Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front sway bar bushings

gw962

Corvette
1998 Torch Red Coupe
Rookie with a question...
I have a '90 Coupe with 93,000 miles purchased in Dec. 2006.
Now that it is warm enough to lower a window without freezing, I noticed a squeak in the front. Put it up on the ramps and bounced the car and clearly heard the bushings on the sway bar. In fact, they sounded like my knees in the morning:eek:hnoes

The question is, can these be lubricated and if so, using what?

Thanks for any help.

If they are poly, a thin coat of most any heavy grease will work. Do they look and feel like rubber or very hard (POLY)?

These look and feel like rubber and appear to be in good shape.

Hey Glenn,
The reason I asked if you had poly bushings is because they are notorious for squeaking.
Could you determine exactly which set of bushings were squeaking? The center two bushings are bracket to rubber to sway bar. If they are squeaking, loosen them and apply a silicone lubricant on both sides of the rubber that comes in contact with steel. I have not heard of using brake ffluid, but Hot Rod Roys says it works. You just don't want to use any products that will degrade the rubber. If it is squeaking at the end link, you will notice that there is a center steel core in the bushing. You could lubricate the link bolt that runs through the steel core. Could you also be getting a squeak out of your shocks? How old are they?
You know, if you were going to that much trouble to disassemble the sway bars, this would be the prime time to just convert to poly bushings, if you think you will ever have a desire for them.
Good Luck

Thanks, Hot Rod and Z07, I appreciate the quick replies.
I'll probably drop the bar tomorrow and lube up the bushings. I just want to make sure I do it right.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom