Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Gauge Stuck on Full

rmtsteve

Corvette
1988 Charcaol Metallic Coupe
I am currently looking at a 87 corvette that has a fuel gauge that reads full all the time. The current owner states that he replace the fuel pump a couple years ago and the fuel gauge has been stuck since then. Could anyone tell me if this may be a easy fix or not. The car has low miles on it but it has this wrong and the A/C blows hot air but the price isnt too bad, I am just wondering if these would be easy fixes for a first time owner?:confused

Sounds to me like he put the sending unit in wrong or bent something. The pump is connected to the sending unit. You need to remove the fill door...take out the screws that hold the unit in and remove to examine it. NO SMOKING..you could fizzle.

The sending unit is your problem and with any luck the float arm is only stuck. The sending unit itself can be cleaned using a q-tip and some wd-40. They aren't cheap to replace so I'd start by cleaning it. If you need any help with how to go about pulling the pump assembly and cleaning just PM me and I would be happy to walk you through some of the details.

Thanks guys, the fuel gauge situation dont sound too bad then. The car also needs the weather stripping replace around the hatch. How much and how difficult would that be?

This car has 57000 miles on it and the guy is asking 7000 for it. how does that price sound?

Most likely, one of the sender wires got knocked off during the pump swap. Typical GM fuel sender specs are 90 ohms full, 0 ohms empty. When the circuit is open, the guage will read full at all times. Consequently, if the sender or wire is shorted, the gauge will read empty.

Hope this helps!

rmtsteve said:
This car has 57000 miles on it and the guy is asking 7000 for it. how does that price sound?

I replied to the other thread you have going about this car. Did you mention what color the car is?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom