Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel pump for new engine

tat2ed

Corvette
1973 Orange 383 stroker
I want to put in a better fuel pump into my 383 other than a stock pump. My question is what to do with the vapor line running from the tank. It looks like most fuel pumps ( holley is what I'm looking at ) only have an inlet and an outlet. Their is no inlet for the vapor line. Is there a solution to this. I'm looking to put either a 650 double pumper or the new 670 avenger carb on. Any recommendations on a fuel pump for either of these carbs. My engine was orginally dyno-ed at 450hp. At least that's what I was told. The seller showed me the papers. This is my first ever engine replacement so any help would be appreciated. Don't want to have to pull it back out to fix anything

Thanks,
Jeff
:beer

do you know what the gph is approx. on a stock fuel pump? I want to make sure I don't get a carb that won't be starved for fuel.

I'm sure John H will have the exact number, possibly to two decimals places. :D

Let me ask this- how do you know what capacity your engine actually needs? We all know that the aftermarket pumps put our more flow and pressure than a stock pump, but for a street motor such as yours this excess is all just waste.

The 650 cfm carb that you are proposing is actually smaller than the stock Qjet.:beer

I'm not sure of the specific needs of the engine.I'm just not sure of what carb to go with using a stock fuel pump. All I know off the engine is that it's a 383 strokers with roller rocker heads and an edlebrock performer rpm intake.
I didn't realize a stock Qjet put out that much. I know the guy who had the engine was running a Holley 750 double pumper. I bought a new stock fuel pump today as I didn't want to use the old one from the other engine. Now I'm hunting down gaskets

do you know what the gph is approx. on a stock fuel pump? I want to make sure I don't get a carb that won't be starved for fuel.

A stock replacement AC-Delco fuel pump will support an L-88 with no problem; I wouldn't worry about whether or not it will handle your needs. A bigger/fancier/shinier/higher-capacity fuel pump will make ZERO difference in performance, and will overpower your inlet needles and seats without adding an adjustable pressure regulator and a bunch of Bubba plumbing. :eyerole

thanks for the help. One problem down, many more to go :confused

What carb is on the car now? If it's still the stock OEM QJet 750, then just get it retuned. However, if the engine has already been dynoed at 450hp (supposedly), then why are you changing anything in the first place?

I'm a bit confused... are you replacing your stock engine with this new 383 engine? Or is it already in your car and running?

:confused:confused:confused

I'm replacing the L48 with a 383. So I'd like to buy newer parts for this engine. I'm going to be putting an MSD ignition system and March pulleys on it also. I didn't want to spend the money upgrading my old engine. The only thing I got with this engine was water pump,intake manifold and complete exhaust system with headers.No ignition system,fuel pump,carb and other electrical components.Basically building it as I go. The intake manifold is for a holley body.

I'm replacing the L48 with a 383. So I'd like to buy newer parts for this engine....The only thing I got with this engine was water pump,intake manifold and complete exhaust system with headers.No ignition system,fuel pump,carb and other electrical components.Basically building it as I go. The intake manifold is for a holley body.
Well, I don't know if the intake manifold will fit the OEM QJet, but if it does fit then use it! You'll likely jsut need to have it rebuilt/retuned. (New accelerator pump, correct size jets and needles and you should be all set!)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom