Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FRONT SWAYBAR

WONKABOY

Here is a question for anybody out there with the knowledge , well i know i need shocks so i'm getting them replaced 9/22 , but i still think something else is wrong besides the shocks , if i ride on a bumpy road / highway you better be holding on to steer it because the front end just moves to either side very sharply , you don't know which way it's going to pull, but on smooth pavement it's pretty steady and no pulling or wandering , but you can tell the shocks definaly have something to do with the handling , someone mentioned front sway bar ? Did or does anybody have this symptoms? and what was your fix ?

Thanks everybody!!!

Here is a question for anybody out there with the knowledge , well i know i need shocks so i'm getting them replaced 9/22 , but i still think something else is wrong besides the shocks , if i ride on a bumpy road / highway you better be holding on to steer it because the front end just moves to either side very sharply , you don't know which way it's going to pull, but on smooth pavement it's pretty steady and no pulling or wandering , but you can tell the shocks definaly have something to do with the handling , someone mentioned front sway bar ? Did or does anybody have this symptoms? and what was your fix ?

Thanks everybody!!!

It was my shocks rides 100 % better !!!

idler arm

Idler arm was my problem. Easy to install.
JU

Hello, well with the new shocks on it's 100 % better than it was , i have been going over the usual bumps i remember and it's alot better, but still not like it should be compared to other cars, my mechanic said he check everthing for worn parts and saw nothing everything is tight , the only thing that would effect the aftermath of the shocks is my steering box which he said is a rebuilt one with a little play in it, i know i needed front stablizers because the rubbers were worn but my mechanic said it has nothing to do with my problem , idler arm huh ? Did you experience the same problems as me , please explain, Thanks rick

Wonka-

What a great avatar! That has to be one of the best images of a C3- one from inside driving down the road!

image.php

Anyways, I know you replaced your shocks, but I'd check the bushings, ball joints, and linkage- front and REAR- if you are serious about bringing the suspension's ability up to a higher level. FYI- The sway bar has more to do with the transfer of weight during cornering than slop while traveling in a straight line direction.

Sway bars don't go bad. Usually, they just aren't up to the demands of the driver! Look at the back suspension too as forces transmit weight from the front to the back during cornering.

Aso, look at your tires. Newer cars usually have less sidewall than your 15x8s. That will effect cornering as there is less sidewall to walk under the wheel.

If you want better performance and looks are not important, upgrade your wheels to 16s or 17s, upgrade your bushings (switch to urethane), and go with the composite front monospring set up.

Great Avatar

Wonka-

What a great avatar! That has to be one of the best images of a C3- one from inside driving down the road!

image.php

Anyways, I know you replaced your shocks, but I'd check the bushings, ball joints, and linkage- front and REAR- if you are serious about bringing the suspension's ability up to a higher level. FYI- The sway bar has more to do with the transfer of weight during cornering than slop while traveling in a straight line direction.

Sway bars don't go bad. Usually, they just aren't up to the demands of the driver! Look at the back suspension too as forces transmit weight from the front to the back during cornering.

Aso, look at your tires. Newer cars usually have less sidewall than your 15x8s. That will effect cornering as there is less sidewall to walk under the wheel.

If you want better performance and looks are not important, upgrade your wheels to 16s or 17s, upgrade your bushings (switch to urethane), and go with the composite front monospring set up.

Thanks for all the info , you like my avatar ? that's my C3 driving down Rt15 here in Connecticut where the road is pretty decent with no bumps that make your (my ) Vette go all over!! I took that photo yesterday and many others , i tried to get in the nose and fenders , it looks awesome doesn't it?

Thanks for your help, Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom