Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Parking Lights always on - What's That?

bluecoupe said:
possible consequences? :confused
I agree. the data that supports the use of running lights as an accident prevention is less than fully convincing. As I understand it, it was based on a study of accident rates in a northern location (Canada? Scandinavia?) and the data was equivocal. Perhaps someone out there has better information about what the running lights supporting data is.

bluecoupe said:
possible consequences? :confused
Just as 50 4Ever said, there are possible consequences to going faster than the posted speed limit (we all know about those), or as I said disabling your DRL's. Government bureaucrats thought that DRL's helped to reduce accidents, so they became required. If you believe the stats, then the consequence is some small increase in your risk of an accident. If you don't believe the accident stats then the consequence may be nothing.
What would the other guy's insurance company say if you t-boned somebody who pulled out in front of you if he knew you had intentionally disabled your DRL's? Maybe nothing, but maybe they would try to assign some small % of blame to you for the accident since you had disabled a safety feature on your car. And more important to me, you just had an accident (helping to raise everyone's insurance rates) that maybe could've been avoided if the other guy had seen your DRL's.

DRTH VTR said:
I agree. the data that supports the use of running lights as an accident prevention is less than fully convincing. As I understand it, it was based on a study of accident rates in a northern location (Canada? Scandinavia?) and the data was equivocal. Perhaps someone out there has better information about what the running lights supporting data is.
I don't have any data, I've never seen any data, BUT, in misty weather or around dusk, there are times I can see an approaching vehicle with it's DRL's on but if a vehicle is coming without the lights, it sure isn't as obvious to me. Let's face it, we don't always turn our lights on as soon as we should.

I can't be the only one to have noticed this and if you have noticed it, there shouldn't be any question about how useful they are!! See and be seen!!

Motorcycles should always have their headlights on all the time for that reason, they are more visible, and Lordy, they need all the help they can get!!!

Only in Canada you say??? Pity! ... :D

Ron ... :beer

I am all for DRLs. They need to put them on the tail and sides of the car. Rear fog lights are a great idea too. As the population of the US gets older their vision gets worse. The roads are also getting more crowded and confusing. Car interiors are getting quieter and loud radios and air conditioning are standard in most cars. Passengers are watching DVDs instead of looking out of the car and warning of approaching danger. We need all the help we can get.

Some days I wish I had a flag person standing up out of the targa top waving off the idiots.

I'm still amazed that you bought a C5 and had no clue about these lights.

Every C5 on the road (barring the few that have disabled them) has them on while driving. You've never noticed this before?

toolman44092 said:
I'm still amazed that you bought a C5 and had no clue about these lights.

Every C5 on the road (barring the few that have disabled them) has them on while driving. You've never noticed this before?
Sure, I saw them, but it did not register in my head that the parking lights were being used as DRL's, since you can manually turn on parking lights on any car. I don't remember seeing any other vehicle using parking lights as DRL's. There weren't many vehicles with hidden headlights being sold new after the mandatory DRL laws came into effect.

bluecoupe said:
I am all for DRLs. They need to put them on the tail and sides of the car. Rear fog lights are a great idea too. As the population of the US gets older their vision gets worse. The roads are also getting more crowded and confusing. Car interiors are getting quieter and loud radios and air conditioning are standard in most cars. Passengers are watching DVDs instead of looking out of the car and warning of approaching danger. We need all the help we can get.

Some days I wish I had a flag person standing up out of the targa top waving off the idiots.
I have to echo this. I was recently in an accident (not in the vette) at twilight where an older, vision-impaired man did not see me and pulled a left right in front of me coming from the opposite direction.

I am convinced that DRL's would have helped him to see me. (As would have a flag person on top waving him off, strobe lights and sirens :L )

Besides, they look COOL!

JMO

Tammy

bluecoupe said:
Don't misunderstand me, I use my DRL and am not opposed to their use. I scanned much of that link and have a few comments. The article was pro DRL's, so it has an obvious bias. I give the writer credit in that he did point out the weakness of the data (high lattitudes, small sample size, poor study design, etc). I guess that my point is that DRL's are useful, but they are no safety "slam dunk". Having said all that, I also argued against disabling a safety feature earlier in this thread. I kind of like the look on the Corvette anyway. My biggest problem with them is that I can mistake a Camaro for a Corvette at a distance. :L

MsSchroder said:
I have to echo this. I was recently in an accident (not in the vette) at twilight where an older, vision-impaired man did not see me and pulled a left right in front of me coming from the opposite direction.

I am convinced that DRL's would have helped him to see me. (As would have a flag person on top waving him off, strobe lights and sirens :L )

Besides, they look COOL!

JMO

Tammy
lets not make fun of us 70 year old vision impaired corvette drivers,but i agree with you i like the DRL and i even turn on the headlights in the daytime when i am in my older silverado because i know from experience that sometimes you will not see a car if the lights are not on even in the daytime.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom