Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FS: '78 corvette L82

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
Hi all

It's killing me to have to sell her but being unemployeed has taken it's toll and we all have to do what we have to do in life so the car must go.

1978 Corvette L82​

A VERY LOW MILAGE CAR – 9,801 original miles!
Lots of documentation including the original owners manual, window sticker, copy of past titles and registrations, service records, etc.

Original numbers matching motor, transmission, and rear.
Original carb, intake, exhaust manifolds, alternator, heads, and ALL other major components.

A No-Hit body, never wrecked and no body repairs.
All the original factory bonding strips are in place. Very nice gaps on the doors, hood, and headlight buckets. The doors sit great with no hinge sag and they line up flush and even with the rear quarters. Stainless trim moldings are in excellent condition.

Optioned with:
• L82 L82 220hp motor
• A31 Power Windows
• C60 Four-Season Air Conditioning
• UM2 AM/FM/Cass Stereo Radio
• C49 Rear Window Defogger
• K30 Cruise Control
• MX1 Automatic Transmission
• N37 Tilt-Telescopic Steering Wheel
• U75 Power Antenna
• ZX2 Convenience Group
• D35 Sport mirrors
• AU3 Power Door Locks
• CC1 Glass T-Tops
• QGR P225/70 R 15 Radial tires
• 83L Corvette Dark Blue Metallic paint
• 29C HDD2 Blue Cloth/Leather Bucket seats
• Plus standard features of: PS, PB, Posi rear, alarm, and more

Two sets of T-Tops - both the standard body colored tops and the optional mirrored glass T-tops plus the original T-Top leather bags

Recent work done on car:
• Brand new paint job
• Brand new tires and brakes (less than 500 miles old)
• Brand new battery
• Just finished a complete “freshening up” of the frame and engine bay.
• Carb just rebuilt.
• Radiator was recently flushed and pressure tested
• New motor oil & filter, new air filter, new transmission fluid, and new coolant
• AC system just gone completely thru and recharged with fresh R12 Freon and blows very cold.

Engine: The motor is the optional L82 220HP motor. The motor runs extremely well as would be expected on such a low mileage car. I’ve just completed a complete “re-freshening” of the entire motor and engine
There are brand new radiator seals to ensure proper cooling
The carburetor was just rebuilt by Lars and runs perfect.
Every single fluid and vacuum hose has been inspected and if any showed the slightest signs of age or cracking were replaced. Both fuel pump hoses were replaced.
New PCV, EGR, and EFE valves
New lower radiator hose
New emission hoses
The parts were replaced with either NOS parts or CORRECT reproduction parts.

The Choke Stove unit is not installed but I have the complete unit consisting of the front and back choke stove housing unit itself, new choke stove hose, and clamps and these will go with the car.

The motor runs strong, very smooth, and there are no leaks or drips. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive the car across the country tomorrow morning in it.

Frame & Suspension: Every part of the frame on this car is very solid with NO signs of rust issues or damage at all. While refreshing the motor I also went over the frame and suspension components. There was no rust on the frame from the firewall back although there was some surface rust only on the frame and front suspension from the firewall forward. I cleaned up all the surface rust on these parts and repainted the entire frame and suspension parts from the front to the back. There was no reason at all to repaint from the firewall back but while I was at it I did it anyway – no point in doing a job halfway. This included repainting the core support in the front and the inner fenders in the engine bay. I also replaced the front A-Frame dust seals.
The brakes on the car are new with less than 500 miles on them and the car stops on a dime.

Body: The body is in great condition. It’s retains 100% of it’s original fiberglass and is a no-hit body. All of the original factory bonding strips are in place. The weatherstripping is still all original and in very good condition. There are a few small places where the weatherstripping is just starting to show signs of minor craking as to expected from original 28yo rubber, but overall it’s in surprisingly very good condition and the car doesn’t leak at all, including from the T-Tops which is a common leak area on these cars. All of the stainless trim parts such as around the windshield and rear window are in excellent condition. All gaps on the car around the doors, hood, and headlight buckets are excellent. All the original glass is still on the car and in excellent condition.

Paint: The car is just completing a full repaint. It was properly disassembled, chemically stripped down to the bare fiberglass, primed, sanded, painted with 3 coats of Dark Blue Metallic (factory color) base coat paint and 3 coats of clear coat, wetsanded and buffed, and reassembled. The rocker molding and wheel wells were freshened up with new black paint as was the underside of the hood. The car as of today (8/4/06) is 99% completed in the paintshop and should be home within the next couple of days. It was also nice to confirm after stripping the car down that the body was perfect, no previous repair work visible, and that it required absolutely ZERO bodywork to get it prepped for paint. It was unfortunate and a shame to have to paint a car with less than 10,000 miles but while the previous owner had parked the car and not used it the last couple of years he parked it out in his driveway under a plastic tarp and that took it’s toll on the paint and I wanted the car to look as good as possible.

Interior: The interior is in excellent condition and just what you would expect on such a low mileage car. The seats, dash, door panels, carpet, etc are all in great shape. All guages work, including the clock (the clock working is a rarity in itself for a 28yo Corvette). The original factory jack is still in the storage compartment. There are no cracks in the top of the dash.
The aftermarket radio that was in the car when I got it was replaced with a correct stock Delco AM/FM/Cass radio. The radio plays very well and the power antenna works great.
The A/C was just gone thru completely. The drier/accumulator was replaced, all O-rings were replaced, the system was vacuum pressure tested and refilled with original, correct R12 Freon. It blows very cold as it should!

Known Issues on the Car: I’m trying to describe the car as completely and accurately as possible so you can have a fair and accurate representation of the car’s condition. Based on that, these are the issues I’m aware of on the car that need some attention.
One corner of one of the glass T-Tops has a crack in it that was repaired by a previous owner. It’s visible from the outside of the car if the T-Top is installed and you are looking at it but not from the inside and it does not leak. The radio reception is "OK" but not great.
* note, the other two issues I had listed previously have been taken care up - the underhood light is now mounted properly and the parking brake has been adjusted.

After going through all the work I did by refreshening up the motor and frame and painting the car than why am I now selling it? Well, it’s simple. I’m unemployed and can’t afford to keep it. A job I was hoping for fell through so the car must go. I bought the car as a “toy” and after putting in the time I did I hate to part with it but I must.

I have nothing at all to hide on this car and you are welcome to see all pictures I have from the day I found the car and looked at it, thru my work performed on the car on each step, the new paint job progress pictures, etc here on my website:
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page127/page127.html

The most important thing this car needs is a new loving home!

The car is located in Delaware and can be seen in person by arrangement.

Based on the very low original mileage, documention back to the original owner, and condition of the car, and options on the car I have an asking price of $20,000.
I've recently seen higher mileage '78's in similar condition with only the L48 motors sell in the low to mid $20's so I think this is an extemely fair asking price on this car.

email me with any questions at: corvettefun@comcast.net

**EDITED on 8/4/06: updated information including about brand new paint work and changing a few items to include some previously listed "known issues" as these have now been fixed.

hi all

car is still for sale

edited and updated original post today (8/4/06)
car has a brand new paint job and I have resolved a couple of the "known issues".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom