Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel filter

roger longman

Corvette
1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
Hi all, I'll be putting in a fuel; filter, a Fram or a Purolator (made in China). Should I pick one over the other, or doesn't it really matter ? Thanks for any pointers........Roger...:w

I'd go with the Pure... only becauce the Fram oil filters are not highly regarded here.

Wix or AcDeloco (AC probably made in China too...:eyerole) FYI, stay away from the AcDelco oil filters unless they are NOS.
I run a Mobil 1 oil filter. K&N good too. Wix as well.

Thanks Charles and Rubie, Although it's a fuel filter, I'm putting on........Roger.:w

Thanks Charles and Rubie, Although it's a fuel filter, I'm putting on........Roger.:w

Good point, still still stick with Wix or AcDelco. Plenty of junk fuel filters running around too.

Wanted to share this past weekends horror story.......
car was bucking and burping. Died on a country backroad Sunday morning. Had to get towed. I took the filter out and was unable to find a new one in the woods....but I did find a safety clean tank and washed it very well and pretty well sterilized the thing....laying in the dirt and crickets I got it back together. It Started and ran so I took off....

Same damn thing after 2 short 15 minutes trips. This time stalled out on the side of the hwy in 93 degree temps. I am NOT having any fun. :mad

This time I decided to go in the tank and see what the hell is going on. I hear the pump running and whinning like its empty but I'm showing 3/4 tank of fuel.
No start....no fuel pressure and I KNOW that damn filter is clean and clear.

The pump strainer looks to be dirty but not totally clogged. I reassemble and made it home where the thing started to burp and sputter in the driveway..
I was exhausted and pissed so I walked away till this morning. Once AGAIN I take the pump out for a closer and more detailed inspection.
What I discovered was a gel like substance that had gone thru the strainer and was clogging the tiny screen on the pump inlet. There was also some dirt and debris on the screen. I cleaned it all away, tested the pump. Reinstalled and drove all day with the fuel pressure gauge taped to the windshield so I could monitor the fuel in case this happened again. It did NOT thankfully.
Now that everything I own smells of overpriced gasoline and my attitude has been ruined for at least a week, I am going to replace the whole friggin mess asap with a better pump, new filters and strainer.

Question,
whats a good pump to give MORE GPM or LPH (vol & pressure) ? The stock pump falls behind as rpm hit 3500 and pressure drops to the low 30s and even into the 20s. The needle flickers way too much with throttle. I run bigger injectors and a bigger engine so I need more of a pump. I get the best performance at 50+ psi on fuel pressure. I need a pump that can maintain that at higher speeds.

Whats the next step up in fuel pumps for the L-98 fuel system? I'm not racing on the track but I DO want the most out of my engine and not a motor thats starving for fuel at mid to high rpm as it does now.

Hi Boom, Thanks for that. I can just imagine how it was. Good point or, fuel for thought....AAAHH..Sorry about that (not really).......Roger......:rotfl..:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom