Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Front License Plate Poll

Guitared

Corvette
1996 Black LT4
I live in a state that requires a front license plate. However, I think it is ugly! I choose to leave it off and put my 'Corvette' cover on. I see a lot of other owners that do the same. Just curious,

• How many of you folks do not put on the front plate even though it is illegal to do so where you live?
  • If you do leave it off, how much trouble do you get from the cops?

I have both plates on my car. Their both on the rear, so technically I am legal. Of course, that's my interpetation. If Clinton can do it so can I.

Ain't been stopped yet. The police are pretty loose on that around here.

i have them both on . i just dont like giving the cops any extra reasons to pull me over, having a vet is reason enough. the chp has a mandate ,statewide to pull over and write tickets on no front plate .its not a fix it deal either , you dont get points on your record , but you wallet gets lightened 75 for the first time 200 for the second time 500 for the 3 rd time and you can get your license suspended after that.lookin pretty can be costly:mad

Virginia requires 2--I only have the rear--so far so good I guess. Years ago I did get grief for having a USA 1 plate on the front of my Z-28 though.

and then some

Went a while without the front plate and then got a warning, so now its on. (I think it really takes away from the looks of the car to have it there.) However, I got a ticket in Mass. for having a tinted plate cover on the rear. I was not a happy camper about that. :mad

IL requires 2 plates. I used to hate front plates and paid the "front plate delete tax", or in other words - a $75 compliance ticket.

This adds up fast, so I just put the plate on the front of all my cars now. I figure that is just throwing money away with the stupid tickets.

At least with the Corvette, there is no need to drill any ugly brackets into the bumper.

Indiana don't require a plate on the front.
I removed the cover and Installed a grill it really helps to keep it cool in hot weather.

Duragloss010.jpg

Wash.state requires both plates. Though it looks ugly with the front plate I don't need the hassle of the police,thus both plates. Doug

I also live in Colorado and I run a front plate. I don't want to give the police a reason to pull me over. A friend ran his C5 without a front plate until a trooper wrote him a ticket. As long as the state requires it, I will run the front plate!

I also live in Colorado and I run a front plate. I don't want to give the police a reason to pull me over. A friend ran his C5 without a front plate until a trooper wrote him a ticket. As long as the state requires it, I will run the front plate!

I also live in Colorado, and have front plates on the 02 and the 94, both encased in clear plastic covers from MAMW. Wish we didn't have the law about the front plates, but we do. It is my understanding from discussions with others that the Denver police will ticket you if you are not running front plates. Guess it depends upon the jurisdiction.
Barrett

Illinois also requires a front plate. I run one because like many have already said....why give the police a reason to pull you over.

At one time I had heard that the Illinois legislature was going to exempt Corvettes from the front plate requirement, but considering that they can't decide the difference between night and day I'm not holding out hope on that ever happening.

Illinois also requires a front plate. I run one because like many have already said....why give the police a reason to pull you over.

At one time I had heard that the Illinois legislature was going to exempt Corvettes from the front plate requirement, but considering that they can't decide the difference between night and day I'm not holding out hope on that ever happening.

That's true. Corvette owners would have to purchase a special plate and pay extra. I think this posed a problem because it discriminates. So, no luck on that one passing.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I know this isn't the topic of the century but I've always wondered about other peoples experiences with the police when it comes to front plates. I've run without a front plate for the last four years without trouble. I was even pulled over once in Southern Colorado for doing 71 in a 65. The cop was driving a Z28. He didn't give me a ticket or anything, he just said he needed to tell his boss he was doing something all day. He also told me I should "get a medal for only driving 71 in this car" and he would only write me a ticket if I was going 78 or more. He said nothing about the front plate. This cop is certainly the exception and not the rule for most of my experiences with law enforcement. I've just been lucky so far.

I see a number of folks are concerned about giving the police a reason to pull them over. That implies they feel the police are just looking for any reason whatsoever to pull them over. Do the police have probable cause to pull us over with no front plate? Yes. Do they likewise have discretion to leave us alone if our only violation is no front plate? Yes. Do we feel the police exercise their discretion in a responsible way that considers the freedoms of everyday, law abiding citizens? Most of the time, NO!

We want to leave the front plate off because it is just plain ugly on a Corvette. We all know that and so do the police. They know we are not out to commit a crime but just enjoying the benefits of owning and driving such a fine piece of American ingenuity. We are enthusiast, not criminals. In spite of our well understood intentions, they instead use it as a reason to pull us over, delay us from our destination, trash talk us, look for other things they might cite us for and ultimately get money out of our wallets (as if we don't already pay too much tax). This is a sad state of affairs. Why should we fear the police? Is America slowly becoming a police state?

After reviewing all your comments and considering the current attitudes of most law enforcement officers, I've decided to allow the state to interfere with my enjoyment and put the front plate back on my Corvette. I too fear the police because they have way too much power and many abuse it. Our freedoms are slowly being stripped away.

Sorry about the rant and I invite your comments.

Guitared...rant away...but you're preaching to the choir here!

I have seen people put their plate on the dash before but dont know if that would actually legally comply and might vary state to state. Odds are you'd be harrassed anyway.

Thankfully PA is still a "back plate state" but with the influence of nearby NewYork and NewJermany who knows what the future holds :mad

CA requires a front plate but I run the rear only on my C4 and C5.

lic plate poll

Of course here in NY you have to have 2 plates. I keep the front one on to so i don't hear anything from 5 O.. I wish all the states would go to 1 plate..you would think it would be cheaper. I just put a nice frame around it. What are you going to do. They have that bracket to where you can fold your plate under for car show's ..drive with that on and if you get stopped just say G I CAN'T BELIEVE THE WIND BLEW IT UP AGAIN...:chuckle

I do like that idea with the retractable plate. It could be spring loaded or hydraulicly deploy. But it might be kinda obvious since it isnt where the plate goes.
I've got THE solution!
Rotating plate like 007 's DB5!!
How COOL would that be?
"What do you mean occifer? :confused Its right THERE?!?! Have you been dipping into the evidence locker again?!?!" :chuckle

here is the latest from Oregon:

State v. Nguyen
Case No.: A133428
http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/A133428.htm

AREA OF LAW: TRAFFIC INFRACTIONS

HOLDING: (Opinion by Brewer C.J.) A license plate placed behind the
windshield of a vehicle does not comply with the statutory requirement
that it be placed on the "foremost" part of the vehicle.

Defendant was convicted of driving while suspended. On appeal, he argued
that the trial court erred in denying his motion to suppress. The motion
contended that the evidence obtained from the traffic stop should be
suppressed because the officer did not have a reasonable belief that
defendant committed a traffic violation. The officer pulled defendant
over for failing to post his registration on the front of his vehicle
pursuant to ORS 803.540. When the officer got closer to the car, he
realized the plate was displayed on the front dash board of defendant's
car. Defendant argued that this complied with the statute because he
displayed the plate on the front of his car. The Court of Appeals held
that, as the word is used in the statute, "the front" means foremost,
meaning defendant should have displayed his plate on the foremost part of
his vehicle. The Court noted that the legislature, in saying "the front,"
did not intend to allow various interpretations of "front." Affirmed.

Oh, one more thing for all the anti-cop whiners out there. If you come to Oregon with no insurance or no valid driver's license, and you get stopped (for speeding, no front plate, 2-3 bales of marijuana in the rear trying to get to Seattle up I-5, etc.), plan on having your Corvette towed direct to the tow yard, no exceptions !!

Black Bart where did you get that front grill, I like it.
Gordon

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom