Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel leak - rear

JohnnyC

Corvette
1996 Black Coupe - LT4
I have a noticeable fuel leak coming from the rear of the passenger side of the fuel tank. You can see the drip speed, about a coffee pot speed drip. It seems to be dripping "from" the fuel lines, but i can't see above things or without fuel dripping on my face. The lines look ok, slight surface rust, nothing i would consider corroded or rotted, etc. Drips when car is off.

I noticed this just when i filled up yesterday. I smelled fuel before, but didn't notice this large of a drip.

Thoughts/advice?
John

Take the gas door out and look down there to see where its leaking.

I have a noticeable fuel leak coming from the rear of the passenger side of the fuel tank. You can see the drip speed, about a coffee pot speed drip. It seems to be dripping "from" the fuel lines, but i can't see above things or without fuel dripping on my face. The lines look ok, slight surface rust, nothing i would consider corroded or rotted, etc. Drips when car is off.

I noticed this just when i filled up yesterday. I smelled fuel before, but didn't notice this large of a drip.

Thoughts/advice?
John

Thoughts/advice?
John

Thats where your pressure & return line is routed from the tank to the engine bay. It has hose on the tank (about 6")then is coupled to steel tubing over and around then down to the frame where it runs up to the passenger floor area where the fuel filter is mounted.

I do not believe there is any rubber hose in the side area of the tank...My FSM drawing is vague, but it looks like one continous steel pipe from tank to filter. Your return line runs next to the pressure line.

Get the fuel door off and get someone to start the car while you look for the leak with a flashlight. You can only see the top 6" of the rubber ends when looking thru the top/fuel door opening, so jacking the car and getting under it with an assistant may be the only way to find whats actually leaking. If the steel line has a hole, replacement is the only option, with a line thats made for this application. You might get it brazed IF it can be accessed. Either way, it usually means removal of the line.

If you;re lucky, it may be the rubber hose on top of the tank...that can be repaired with new fuel injection pressure hose.

i removed the fuel door and moved the boot, but couldn't see anything wet or leaking on top. I am just going to take it in this week. i imagine the line must have a hole or has been crimped some how.

Fuel line was corroded. so they removed that section and replaced with Nylon tubing at i'm sure a reduced cost to me. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom