Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Plate used?

Do you use a front plate?

• Yes I do

Votes: 146 31.7%
  • I'm a rebel, so nope

Votes: 204 44.3%
  • It's not required in my state

Votes: 111 24.1%

• Total voters

Bioscache2

Corvette
2001 Blk Coupe
I was just curious how many people put the front plate on their car and how many chose to forgo it and just run the risk. If your lucky enough to live in a state where its not required then your choice is simple. I think I'm just gonna roll the dice and keep it off but I was curious.

jrose,
I'm jealous. :L

Seriously, various requests have been floated up to the Colorado State Legislature over the past 20 years to remove the front license plate requirement. Unfortunately, every one of them has failed because of the Law Enforcement lobby.

What I don't understand about front plates is why, if they are intended to identify the vehicle to law enforcement (which is what the LE Lobby has claimed, every time some consumer group tried to get new legislation introduced), why aren't the plates printed in reverse, so that you can read them in a rear view mirror?
:confused

-Patrick

CORed91 said:
jrose,
I'm jealous. :L

Seriously, various requests have been floated up to the Colorado State Legislature over the past 20 years to remove the front license plate requirement. Unfortunately, every one of them has failed because of the Law Enforcement lobby.

What I don't understand about front plates is why, if they are intended to identify the vehicle to law enforcement (which is what the LE Lobby has claimed, every time some consumer group tried to get new legislation introduced), why aren't the plates printed in reverse, so that you can read them in a rear view mirror?
:confused

-Patrick
Also when your trying to identify someone its usually because they are driving away, not towards you

I have the plate mounted but normally keep the cover over it -- I have to update my sig someday....

I set it up so the cover is easily removed, hoping if I'm stopped the cop won't ticket me if I show him the plate is there.

As far as why the cops say they need the front plate (at least in TX) is to have a laser target.

It's the law here in good ole Texas and since I'm a cop I have to lead by example and not be a hypocrite. I sure don't like it though.

I have one on my '77 and one on my '95, but I will not put one on my '04 unless I am forced to do so...2 out of three "aint" bad.......:L

update...I now use a front plate on my '04...got a ticket:L

It's amazing that the number of folks that complain about having to have a front plate are also the ones that gripe when they get a ticket for no front plate. The lines of the car (C4 or C5 or even teh C6) don't look as good with the front plate installed, but IMHO, if it comes to having the car look nice or the long arm of the law reach out and tap me from behind and give me a ticket, I'll take the front plate and no hassle anyday.

Guess I don't have much sympathy for those that complain about getting a ticket because their car don't look cool with a front plate.

I have the front plate mounted for 3 reasons. First, it's required in New York and I don't need to give the LEOs any more reason to stop me. Second, I'm over in Canada quite a bit and Customs/Immigration were hassling me about it at the bridge. Finally, I pay extra for my custom plates and want to get my money's worth! I know I'm in the minority but IMHO it doesn't look bad at all. Much better than what I've seen on the C6.

I live in a state that requires the front plate too, so I've got mine on there too. In all honesty, I don't think it looks all that bad, especially when I compare it to all the other cars on the road that have the front plate brackets that look like an afterthought.

I have yet to hear of anyone having to pay a ticket concerning a front plate. I think both of the stories I have heard involved installing the front plate and showing it to the judge, then getting the ticket dropped. Still a hassle I guess.

As for the front plate needing to be there for a laser target, I don't buy that...there are other targets for a laser. Besides, front plates have been around for a lot longer than lidar.

Sen

Front Plates in MD

Also in MD ... my front plates have always been in there, but I have my front tag cover always. Got pulled by state trooper around start of year 2004 for not having the front tags ... I apologized for not remembering to take cover out.:D
Once the trooper seen the front plate attached securely, he just smiled and said nice car and have a nice day. When trooper was gone I just put the cover back in place. :)

Dan :w ---> don't forget to wave!!! :v

Thank goodness NC does not require a front plate.

I pitty the C6 owners of front plate states.

Hi To All,
This is NYS. Whatever it takes to make things worse. Law requires 2 plates. The good news is that the NYS plate looks real great with the EBM and the front plate holder. So I got lucky, it looks real good. If I had any other color, it would look real bad.
Blue Borg Brian 1 of 58

New Jersey is over regulated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

I have my front plates on but l have noticed that 90% of the corvettes here do not have their front plates on.

In fact one family nearby thinks that they are related to the Soprano's and not only do not have their front plates on they took off the front brackets on all four of their cars and trucks.

And to go one further they have illegal tints on all of their windows.

Last week they brought home a new LS (Lincoln) that looked good until they chromed it up with chorome wheels and exhaust tips plus an illegal tint. Now it looks like a cheap car.

This has been going on for years, but with my luck l would probably get stopped before l leave my driveway.

Alan

Don't need to give the LEO's any reason to pull me over ... I thought about being a rebel but then I heard of too many people getting stopped for the tag. MD is putting red light cameras everywhere so they are taking the front tags more seriously ... oh well ...

Besides ... when I'm behind the wheel the front tag does not effect my smile ...

I just put a plate on my 04 C5. I picked up the front plate holder from KEWL and it really helps. It makes the front plate look a lot better.

I live in NJ where a front plate is required and I don't want to give a cop a reason to pull me over. I would rather drive with peace of mind that have to worry about a ticket. My brother has a 911 and alocal cop pulle dhim over for not having a front plate.

I have the cover on all the time.. The plate is mounted under it but the cover is held in place with velcro. If I get stopped, I just take it off and tell them I was at a show and forgot to take the cover off.

Gotta have two plates in Germany

No way around that one.

Front plates are still ugly.

Thank God I have the US style plates. Those long European ones would require a lot of changes (Euro tail lights, reflecors, etc.).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom