Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Indicators are Intermittent

MM-C5

Corvette
2013 Cyber Grey Grand Sport Coupe
Does anyone have experience with intermittent readings for the gas gage, HUD, and DIC?

At about ½ tank, the DIC reads Low Fuel, lights read Check Gages, and both the HUD and gas gage go to empty.

After filling the tank and resetting the DIC, everything still reads wrong for a few minutes, then all read normal. The problem will repeat itself intermittently until about ½ tank when the cycle starts again.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Tom ;shrug

Tom, try a search, this is a known issue. I believe the cause is 'gunk' (sulpher really) clogging the sender. Try a bottle of Techron, folks who have experienced this fuel gauge issue have indicated it works. Seems like you may need to periodically add the Techron.

HTH
Joe

silver98 said:
Tom, try a search, this is a known issue. I believe the cause is 'gunk' (sulpher really) clogging the sender. Try a bottle of Techron, folks who have experienced this fuel gauge issue have indicated it works. Seems like you may need to periodically add the Techron.

HTH
Joe

Thanks Joe. Dumb question on my part but is Techron a fuel additive? If so, it sounds like you are suggesting the problem is with the sensor inside the tank NOT with the electronics of HUD, DIC, or fuel gage. Correct?

Thanks again :w

T

Tom,

It's a fuel additive, and the identified problem with the fuel gauge is mechanical, most likely.

Joe

Last Monday I had to jump start the car and in driving it afterward, the entire gage system was flashing nasty messages of all kinds. I limped into the dealership and left the car overnight.

They advised that the problem was several dead cells in the battery, which they replaced. They aslo suggested that the errors associated with the gas gage, DIC, and HUD could have been the warning signs of the battery going bad.

I have not tried the Techron yet b/c I still have almost a full tank of gas. If the problem persists after it passes 1/2, I'll give Techron a try. If not, I'll run through another tank. Maybe the dealer is correct.

Tom

BUMMER!

Six tanks with Techron and still the guage drops to empty when it is between 1/4 & 3/8 remaining.

19% time left on the oil B4 a change, so i guess I'm headed down the road to change the sensors. Glad I have an aftermarket warranty!

The only problem is the the Dealer tells me most warranties only cover the bad sensor, even though they should be done together. That means potentially 2 trips - 2 deductables. :ugh

Well, here is the ...."Rest Of The Story".

I tried the Techtron additive through 7 tanks with no luck. So I finally broke down and took the car to GM.

All the bad codes were there to show that BOTH sensors needed to be replaced.

Thank goodness for Warranty Direct! They covered $886 and I covered $100.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom