Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Pump Issues

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
Anyone change a fuel pump in one of these cars?

Yelp - it is dog easy. Just pull off the fuel door assembly and the rubber splash guard. The splash guard will be old and crack when you pull it over the filler neck.

The pump and sender come out as an assembly. Clamp the new pump in place, stick the assembly back in the tank and you are ready to go.

The hole in the tank is big enough to get your hand in so you can have a good look around and be sure that the tank is clean before you close it up.

Well that sure is good news to hear. How low do I need to run the tank?

***get a roll of duct tape, fire extinguisher, and a water hose handy***

1.....disconnect fuel injector fuse(s)..
2.....start car and let it stall for lack of fuel....
3.....disconnect battery...
4.....remove fuel door....
5.....remove tank neck "rubber"...
6.....carefully remove electrical connector...
7.....note location of hoses and disconnect from tank inlets.....
8.....remove bolts around tank access plate....

***it would be a good idea to wet the pavement and the car a bit like i did to eliminate static electricity***

9.....VERY CAREFULLY twist and manipulate the fuel pump assembly out
from the tank. if you force it, you will damage the sender unit and that
will cost you a few hundred dollars!!
10....apply tape over the opening of the tank to keep vapors contained and
debris from the tank....DO NOT USE A RAG!!!
11....the rest i think was covered by other forum members.
***clean off all contacts before installing pump!

I guess that I left a few steps out.
First I pulled the Fuel Pump fuse and let the motor run dry.
Then I drained the fuel tank by connecting a piece of hose to the fuel pump and pumping the tank dry by hot-wiring the pump and running the hose into a gas can.
When the pump stops pumping there will still be a liter or so of gas in the bottom of the tank. I used a pump that looks like a large syringe to remove the remaining fuel and then mopped the tank dry with industrial grade paper towels.

My problem was crud in the tank caused by European Gasoline. I had at least a cup of non-flammable liquid in the bottom of the tank that would find its way into the fuel system whenever I drove over rough roads.

Well that sure is good news to hear. How low do I need to run the tank?
The current mind set in our crowd is that a full tank is safer than a partially filled tank because there is no room for an air/gas mixture to form.

I guess that I left a few steps out.
First I pulled the Fuel Pump fuse and let the motor run dry.
Then I drained the fuel tank by connecting a piece of hose to the fuel pump and pumping the tank dry by hot-wiring the pump and running the hose into a gas can.
When the pump stops pumping there will still be a liter or so of gas in the bottom of the tank. I used a pump that looks like a large syringe to remove the remaining fuel and then mopped the tank dry with industrial grade paper towels.

My problem was crud in the tank caused by European Gasoline. I had at least a cup of non-flammable liquid in the bottom of the tank that would find its way into the fuel system whenever I drove over rough roads.

The current mind set in our crowd is that a full tank is safer than a partially filled tank because there is no room for an air/gas mixture to form.

....humnn, well just to reiterate, teh tank does not have to be drained to change out the fuel pump and you are correct in saying that a tank that is almost full will be safer to work on (as above) then one that is not....

So to clarify things, I should fill the tank. I dont think I would have any crud in the tank but it is possible. I was just concerned that I would be working under the gas when taking the pump out.

Since we are on this issue and you two guys have done this. What kind of pump should I put back in? I woudln't mind putting a higher flowing pump just to cover my butt.

Here is the one that we used in Thunder.

To tell the truth I can not feel any difference between it and the OEM Delco. Rock Auto sells the Delco for about $70.:confused

Rember to buy a new sock as well - it is not reuseable. Be sure to put it on right the first time. It is more or less a 1 time on item.

My replacement pump came with good instructions - Like a ¨Linux How To¨.:cool

If you run into a problem I can email you the page out of the GM book but let me know before Monday, We will be away for a few weeks after then.

So to clarify things, I should fill the tank. I dont think I would have any crud in the tank but it is possible. I was just concerned that I would be working under the gas when taking the pump out.

Since we are on this issue and you two guys have done this. What kind of pump should I put back in? I woudln't mind putting a higher flowing pump just to cover my butt.

***what is this "under the tank" stuff??.....the pump is taken out through the top where you put the gas in!!!!!!...........use the stock pump unless you plan on running a hell of a lot of hp or you plan on drag racing, and in that case, your engine won't last too long for you to care......vettes are fast enough to begin with........

I know you remove it from the top, but I didn't want to have a full tank so that I would be working with gas to the top, hence working under the gas. I assume the fuel pump becomes submerged when the fuel is to a certain level.

I agree with everyone. It is esy. I suggest you have no more than 1/4 tank just in case you drop some gasket particles in the tank so yo can get them out if they fall in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom