Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Fuel Pressure Test Video, Need Opinion

The check valve is in the pump it's self!! Still could be the short rubber hose about 1 1/2-2" long just above the pump!:thumb
I see it allot on older cars!:thumb:thumb

PS Some of the later C4's have a hose that has a thick side wall! 1" OD 1/4 ID!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
Both designs can leak!:beer

:thumb:thumb
Fuel line in tank...................................
#7 they call it a pulsation dampener, It's a Thick rubber hose they sometimes crack and leak back into the tank!!:thumb
attachment.php

Where is this from? My Service Manual doesnt look this good! Its very helpful!

Anyway, the hose you are talking about is #7 (in pic above) and it is right on the pump (near the top)? So, im just going to visually check it for cracks and such? Is there any way to test it to see if it leaks? With your experience what should I look for (cracks near top or bottom, clamps broken, etc)? I have never done this before so... Any advise would be great! Thanks for all your and everyone's help. I have almost solved this stupid little problem...

Oh yeah, in the video, is the pressure running good otherwize when the car runs? I am now starting the car right before the pump shuts off so the pressure is max and the pump is till running, it starts a little better now, but it sometimes still takes a few more cranks...

Thank again!!!:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

Anyway, the hose you are talking about is #7 (in pic above) and it is right on the pump (near the top)? So, im just going to visually check it for cracks and such? Is there any way to test it to see if it leaks? With your experience what should I look for (cracks near top or bottom, clamps broken, etc)? I have never done this before so... Any advise would be great! Thanks for all your and everyone's help. I have almost solved this stupid little problem...

Oh yeah, in the video, is the pressure running good otherwize when the car runs? I am now starting the car right before the pump shuts off so the pressure is max and the pump is till running, it starts a little better now, but it sometimes still takes a few more cranks...

Chilton's. (or Hayne's)

Is pump assembly the same for '84 - '96???

I bet FSM has a pretty good exploded pic somewhere too...

I think your fuel pum is done... Just change it! If it does that idling imagine at WOT making the 1st to 2nd gear change...;)

It's from the 84-96 Haynes Manuel!:thumb
Yes,It's #7!:thumb:thumb
Some have a 5/16 or 3/8's hose(Can't remember!) with clamps,Some have the thicker walled tube,what they call a dampener!(May or may not be clamped)
1. If it's a hose,Check it out you will see small cracks if there there!:thumb
2.If it has the thicker, there may be cracks down the inside wall at metal line or on the pump end!:thumb:thumb
3.If I determine a pump as suspect and remove it,A new one go's back in regardless!!:L You may not see anything,especially if it's the check valve,it's inside the pump and you'll not be able to look at it!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Everything you need except the sock comes with new pump!!
$45-$70 Pump:thumb
$8-$14 Sock :thumb
Depending what parts store you get it at!!:thumb:thumb

I'm purdy sure your problem is right there!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Whats a good pump? I was thinking stock AC Delco but are there any you suggest? Are there any things I should watch for when changing the pump? The sock is the filter for the fuel pump right? How many GPH should it be rated? Any other imput?

Thanks!

Whats a good pump? I was thinking stock AC Delco but are there any you suggest? Are there any things I should watch for when changing the pump? The sock is the filter for the fuel pump right? How many GPH should it be rated? Any other imput?

Thanks!
I prefer AC or Airtex!:thumb
There both purdy much equal in quality in my opinion!:thumb:thumb
Just tell them what kind of car and engine! Allot of GM vehicles use the same pump!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Went to pepboys and they have a Carter fuel pump for $74.99 anyone use Carter before? I might take a ride down to autozone or NAPA...

Thanks!:cool

I was refering to pulling the fuel rail and injectors to test the injectors for leaks, but thanks for the photos. I need to get that kit to take the fuel lines off. Did you have something special to block off the fuel?

The test would be block off the return line and see if the fuel pressure regulator leaks (fuel pressure drop) with the key in the run position? If the pressure does drop, how can I tell if its an injector or a FPR?

Also, I broke the stupid little clips for the throttle cable which secures it to the fuel rail cover:mad They were brittle I guess.

Your area around the injectors is real clean! How did you do that?

You do not have to remove the fuel lines to remove the fuel rail. Just unplug each injector and remove the four 10MM bolts from the fuel rail and pull up firmly on each quadrant of the fuel rail (front left, rear left, front right, rear right) and the whole assembly should pull up and away from the intake manifold. Place a t-shirt or towel across the windshield, behind the coolant reservoir, and rotate the fuel rail assembly up and over the windshield and lay it down.

You can now perform tests on the injectors and / or FPR.

CG

Well, put in my new fuel pump and problem solved!!!!

Thanks Everyone!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom