Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Spoiler

GuyzVette

Corvette
Polo Green 1994 LT-1
I seem to scrape the front spoiler in most driveways and entrance/exits. I try to aim the car at an angle, but that's not always an option. I have also tried almost every angle I can in my own driveway, and it is really hard to get it just right.

I guess my question is, is the front spoiler a necessary item? Has anyone removed theirs altogether? I'm not worried about the effect at 150mph at the moment, because I am not confident enough in the roads here to do that kind of thing.

I don't think my car was lowered, and maybe my suspension is not where I want it to be yet (still only a month old owner).

I'm just tired of scraping the spoiler (not that it hurts anything but the spoiler, because I'm not going that fast), and it's almost embarassing if there are people around and it happens.

Any input?

Guy

Guy, its just part of the fun. Happens to all of us. I don't know about removing it, though. Never looked under there to see how much trouble it might be or if its connected to another panel. For me, its just 'out of sight - out of mind'. Don't worry about it

Happens to me all the time. I rarely can get out of my driveway without scraping it on the curb. I just learned to live with it.

Guy,

Removal of this spoiler may effect the car's cooling. With no grill on the car, all airflow through the radiator is routed from under the nose. A missing air dam may allow much of this flow to go right by.

Jeff

JRMaroon said:
Guy,

Removal of this spoiler may effect the car's cooling. With no grill on the car, all airflow through the radiator is routed from under the nose. A missing air dam may allow much of this flow to go right by.

Jeff

Jeff is correct. Our Vettes are what's called a "bottom feeder". Air to the radiator is directed up into the nose by your front spoiler. I would advise against removing it. A friend of mine lowered just the rear of his vette (not much) and with just the change in angle around the front suspension he noticed slightly better clearance at the front spoiler. Something to consider, anyway.

When I bought my car years ago, it was already lowered. I was scraping across everything: speed bumps, coming out of driveways, etc. Prior to removing the spoiler I monitored the coolant temperature, since I was worried about the effect its absence would have on the cooling. Well, I removed the spoiler and drove for three years without it and there was absolutely no difference in the coolant temperature, it was not any higher than when the spoiler was installed, not even in 100° temps in stop-and-go driving with the a/c on. I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but the spoiler is easily removed, for those of you who are convinced the car won't remain cool without it you can try this experiment for yourself. I'm sure the spoiler has some marginal cooling benefit, but I'm convinced that it is largely cosmetic instead of functional.

For the average driver, the spoiler may not be needed to keep the car cool - especially in city traffic since the fans do most of the work.

However, if you remove the spoilers and then do sustained high speed driving like at an open road race, the car will definitely overheat.

Although I do what I can, being lowered, my front air-dam scrapes periodically. As long as it's not metal that I hear no big deal. If the need arises, they are cheap to replace. I would not remove it.

I lowered my C4 and honestly I do not scrape my spoiler more often than before the lowering. I attribute the to the fact that I dropped the rear too. If your car has too much rack you'll drag the nose, however, a C4 needs some rake to remain stable at high speed. The fix to your problem may have been mentioned previously, drop your rear a little to see if it helps out.

Mike

Thanks, everyone. I think I will remove it for now, and monitor my temperature. Eventually I will be able to get around to being able to lower the rear, and I may put it back on then, just because.

I don't think I have to worry about the temp, because I already have to go out of my way to go the long way home from work to make my trip longer than 5 miles so that I can drive more. :)

Dude, scraping the front air dam is like a beer gut. LIVE WITH IT :)

GuyzVette said:
I seem to scrape the front spoiler in most driveways and entrance/exits. I try to aim the car at an angle, but that's not always an option. I have also tried almost every angle I can in my own driveway, and it is really hard to get it just right.

I guess my question is, is the front spoiler a necessary item? Has anyone removed theirs altogether? I'm not worried about the effect at 150mph at the moment, because I am not confident enough in the roads here to do that kind of thing.

I don't think my car was lowered, and maybe my suspension is not where I want it to be yet (still only a month old owner).

I'm just tired of scraping the spoiler (not that it hurts anything but the spoiler, because I'm not going that fast), and it's almost embarassing if there are people around and it happens.

Any input?

Guy

yeah, fix your wheels, they're on wrong!! you got good taste in vettes.

Here in Holland scraping the curb isn't considered something you shame yourself for. People on the sidewalk then actually can hear a sportscar coming and therefore I don't mind it. The piece is easy detachable by the way. You might even want to consider changing it to an aftermarket piece with another shape. Perhaps there's one that's less low.

Once I got under and looked at the actual piece, it does look a little deformed, like someone had run it into too many curbs. I think it was hanging lover than normal. I took it off for now, and it's really nice to be able to go straight down my driveway now. Thanks, everyone.

Guy

hi there guys,
just a quick tip that i have done for my 91 vette and that is i purchased a pair of three ton metal castor trolley jack wheels and bolted them on under the front which just sit under the radiator support beam which i think for memory is the square long tube that goes along!
very strong with stainless high grade 9 axle bolts and comes into place down curbs,driveways before any thing else gets hit or dammaged!
works beautifully!
looks cool like it has small wheelie bars at front as well!
i have also trimmed the side front lower panel 2" as well and removed the centre piece altogeather,but replaced it with a big mouth air scoop!
have a good one guys
cheers
glen
sxyvet
Australia

DO NOT remove the front air dam on a C4.

It serves two purposes: 1) it improves the aerodynamics of the car at high speed, reducing front end lift but, more importantly, 2) it is a key part of the car's cooling system. It forces air flow up into the cooling air intake.

If you pull off the air dam, expect higher coolant temperatures and, in hot weather, overheating.

The air dam is made of a plastic that is designed to flex somewhat and wear slowly. At some point in time, say 75,000 miles or more, they probably need to be replaced to insure good cooling performance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom