Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Odor..........

Are there any other places in Canada where I could get a gas tank for an '81 Corvette?

I drained the gas tank and put the Corvette in the garage. I've ordered a used gas tank from Vancouver, BC.

Eventually it'll be fixed :bu

Sarann- I was getting worried you wouldn't find one. I am glad you had success!

Dave

BerlinaBob here: -Caution: some homes have their natural-gas/waterheaters located in the garage (here in SunDiego about 60% are that way due to lax old/building-codes which have been since changed due to tragic loss of property & lives; --although electric-waterheaters probably are not a hazzard) which is an extremely dangerous situation, owing that just the gasoline-fumes alone will hover along the floor and once reaching the flame beneath any gas-waterheater, will instantly ignite like a bomb and blow the roof-off to say nothing of the ensuing fire!!! Thus, if you rent a home with such a natural-gas/waterheater location, insist upon the waterheater being relocated to a suitable housing outside (avail.at HomeDumpo); --and in the meantime best leave the garage-door open (at least enough to let fresh-air circulate therein).
Another item to check, is to make sure that the fuel-line running from the engine-mounted(lower-Rt.Fnt.) Fuelpump to the Carburetor is a rigid/Steel-line, NOT flex/rubber; -owing that pressurized flex-lines can easily fail for various reasons, and so are to be used on the suction/inlet-side of the fuelpump ONLY! Hotrodders often run neoprene-rubber lines to their carburetors, either out of ignorance or "temporary" convenience; ---so beware!
If you are thinking of trying to repair a leaking Fueltank yourself (some Radiator-repair shops do it), then carefully drop a nearly empty fueltank, dump any remaining fuel (good for killing weeds) washout well with soapy-water then let sit opened in the sun for a day or two (radiator-shops insert dry-ice to drive-out the residual gasoline-fumes). Remember, an empty fueltank is far more explosive than an empty one... as an experiment in my youth, I installed a Sparkplug into a huge old "black" 100-gal/steel-barrel of the type having a ring-clamp holding its circular-lid; and dropped-in a few drops of gasoline. Then let the barrel sit in the hot summer-sun for several hours, so that the droplets of gasoline would become well-vaporized therein, --at which point I got back about 50-ft laying-flat on the vacant-lot, and touched the wire from the battery to the ignition-coil adjacent the sparkplug and.... CaaBoooooom!!! ---Blew that heavy(10-lb?) clamped-on lid some 100+ft. into the air (looking like a flying-saucer, --much to the glee of a 12-yr boy) -oh what dangerous fun!
Hope this memo will aptly advise anyone not knowing about such vital precautions; -we don't want any unnecessary loss of nifty C3's... :mad :cry:r

Vette/Berlina-coupe, I am getting the gas tank replaced by a machanic (as I think he knows more about this issue, than myself).

My Corvette (with the original gas tank) is currently sitting in our garage - with a drained gas tank and it doesn't smell anymore.
In Canada, all furnances and water heaters are located in people's houses (ours is in our basememt).

I picked up the gas tank on Friday night but it wouldn't fit in my trunk, so had to put it in my car (I drove home with the windows down because I could smell the gas).
The gas tank is now outside, waiting for me to take it to the machanic (to put on my Corvette).
I hope it's safe ......... :confused :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom