before putting it together other than I was excited at being able to replace the bearing (I had some doubts earlier as I couldn't easily get the old one off) and working too quickly. So anyway - point learned. *always* double-check your work.

Regarding side swappability, I bought one front and one rear bearing. Wasn't offered a choice of side, and nothing on the unit itself seems to require a specific direction of travel.

I did also gain a decent understanding of how the E-brake works (the hub/bearing is set into the e-brake hardware).
[RICHR]

Front hub & bearings

The one with the sensor teeth will fit. The one with the sensor teeth and cap over them with the connectors on it will not fit. Unless you want to do what the parts store told me to do, knock off the added paraphanalia. I was not about to do that on a hub that costs that much. Not when he could get me the right one in the first place. His manual said any will fit from '84 to.... Which of couse was not the case..............

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom