Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front suspension kit recomendations

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
My 68 still has its original front end parts and its feeling a little sloppy, and want to put in new rubber or poly.. lots of choices on where to order from. Any happy customers out there?
Thanks,
Jim

Now you will get a zillion replies on rubber vs poly, but from my experience if you enjoy driving your car and don't imagine your a race car driver I would go with rubber. More dampening effect, nicer ride quality and less possibility of squeaks. But if you like to drive over coins and be able to tell if their heads or tails, go with poly bushings and you tell me.:upthumbs

Muddy's hit the nail on the head. I replaced my 68 with poly and I find a lot of "heads". :L It's just depends on what you want. I went through Mid America and bought the complete front end kit. No matter which you choose, your front end will be tight.:beer

Muddy's hit the nail on the head. I replaced my 68 with poly and I find a lot of "heads". :L It's just depends on what you want. I went through Mid America and bought the complete front end kit. No matter which you choose, your front end will be tight.:beer
Thank You, Bagger

Vette Brakes used to give us CAC members a 10% discount. Check them out.

My recollection is that VB&T does over we CACers a discount, but...there is a thread elsewhere on the site about VB&T having very long delays in refunds. That would deter me from doing business with them.

My choice would be to buy parts from Zip Products. I have switched most of my aftermarket Corvette parts business to them because of their good service. Their prices are competitive with the rest of the aftermarket most of the time but I like them best for their service.

I have also been very happy w/ Zips.. And I didn't know that the poly bushings were more sensitive. Rubber is cheeper too.
Thanks all,

ZIP is awesome :cool!:. I've always been more than satisfied with them.

One thing I haven't seen is the fact most of the kits are imported and there have been ball joint concerns for years. Some of these kits sold had lower ball joint failure in 1000 miles.
You can do what you like but in my opinion the best parts out there today are the full MOOG parts and the USA ones. The cheaper ones are not USA made. I don't know of anyone selling a full MOOG "kit" though so you will have to buy by the part and going to a place like Rock Auto will cost you about $400 a good double the cost of the imported ones. That's all I use and still have some sitting on the shelf.

Wherever you buy your suspension parts, keep in mind what "GTR1999" has said about good-quality chassis parts vs low-priced imports.

Both Zip Products and Rock Auto sell American-made upper and lower ball joints for C3.

Also, if you are doing a "correct" restoration, Zip also sells a line of correct, replacement ball joints which are riveted in place rather than bolted. Zip also sells a line of correct bushings which have the proper section of exposed rubber where as ordinary "replacement" bushings do not. As with the correct ball joints, there's a price surcharge for those correct reproduction parts.

GTR1999 and Hib are spot on. A vendor you can get those parts from is Van Steel. I've recieved very good parts and service from those guys!

I would stop by your local NAPA and see what they have to offer.
Don't count out your local GM parts department. I once needed
a lower ball joint for a '69 Camaro. The"Camaro Suppliers" wanted
$53.00. GM wanted $18.00...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom