Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel filter + other Q's....

c4steve

Corvette
1989 red coupe
Ok,first.... Where is the fuel filter at??? Chilton said rear/right side and after crawling around under the back side (backed my '89 up on ramps) I could not find this F'ing thing! Even removed the spare.... No site of the fuel filter so I'm kinda... :mad .

Another thing,fuel gauge said one bar under a full tank yet it took $52.00 to top it off... WTF???

And the antenna goes up yet my radio has crap reception? Search didn't tell me much of anything but cold starts are a P.I.T.A! (hopeing fuel filter will help,will check fuel pressure soon though)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I bought a Fuel filter for mine too (also a new owner, week and 2 days now) becuase of a Idle problem that I hope i have fixed. I havent got around to the filter yet, so if you do find it post here (or whoever mentions it) or I will when i get a chance to put mine on. Sounds like your sending unit is not working to me (gas gauge), On a C4 im not sure, but I would look at the ground wire (again no idea if it has one, but guessing it does, that is the only simple fix i have ever seen on that type of problem) otherwise i think its a new sending unit, think its also the fuel pump.

Radio, does the reception change from when the attanea is down to totally up? If not I would check to make sure its connected on back of radio, then check it back by antenna. Receptions should go from poor to better when it raises.

Once again I'm new so take my advise with a grain of salt, I have been reading non stop on forums about the C4. Cold starting problem, well with any problems with fuel its alwasy good to start with filter, then air cleaner (hey, it could be plugged, doubtful, but worth a look) My Car had crap on front of the MAS. I also pulled the throttle body off and cleaned it (part on front of runners) its only 4 bolts and the accelerater and cruise cables and a couple hoses and some electrical, its not to bad. As for other stuff, the temp sennders go bad (or so i read) and that cuases lots of wierd problems. My idle problems where the IAC (Idle air Control) i think, but i think you can rule that out if it runs ok once started.

Most of my suggestions are shot in the dark type, I know somebody else will chime in with MUCH BETTER advice. Let us know how it turns out (waht you actualy did to fix it, when you do).

Clok

Yeah,I've had this thing for about 2 1/2 weeks or so.... Runs (almost...er not quite) as good as my '89 Firebird T/A (why'd chevy skimp out soooo badly on the "flagship" lmao lol!) . From what I've read only diff between my firebird and a vette is a strong, reliable,trustworthy L89(bird)..........................................And a L89 with aluminum heads ;LOL. No worse than ford's garbage head bolts on the turbo 2.3 (sadly know from personal experience).... Sorry,rambling.........

I've checked all grounds,vac hoses,fuses,relays and sensors..... Guess I'll just replace the pump and relay and pray its a fix, and since I've been told these injectors go at around 100k (136k on my bird w/ stock injectors,(wtf?)) might as well do them to (plus fpr).... At least it l00ks fast :rotfl lol j/k'ing. Love my vette :)

Fuel filter is on passenger side of vehicle just to the rear of front tire inside of frame rail.

Relieve fuel pressure before removing filter.

Remove two or three small bolts which hold fuel lines to frame/body.

Use line wrenches to break fittings loose. A "crow's foot" socket (line wrench socket) with a long 3/8" extension works nice.

Be careful of gasoline dripping on your arms.

SAVE THE :w

Fuel filter is on passenger side of vehicle just to the rear of front tire inside of frame rail.

Relieve fuel pressure before removing filter.

Remove two or three small bolts which hold fuel lines to frame/body.

Use line wrenches to break fittings loose. A "crow's foot" socket (line wrench socket) with a long 3/8" extension works nice.

Be careful of gasoline dripping on your arms.

SAVE THE :w

This sounds strangely familiar....I wonder where (and when) I've heard this before..:D

This sounds strangely familiar....I wonder where (and when) I've heard this before..:D

LT4man knows........LT4man knows......... :L

Don't forget to SAVE the gosh darn :w!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom