Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Gauge Reading Question

F

Fasttoys

Well Guys i just bought my 87 Vet like 2 weeks ago and noticed right away when I filled the Gas Tank up it only went to 2 bars, then it was at 3 bars second starting the car afterwords and I Still have a full tank of gas, all my other gauges work correct without issues and the car only has 47K, Im issuing its an electrical issue but anyone know where my best place to start may be or a relay or anything to check, Any Help would be awesome and thanks in advance

Could be the sending unit in the tank.

Try this

It sounds like the car has been stored a lot. When that happens the gas will evaporate and leave a hard substance like a shellac on things. If I were you I would try putting some quality injector cleaner in the tank. Starting out you might try a couple of cans. Drive the car on a trip and use up all that gas and repeat the process again. This may remove the material that is sticking the fuel gauge sensor. If not you have had the pleasure of getting to know the car and what fun it is.:cool

It sounds like the car has been stored a lot. When that happens the gas will evaporate and leave a hard substance like a shellac on things. If I were you I would try putting some quality injector cleaner in the tank. Starting out you might try a couple of cans. Drive the car on a trip and use up all that gas and repeat the process again. This may remove the material that is sticking the fuel gauge sensor. If not you have had the pleasure of getting to know the car and what fun it is.:cool

I do not know about the C-4's but for the C-5's (I might have the models backwards) that one should use Techron to prevent the tank sending unit from gumming up. You can probably do a search here on the boards under "Techron," and find more information.

Thanks

Thanks for the help as I was really trying to get a simple fix as yes the car has sat most of its life with 47K and am trying to aviod pulling the gas tank if at all possible

Thanks for the help as I was really trying to get a simple fix as yes the car has sat most of its life with 47K and am trying to aviod pulling the gas tank if at all possible

You don't have to pull the tank on your 87, just the 4 torx screws that hold the fuel lid . Remove the rubber body to tank seal and volia, sending unit / fuel pump will be right there. Taking the tank out is ANOTHER thing all together as it means taking the back half of the exhaust off and the alum. rear frame section off..... Try the TECHRON trick first....good stuff

thanks

Well Thanks for everyones help so far and I sure did look into the techron stuff and ordered some offline as they dont sell it at the stores by me so will be trying that out as I plan to use this car as my new daily driver. Also thanks for the heads up on getting to the fuel sending unit as then either way this shouldnt be to bad at all.

On another Note has anyone ever run or is currently running the cambered catback systems with no mufflers and how does it sound, Unbarable on the highway at 80? so forth? Currently running long tubes also so it might sound nice but not sure, Let me know

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom